Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #4781
dcarson

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this one...

Between a lack of leadership, the hostility of Albany and upstate New York, the collapse of the Patroons in the the early 1840s, and the unrest in New York City, nothing was done. At least in Homeline history. But in this Q6 world Leisler's Rebellion was somewhat less effective, leaving the Patroons a little more power. This made the Anti-Rent War less effective too. This allowed an heir of the Van Rensselaer family to become the leader the New York successionist movement needed. Van Rensselaer and his clique have declared New York a Free City!
In a story I read they had one of the Patroons take ships and troops to what is now Deleware and both prevent the massacre of Swaanendael by the local tribe and ransome back the Dutch and Swedish settlers that Colonel Richard Carr had captured and sent to Virginia as slave labor. When Leisler's Rebellion and the Rent Wars happened the descendants of the ransomed were living in his patroonship and he did not have to give in.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #4782
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
In a story I read they had one of the Patroons take ships and troops to what is now Deleware and both prevent the massacre of Swaanendael by the local tribe and ransome back the Dutch and Swedish settlers that Colonel Richard Carr had captured and sent to Virginia as slave labor. When Leisler's Rebellion and the Rent Wars happened the descendants of the ransomed were living in his patroonship and he did not have to give in.
A grand way to start the changes. It could also lead to a very different America in multiple ways. Choice tidbit DCarson.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #4783
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Out of curiosity, have you read Harry Tutledove's "War That Came Early" series? While the timeline itself doesn't resemble this one, it has a similar starting point - the flamboyant but less competent Gen. Sanjurjo does not die in a plane crash, so Franco never has the chance to take over, which helps the Republicans hold out long enough for the Spanish Civil War to become a theater of World War II when Munich falls apart.
No, but it's a good changepoint. The USA would struggle to get into the war. FDR started rebuilding the military as soon as he knew we'd have no pragmatic choice but to get into the war. FDR might find he needs to get into the fight before the military is ready. It could hurt him in the 1940 elections.

Ancora Imparo
Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #4784
fchase8

I recently read Stephen King's 11/22/63 - good time travel book, well-researched, but long (took quarantine lockdown for me to read it...), and got to thinking about divergent Kennedys. I've come up with three, to be listed in three subsequent posts.

(note: I realize that a divergence this recent, and this tragic, is uncomfortable for some people. My mother didn't want to look at the back cover of the
11/22/63 hard cover, which is a mock newspaper headline of if Kennedy had lived)

KENNEDY

Ever since the discovery of infinite earths, Homeliners have searched for a world where Kennedy lived. Supposedly President Clinton pressed Van Zandt himself to find the JFK timeline, before being told that’s not how parachronics works.

For decades, it was all for naught. There were worlds with President Kennedys - on Dixie JFK had been a USA President, while on Reich-2 eldest brother Joseph Kennedy Jr. is the current President - but none where the timeline turned on the family.

Until two years ago, when the first ‘Kennedy’ worldline was discovered - to be followed by another last year, and yet another just found. This recent, rapid run of related worlds is weird, but on the Infinity scale of things, it’s no rain of frogs…
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #4785
fchase8

Surprisingly, Kennedy-1 (Q4, current year 1979) does not diverge on JFK’s assassination, but RFK’s - the near-miss clinched the nomination for Robert Kennedy, going on to the White House. As President, he delighted & angered Americans equally with his withdrawal from Vietnam and domestic ‘Great American Deal’. RFK was lucky again in 1972, Spiro Agnew’s corruption arrest rocking the GOP field, and third-party Dixiecrat George Wallace dividing the anti-Kennedy vote.

But his second term wasn’t as kind, with OPEC oil embargo and stagflation, bringing a GOP ’76 sweep under Ronald Reagan. Ronnie couldn’t repeal the EPA or ERA, but was more aggressive abroad. Currently, he is dealing with his own Iran Hostage Crisis.

‘Bobby’ (this world’s nickname) is a political issue in Homeline America, from conservatives demanding action in Tehran to liberals who want to stop the upcoming AIDS crisis. So far, Washington hasn’t intervened, worried not just about Infinity, but also Moscow & Beijing. I-Cops are busy trying to keep Iran from acquiring a projector & getting involved.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #4786
fchase8

Even more unusual has been Kennedy-2 (Q5, current year 1963), where the divergence was with Joseph Kennedy Jr. surviving WWII. This worldline has serious inertia, or at least historians were right that Joe Sr. had wanted his eldest to go into politics, for it was Joe Jr. who became a Senator. However, he didn’t have Jack’s magic in 1960, settling for the VP slot under President Johnson. The inertia has continued, with this Johnson Administration just enduring the Cuban Missile Crisis. I-Cops are keeping a close eye on any trips to Dallas that either man might have in November…

Infinity discovered this world (nicknamed ‘Joe’) when breaking up a swagman operation of mementos from the Kennedy-Monroe wedding. Instead of politics, JFK went into newspapers, then television, then movies. He’s now a big-name producer (the joke is he’s got more power in Hollywood than his older brother has in the White House), married to the film star Marilyn.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #4787
fchase8

It was only this year that Infinity finally found a world where Jack survived, Kennedy-3 (Q6, current year 1965). 11/22/63 was a day of no significance here, and Kennedy was reelected the next year. Now JFK is facing everything from Vietnam to the Voting Rights Act.

Time Tours wanted this world after a photo of Kennedy meeting The Beatles leaked, but that was off once an I-Cop team at The White House disappeared - with signs that Centrum was responsible! Further investigation is still ongoing, but it looks like not only is Interworld on ‘Jack’ (Infinity finally got to use that nickname), but inside the Kennedy Administration. Even more disturbing, parachronic researchers think this might have been an echo, might yet still be one - maybe it was Interworld that saved JFK, and Centrum thinks he will push this earth up-quanta…
Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #4788
Astromancer

Try this one...

In Homeline history, President Truman declined to run in 1952, although he could have done so, and Eisenhower easily brushed MacArthur, especially after MacArthur, made several embarrassingly right-wing speeches. However, in this Q6 world, Truman's popularity didn't sink as low as on Homeline (why is still unknown) so he did run in 1952. Meanwhile, Eisenhower had a period of ill health in early 1952 and declined to run giving MacArthur a free shot at the GOP nomination. "Give 'em Hell Harry." easily took MacArthur down and won a third term. MacArthur's defeat was so thorough that it sunk many conservatives with him. It also set up Truman running an winning in 1956 as well. The enhanced popularity and prominence helped Truman get National Healthcare through congress. Of course it didn't hurt that Truman had the goods on two important senators and the chance to use what he knew.

There were multiple other effects as well. Neither John Foster Dulles nor his brother Allen ever rose to prominence. The "Good Neighbor Policy came fully back and became standard practice.

Centrum, wants to gain greater influence in this world.

more later...

Ancora Imparo
Old 05-24-2020, 01:16 AM   #4789
PTTG

The dawning of the enlightenment and the renaissance, and in turn the industrial revolution, were both fundamentally unlikely events. Homeline knows that their region of the cosmos has a preponderance of ones where Europe escaped the medieval cycle, but there are others.

I'm wondering what some worlds would look like where the enlightenment was delayed by centuries. If, even 500 years later, the industrial revolution has yet to arise.

Most distinctly, it seems to me that colonialism, as a practice if not an ideology, would emerge only to wither away. Though, I suppose that in practice we might see more migration rather than colonies.

The Middle and Far East both had high population densities and trade networks, so it's plausible that they would take the place of Europe, but I'm more interested in worldlines that aren't simply Our History, But and Arabic-Speaking New World.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:53 AM   #4790
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
The dawning of the enlightenment and the renaissance, and in turn the industrial revolution, were both fundamentally unlikely events. Homeline knows that their region of the cosmos has a preponderance of ones where Europe escaped the medieval cycle, but there are others.

I'm wondering what some worlds would look like where the enlightenment was delayed by centuries. If, even 500 years later, the industrial revolution has yet to arise.

Most distinctly, it seems to me that colonialism, as a practice if not an ideology, would emerge only to wither away. Though, I suppose that in practice we might see more migration rather than colonies.

The Middle and Far East both had high population densities and trade networks, so it's plausible that they would take the place of Europe, but I'm more interested in worldlines that aren't simply Our History, But and Arabic-Speaking New World.
Part of the problem there is that, until the Ottoman State was in total collapse, almost all Muslims saw emigrating out of the " Dar-al-Islam" into the "Dar-al-Harb" as a profound sin. You'd need to change things before " The Incoherence of the Philosophers" was written. Get rid of that trash book and it's vile influence and Islam is radically changed. However, not in ways that fit your concept.

Unless you radically change Islam and/or Arab culture you might get an Island or two, but Arabic new world is right out.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 05-24-2020 at 08:25 AM.

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited