Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #51
Icelander

Default Re: [Loadout] Delta Operator on an intelligence op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
He's not going to use it for buying a bus ticket. He's going to use it when the fecal matter hits the fan - if a genuine emergency arises and he decides to try bribing his way out. Gold is shiny. Also, we westerners might underestimate the stark appeal that the golden shiny has to people whose recent forefathers were desert nomads.
The forefathers of the vast majority of people you are likely to meet in Mesopotamia will have been members of an advanced and civilised urbanised culture for considerably longer than there has been civilisation in the cold and wet lands of Northern Europe, let alone America.

There are Iraqi Bedouin, but they are a very tiny minority.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #52
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Ideally also some gold to use as a bribe, to people who don't trust whatever one currency he's carrying (money is just paper, gold stays valuable). And in a sufficiently failed state, carrying as a tertiary "bribe item" some clearly labelled (i.e. in English and Arabic and perhaps also French) antibiotics could be good too. I just don't know if Iraq in 2011 qualifies as "a sufficiently failed state".
Dollars are good to carry for bribes. Unfortunately, being an E-6 Staff Sergeant isn't as lucrative as one might expect and SSG Nassir is the sort of dedicated high-speed, low-drag Captain America type who spends much of his salary on privately acquiring equipment when the issue gear doesn't suit him perfectly. I should probably mark the stuff in the above loadout somehow, to distinguish between issued or unit-bought gear and his own privately acquired clothing, pocket pistol, electronics and other stuff.

He probably does carry an emergency fund, but it's not something he was issued, it's a couple of hundred bucks he's managed to hang on to from his last paycheck.

He also has a few packets of Marlboros and a couple of Zippos, one engraved with a verse from the Qur'an and the other with SpongeBob Squarepants. For earning goodwill from selected locals or to show gratitude. Back at base he generally tries to grab cartons of popular cigarette brands as they become available at the PX, because they're cheaper there than in stores and make excellent 'diplomatic facilitators'.

Should probably add the Zippos and a few packs to his loadout.

He'll also make a few changes as he's sent on detached duty with the other PCs. I don't know how much of the USG-owned swag the player is comfortable with having his PC 'borrow', but I know that the budget for the fictional PSC subcontractor that represents their cover absolutely won't stretch to include all the fancy surveillance gear the player wants.

If laser and shotgun mikes that are compact enough, but still work, exist in the real world, those would probably be the swag that the PC 'borrows'. He also wants to get a friend in the unit to lend him a device for monitoring cell phone conversations. Of course, the drawback to 'borrowing' gear instead of buying it with the budget their cover company has is that if it's lost or destroyed, the character could really get in trouble.

In October 2011, just before the start of play, the PC will receive a new Beretta Nano pistol as a gift from his father (to better fit his tiny girly hands, as per loving note with gift) and replace his Glock 26 with that. He'll also use his discretionary part of the PSC budget to buy a pimped-out carbine and plate carrier that aren't USG-owned and stow that gear in the back of the fancy new Suburban his new boss bought.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #53
Kalzazz

Oh, another thing. He needs a bike lock, at least he would need to consider such a thing were he in the US. Smaller scooters in the US are notorious for being targets of theft due to

1. Oftentimes people are quite lax about going through all the niceties of being legally able to drive them to begin with, so less likely to even report it
2. There dinky scooters, not exactly police priority
3. Big reason! Small scooters are well, small. They fit easily in the backs of trucks and vans, and stout villains (or a couple less stout villains) can easily pick them up and put them their. The Yamaha Zuma weighs around 160lbs.
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #54
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Oh, another thing. He needs a bike lock, at least he would need to consider such a thing were he in the US. Smaller scooters in the US are notorious for being targets of theft due to

1. Oftentimes people are quite lax about going through all the niceties of being legally able to drive them to begin with, so less likely to even report it
2. There dinky scooters, not exactly police priority
3. Big reason! Small scooters are well, small. They fit easily in the backs of trucks and vans, and stout villains (or a couple less stout villains) can easily pick them up and put them their. The Yamaha Zuma weighs around 160lbs.
Yeah, on his scooter he needs to carry a lock and a bottle of water. Probably at least two bottles of water and maybe one of a sports drink, at least if such things are commonly consumed by the ordinary Iraqi.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #55
TheVaultDweller

I have a question: How did you come up with the stats for the sneakers with hidden compartments?

In HT, sneakers cost $40, and your price of $440 is not what I would expect of a "Undercover Clothing" modification (which would be CF +20, for $600).

Also, the +4 for "inbuilt" stuff was just GM fiat?
TheVaultDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #56
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVaultDweller View Post
I have a question: How did you come up with the stats for the sneakers with hidden compartments?

In HT, sneakers cost $40, and your price of $440 is not what I would expect of a "Undercover Clothing" modification (which would be CF +20, for $600).

Also, the +4 for "inbuilt" stuff was just GM fiat?
I used Smuggler's Luggage - Attaché Case (p. HT215) as a guideline. That's $400 for a compartment which can hold secret stuff weighing up to 2 lbs. These are two secret compartments which collectively can hold a little less than 2 lbs., so I felt that the same price was fair.

Giving a bigger bonus for something built-in than for just anything you could put there and remove at will seemed common-sense. It's also what stuff that is built to resemble other things tends to get in GURPS (examples include Push Knives disguised as belt buckles).

I'm guessing that the radio and beacon are Bulk -1, so combined, that amounts to Holdout +3 to hide. Seems good enough to me.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #57
Icelander

Default Scooter

SSG Akeem Nassir travels on a Yamaha Zuma 2005 that has been carefully modified to appear as unremarkable as possible (to the extent that it is marked Yomaha, a locally popular Chinse brand).

A new Yamaha Zuma appears to run around $2,600, but I don't know what kind of modifications you can get that are not visible or audible at all. I know he wants a cruise control and he'd like the ability to escape faster than a regular 49cc, two-stroke engine Yamaha Zuma, but not if it meant that a knowledgable observer could see or hear that his scooter was anything other than a run-of-the-mill cheap motorcycle.

I know that the Yomaha knock-offs are around $750-$850 locally, so he'd want to appear as if his bike is no more expensive than that.

He'll also have a bike lock and two bottles of water on the scooter.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-06-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #58
Kalzazz

The Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control was recommended for the Honda Reflex by several people discussing the Reflex when I was looking into getting a scooter cruise control, I am not sure what cruise control is recommended for Zuma's specifically

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-cru...b467b0&vxp=mtr
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #59
Icelander

Default Goodies that SSG Nassir has access to at his home base

SSG Akeem Nassir was a Communications Sergeant in the 5th Special Forces Group before joining 1st SFOD-D and still operates electronics as part of his duties. He's also a graduate of the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course and fully capable of acting as a forward observer.

As such, he has access to more equipment than what he carries on his clandestine intelligence operations. In addition to his personal weapon, body armour and electronics, he also has access to some fancy stuff in his particular speciality areas.

He doesn't own or even have sole control over the AN/PED-1A Lightweight Laser Designator Rangefinder or the computer and cell phone monitoring equipment, but he is one of several experts who can requisition them when he needs them. If his player decides to be daring, he can attempt to 'borrow' some of this equipment as he leaves for his new detached service assignment.

He would be doing so with the blessing of his fellow NCOs who are assigned to this last tour of joint operations with the Iraqi MoI security forces, but with the understanding if he didn't bring the equipment back without a scratch, he'd better have a good explanation for the Major in charge of the SIGINT detachment of Military Intelligence who administratively 'owns' the surveillance and monitoring gear, as well as the Captain of the SF ODA who administratively owns the 'spare' AN/PED-1A.

High-Tech gadgets available:
$200,000, 69.8 lbs.

• AN/PED-1A Laser Target Locator and Laser Target Designator (Pyramid #57, p. 12) [Base]. Includes 4 BA-5590/U batteries for 24 hour mission (9 lbs.). $50,000, 29.5 lbs.
• Hand Held Target Location Module; Laser Target Locator (Pyramid #57, p. 12) [Base]. $20,000, 5.5 lbs.
• AN/PSQ-23 STORM Expensive Heavy Targeting Laser (Pyramid #57, p. 12) [Base]. $5,000, 1.2 lbs.
• Biometric Scanner (Pyramid #57, p. 10) [Base]. $25,000, 3.6 lbs.
• Single-Threat EWS for Cell Phones (Pyramid #57, p. 11) [Base]. $25,000, 2 lbs.
• Multi-Threat EWS (Pyramid #57, p. 11) [Base]. $50,000, 15 lbs.
• Cellular Monitoring System (p. HT209) [Base]. $20,000, 7 lbs.
• Computer Monitoring Gear (p. HT215) [Base]. $5,000, 6 lbs.

Personal Gear Available:
$48,732, 68.02 lbs.

Worn:
$44,365, 57.55 lbs.

• Infantry Utility Uniform (Pyramid #57, p. 8) [Torso, Neck, Limbs, Feet, Hands]. Includes boots and shooting gloves, as well as dog tags. $310, 5 lbs.
• Bump Helmet (Pyramid #57, p. 11) [Skull]. $150, 1.5 lbs.
• AN/PVS-21 Low-Profile Advanced NVG (Pyramid #57, p. 10) [Helmet]. Includes XS battery. $20,000, 1.7 lbs.
• Tactical Throat Microphone Headset, TTMK-III (p. HT39) [Ears]. $650, 1.2 lbs.
• Nonballistic Carrier with Good-quality LBV, DR 1*, +1 to Fast-Draw (Pyramid #57, p. 15) [Torso]. $270, 2 lbs.
• SAPI Large Trauma Plates, DR 25 (Pyramid #57, p. 13) [Plate Carrier, Chest]. $600, 8 lbs.
• HK416D10RS Assault Carbine (pp. TS63-64) [Sling]. $1,600, 6.6 lbs.
• 30-rd Magpul EMAG Magazine filled with 77 grain Sierra Match King Mk262, Mod 1 OTM 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition [Carbine]. $50, 1.2 lbs.*
• Schmidt & Bender CQB Short Dot 1.1–4x20mm Optic (Expensive combined collimating sight and scope, +1 Guns, +0 to +2 Acc, ignores -3 in darkness penalties, T/100 hrs.)(p. TS64) [Carbine]. Includes T battery. $2,000, 1 lbs.
• AN/PVS-22 UNS (Expensive clip-on NV optic, Night Vision 9, 2x XS/40 hrs.)(p. TS64) [Carbine]. Includes 2x XS batteries. $11,000, 1.9 lbs.
• Grip Pod vertical foregrip/bipod (p. TS75) [Carbine]. $120, 0.5 lbs.
• AN/PEQ-16 IPIM Laser/Light Module (p. TS74) [Carbine]. $2,275, 0.4 lbs.
• Harris RF-7850S Secure Personal Radio; an Expensive, Rugged Small Radio (with base Weight 2 lbs., base Cost $1,000 and base range 15 miles) With ECCM, GPS and Secure Encryption (pp. HT38-39, 211) [LBV]. Includes rechargable S battery. $3,000, 1.7 lbs.
• 8x 30-rd Magpul EMAG Magazines filled with 77 grain Sierra Match King Mk262, Mod 1 OTM 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition (pp. HT166-167, 176) [LBV]. $400, 9.6 lbs.*
• 2x ARGES HG 86 grenades (p. HT193) [LBV]. $50, 0.8 lbs.
• 2x M452 Stingball grenades (p. HT193) [LBV]. $60, 1 lb.
• 2x ASP 31" Friction Lock Expandable Baton (p. HT198) [LBV]. $220, 3 lbs.*
• Kydex Undercover Sheath for Large Knife (p. HT197, HT154), +1 Holdout, [LBV]. $125, 1 lb.*
• Jay Fisher custom-made Kadi Very Fine, Balanced Large Knife with Styling +2 (p. HT197) [Sheath]. $1,200, 1.25 lbs.*
• 4x Combat Tourniquets (Pyramid #57, p. 14) [Limbs]. $140, 0.8 lbs.
• Military First Aid Kit (Pyramid #57, p. 14) [LBV]. $100, 2 lbs.
• CamelBak Mil Tac HydroBak Water Pack (p. HT53) [LBV]. $45, 5 lbs.

Waist Pack:
$4,367, 10.47 lbs.

• Waist Pack (p. HT54) [LBV]. $10, 0.5 lbs.
• Good-quality Lockpicks (p. HT213) [Waist Pack]. $250, 0.1 lbs.*
• Expensive Electronic Lockpicking Kit (p. HT213) [Waist Pack]. Includes 3x rechargable S batteries. $3,000, 2 lbs.
• Lockpick Gun (p. HT213) [Waist Pack]. $50, 1 lb.
• Bug Detector (p. HT212) [Waist Pack]. Includes 2x rechargable S batteries. $500, 1 lb.
• White Noise Generator (p. HT213) [Waist Pack]. Includes 3x rechargable S batteries. $150, 2 lbs.
• 8x rechargable S batteries (p. HT13) [Waist Pack]. $400, 2.67 lbs.
• 10x XS batteries (p. HT13) [Waist Pack]. $5, 1 lb.
• 10x T batteries (p. HT13) [Waist Pack]. $2.5, 0.2 lb.

So, what's missing here? What should not be here? Does anyone know specific brand names that should replace generalities?

*Privately acquired and owned. In the case of the magazines, only the Magpul EMAG magazines themselves are privately owned, the ammunition is issued. Has spent $2,175 of own money on this loadout.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-08-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:20 AM   #60
Icelander

Default Possibility of a suppressed pistol

In case SSG Akeem Nassir wants to obtain a special purpose suppressed handgun for his new detached service assignment*, I was wondering about which weapon he ought to select.

The tactical need he has is for a weapon that is extremely quiet; preferably reduced below 110 dB when firing subsonic ammunition with a suppressor attached. That argues for a .22 LR and a very high-quality suppressor.

I don't know if any real world baffle suppressors that are commercially available can reach -4 to Hearing, as High-Tech p. 158 suggests, but if there is some model available that can do it, I want to know what it is.

If any .380 ACP or 9mm suppressors can reach -4 to Hearing, it may be that the requisite sound reduction is available in a higher caliber, but I sincerely doubt that this is possible in real-life.** I am prepared to be proven wrong, however.

The suppressor needs to be a Quick-Detach model, preferably one that can be mounted and removed in just three seconds if it and the weapon are both Ready. That means it needs to be a 'dry' suppressor.

SSG Nassir doesn't need the weapon to be effective beyond 10 yds or so; but wouldn't mind precise accuracy at that range, to allow for careful head shots. The .22 LR easily meets that requirement in the vast majority of platforms.

He wants to be able to fire the weapon rapidly on a semi-automatic setting, in case he needs follow-up shots. A slide-lock would be nice to have, but it needs to be of a sort that you can disengage and have the weapon function reliably on semi-automatic, even with the suppressor attached.

By the same token, a reasonably high magazine capacity would be good, with 10 rounds as a minimum capacity.

The weapon needs to be one that is easily obtainable with a threaded barrel and which does not suffer any reliability problems when cycling with a suppressor attached. It also needs to feed subsonic ammunition reliably and cycle the action with such ammunition.

I'm leaning toward a Walther P22 or a Beretta U22 Neos. I don't know how well either weapon is going to cycle subsonic ammunition, but if the bullets are heavy enough, the rounds may suffice to cycle the action. If not, I hope there is some form of recoil-booser available for a .22 LR semi-automatic, similar to the ones many 9mm use with suppressors.

Any suggestions?

*In-game, possibly resulting from his CO sharing with him concerns that the State Department fact-finding mission to the Dhi Qar province that attempted to shed light on the recent deterioration of the security situation and the sudden spike in clumsily-hidden corruption might have collapsed due to covert action by an unknown enemy and not accidental misadventure, as the official findings seem to be leaning. Out-of-game, probably resulting from the fact that players are straight-up crazy and most PCs qualify for hospitalisation due to the paranoid, ultra-violent worldview of their players.
**By the RAW, you could get a 9mm firing Subsonic Ammunition (-1 Hearing), fit it with a -4 Hearing suppressor for $1,000 and end up with a 9mm pistol that was at 100 dB for detection ranges. If you had a slide-lock (-1 Hearing), it would be at the 90 dB line on p. HT158 and be no louder than a crossbow.

Last edited by Icelander; 09-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Tags
equipment, high-tech, loadouts, modern firepower, special ops