Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
DSumner

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
While I agree with the Core being just cars and cycles, I DO want big rigs, helos, and small aircraft eventually. I wouldn't mind boats and hovercraft, either.
I've got no issues with the 10 wheelers, buses, and Semi-trucks, its when you start getting into boats, planes, etc. that things just started getting to wonky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
I want roll-high, 2d6+skill.
I want a 5-phase movement chart.
Yeah, I miss the roll high myself, as well as the 5 phase movement. :(

Oh and one thing I forgot to add. A kickstarter page so they have some money to work with.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
adm

In my opinion, boats and hovercraft are fine. While interesting for a background, Military grade units, tanks, APCs, jets etc. aren't really needed.

I would like to add microplanes however, ultralights can be fun.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
Buzzardo

I want only two things:
  • A scale that works with Matchbox or some other readily available variety of toy car. SJG can make only so many, while those other companies are making a nearly endless variety of vehicles.
  • The ability to design my own vehicle (not in terms of appearance but in terms of loadout.

Other than that, I always liked Truck Stop, so I'd like to see the big rigs. I could live with just cars, though.

I'll trust Steve and Phil to come up with rules and game mechanics that make for a fun game.

Long live Joe Harshman!

Last edited by Buzzardo; 04-27-2012 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Corrected a double double word word
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Time to work on the game and a million dollar budget.
We're counting on you, Phil!

Having said that, you can count on us too. We'll obviously support it financially, but many of us will contribute with material for the game. I have a couple of stories I've been sitting on for the right time to publish from my "Meeting the Inlaws" characters published in the old ADQ that are bubbling away...!

Nevermind the AMAZING amount of weapon and accessory add-ons published by the fine fans of this forum...

Drew
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
Hemlock

6. Correct the Over-sized vehicle costs/weights so that they are not over-costed targets. They were specifically under-powered in previous editions to allow for car/ biker gangs to have a chance to take them down. Fix that. A properly built rig is awesome and should not be easily taken down.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #16
DSumner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
. A properly built rig is awesome and should not be easily taken down.
I used to think that until my first deployment to Iraq. Many an armored behemoth got shot up, or blown up by good ambushes.

"Death is certain, life is not."

"No one assails me without punishment"
DSumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
6. Correct the Over-sized vehicle costs/weights so that they are not over-costed targets. They were specifically under-powered in previous editions to allow for car/ biker gangs to have a chance to take them down. Fix that. A properly built rig is awesome and should not be easily taken down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSumner View Post
I used to think that until my first deployment to Iraq. Many an armored behemoth got shot up, or blown up by good ambushes.
Still doesn't solve the over-weight frames of Truck Stop, nor the rather different meaning of a space in trailers.

Keeping in mind, tho', trailers can be rather heavy, and really, should have max loads and suspensions.

For an extreme example... TrailMax FWTRD-100-HT specs notes this as a 53' overall, and massing some 21960 pounds, with a load limit of 100,000 pounds of cargo... So it has a CW max load about 122000 pounds, . And probably 1 point of armor... and 3 axles. For slightly over 40,600 pounds per axel...

A more reasonable 48' trailer (spec sheet) is 12,800lbs, and probably has a load limit of around 40,000-48,000# capacity (not specified in the sheet).

A standard 40' 2TEU container is about 8,800#, and has a limit of roughly 58,400# of contents, and is probably 1 point metal equivalent...
A random 2-axel chinese made 13m van semi trailer masses some 11000#, with a capacity of 44,000 pounds. Again, probably 1 point metal equivalent. Just enough to stop a handgun.

As for spaces... it was specified that a space was 5 cu feet... but a 40' van is 40' x 9' x 8', losing 3" off each side... roughly 2518 cu feet... or 500 spaces.

I can see limiting the spaces for weapons severely... but...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #18
schoon

What do I really want? Well...
  • Streamlined rules that make play feel fluid and quick
  • A robust vehicle design system
  • More good fluff about the world of the future
That about covers it!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #19
Hemlock

Quote:
Don't confuse real world physics with game mechanics.

If CW attempted to replicate RW physics, a RW .50 caliber machine gun would decimate almost any of the game vehicles.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #20
brturn

Vehicle construction
3D car counters!
3D arena bits!
3 or 5 phase turn
- I like the 1/5 second turn idea too..
Scale independent rules
- I agree that the game should come with and use counters for some scale, but the rules should be written to allow printing off a turn key for any scale.
Roll high!
- Only add, don't subtract!
- target: base + modifiers
- roll: dice + skill
Rules depth: from "board game" to "war-game" to "role playing"
- Make a very simple rule set for quick (30-45 min) duels to get people playing.
- Let them fill out record sheets and salvage their kills between duels, adjust/outfit their vehicle for the next round.
- Want more? Let them add in advanced rules.. (clearly marked as optional)
- Still playing after 5 games, and now invested in the character? Let's add scenarios, storyline, currier missions, etc..

Negative modifiers are fine if they don't happen too often, but try to stick to the add-only system. Also, since negative modifiers are really just addition to the other side, you can often re-write the wording to cover this: smoke screen isn't a -2 on your roll, it's a +2 to the defense modifier of the target, etc.

--Bryan
brturn is offline   Reply With Quote