Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #121
Mayor of Midville

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Thanks for the link. I would like to have something for my iphone as well though.
Mayor of Midville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #122
Traska

I have a very simple list of desires for CW6e:

1- Vehicle design rules, the same rules used for the published material stock vehicles, full stop.
2- Sourcebooks. CWCore would contain the basic rules, a selection of vehicles, and counters and such. CWDesign would contain the design rules, CWAir would contain the aircraft rules and sample vehicles, CWSea would contain boats, and CW:RPG would be the roleplaying side of it, all of it native to CW rules and not GURPS. Getting into a minivan shouldn't be an occasion to break out conversion rules.
3- Software... specifically, I want to be able to play online. A program made by (or commissioned by) SJG that allows for online tabletopping. See, the RPG world is a lot thinner these days, and not everyone can find a local group. I'm in PA, I've got friends in KY that I would love to play Car Wars with, but honestly, the commute is murder. Also, vehicle design software that you don't need a specific OS (or iOS) for.
4- Minis in addition to (or instead of) cardboard. I miss painting those little guys.
5- Setting books. Saw the idea earlier, but I like the idea of maybe tying the CW:RPG into the Infinite Worlds. Dealing with Nazis on the highway in a world where half the US was conquered by the Reich would be awesome. Or a world where the confederacy didn't fall (or rose again).

That's just about it, like I said, simple list. ::Grin::
Traska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #123
Jeffr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traska View Post
2- Sourcebooks. CWCore would contain the basic rules, a selection of vehicles, and counters and such. CWDesign would contain the design rules, CWAir would contain the aircraft rules and sample vehicles, CWSea would contain boats, and CW:RPG would be the roleplaying side of it, all of it native to CW rules and not GURPS. Getting into a minivan shouldn't be an occasion to break out conversion rules.
Ahhh.

If they could make a set of booklets the same size as the original ADQ's and Vehicle Guides, that would be awesome.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #124
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffr0 View Post
Ahhh.

If they could make a set of booklets the same size as the original ADQ's and Vehicle Guides, that would be awesome.
Yes - it worked really well for Crimson Skies.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #125
Pacey

What would I like to see most for a new Car Wars?

- it being released to the public before I'm old and grey!!
Pacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #126
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey View Post
What would I like to see most for a new Car Wars?

- it being released to the public before I'm old and grey!!

Too late !!!!
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #127
ammulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of Midville View Post
Thanks for the link. I would like to have something for my iphone as well though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traska View Post
I have a very simple list of desires for CW6e:
Also, vehicle design software that you don't need a specific OS (or iOS) for.
I put together a Web-based designer a while back:

http://carwarsdesigner.appspot.com/

It's not really built for the iPhone (I had a mouse in mind), but in a pinch you could use it in Safari on the phone. Granted, an iOS-specific version would be nicer. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
What is needed is a design program that will actually print out the schematic of your vehicle (I like the format used in the Combat Showcase).
If you click the "Record Sheet" link in the software above, you'll get a PDF including a walkaround and schematic. The diagram is not super-sophisticated, and FWIW I'd be interested in feedback on how to improve it. Here are a couple examples from the stock cars built in the app:

Scorcher
Serbia

By the way, be patient the first time you go in -- it's running on a free hosting service so it takes a bit to spin up, but then it should work OK.
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #128
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

What I want:
  • Vehicle design rules. Wouldn't be Car Wars without it.
  • Heavier maps and counters. I don't want to have to restart a yet another game if somebody sneezes too close to the board.
  • Phased movement with a larger number of phases. I like ten and could accept five. Three is too few.
  • Wheeled civilian ground vehicles only. Motorcycles, cars, and trucks; no aircraft, no boats, no tanks, no hovercraft.
  • I'd like to see maneuver emphasized over weapons and targeting technology. At a certain $ level, it seemed like the thing to do was to build what was essentially a pillbox on wheels and load it up with laser-guided weapons. That's boring.
Those are the essential points. There are other bits of cleanup and upgrading they could do. For example, I'm interested in Matchbox/Hot Wheels-scale, but that's a secondary concern.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #129
Chris Goodwin

I'm starting to think four phases with 5e style movement. One of the main advantages to this is that you can use all of the 1" Car Wars counters and maps, and it's easy to put 1/4" marks on turning keys. At that scale, movement is 1/4" per phase per 10mph. Drawback: 1/8" per phase per 5mph.

For minis, scaling all the way up to one car length equals 4 inches has all of the playfield size problems of 3 inches, but there's a middle ground: one car length to 2 inches. Potential problem there being lack of existing minis. Not insurmountable, though. This also brings us to 1/4" per phase per 5mph.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #130
HarbingerX

I'm going to repeat myself, with some tweaks.

Here's what I'd like to see:
- 5e mechanics but flexible on the phases/turn
- Make everyone happy by having rules for 3/5/10 phases per turn. I don't think very much has to change for each phasing. I think the default should be 3-segment, but a survey will answer that question.
- Multiple 'tech-levels' of weapon & gear choices. This could be divided by year of availability in future timeline. This is so I can ignore the arms-race craziness.
- 1e weapons / gear
- Dueltrack!
- 2e basic weapons / gear
- 2e advanced weapons / gear (ie. alphabet soup of ammo and gazillion armors)
- Heavy stock so stuff doesn't blow away
- 1.5x scale. I think this is really the best option. Offer extras for 1x scale and 3x scale.
- high production quality road segments
- arena in the box with 3d ramps
- 3d cars? Something cool. Micro-machine minis would be awesome
- lots and lots of vehicle designs (get community help!)
- lots and lots of scenarios for pick up and play
- iOS, Android and online apps for vehicle design and status tracking
- Pocket Cars Wars/Truck Stop/Sunday Driver for KS supporters
- print-and-play PDF counter and road templates (perhaps for KS only?)
HarbingerX is offline   Reply With Quote