Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Dragyn

Default [IC] Blood Reign

7:34pm
October 21, 2012
Ming's Chinese Restaurant
Chinatown, New York City

Ming's is, if not the best, at least one of the best chinese restaurants in New York. It's a small place, with a dining room that could seat about forty people, and it's never been featured on Food Network, but the locals know all about it. The food is authentic and good enough to make an Italian wish he'd been born in China.

The main dining area is seperated from the entrance lobby by a bamboo partition covered in stylized chinese dragons. Live bamboo stalks planted in glass jars ring the partition to lend a natural green vibrance to the barrier. A burbling fountain in the center of the dining area mimics a natural rockfall with cascades of water feeding into multiple small pools filled with coy fish and greenery. A small bar is at the rear of the dining room, flanked by doors leading into the kitchen area. The lighting is soft, but suficient, and low, lilting music plays over concealed speakers, adding to the "Chinese" ambience. Two small private rooms, each able to hold about eight people, open off the right hand side of the room, as seen from the bar.

You sit at a small table, using two of the four chairs, along the left of the room, close to the bar. It's been several months since the last time you got together, and the food has just been delivered by Lei, your favorite waitress here at Ming's.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [IC] Blood Reign

Vincent looks down at his plate and moves things around with a chopstick. "What do you think this red stuff is?"

OOC: I have no clue what to have my character do here.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Gemini

Richard's already tucking into his noodles with a ravenousness that betrays his class;

"Probably some sort of seafood, you know they use a lot of that here..."

composing himself Richard begins to ratchet up the small talk;

"So how's the bee-keeping going? It's bit of a departure from the work I'm used to discussing with you..."

OOC: I assume we engage in a little idle chat before the real action starts, right?
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Dragyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
OOC: I assume we engage in a little idle chat before the real action starts, right?
(OOC: That was the idea. To quote a certain dead bard, "It's not the beginning, but it is a beginning.)

As you tuck into your meal, catching up on bees, honey, happenings, and gossip, time passes and the sky darkens outside. As it's getting a little late for the dinner crowd, by 8, you're one of three tables still occupied in the main room. A lone businessman sits at a table on your side but closer to the entrance, and almost against the bar area, a small family is finishing their meal. Forty-ish parents with a grumpy looking teenage girl wearing too much make-up and a "Team Edward" T-shirt. Three others sit at the bar in various states of awareness.

You reach a lull in your conversation, and variously begin to consider calling it a night. A burst of rapid Chinese catches your attention from the other side of the entrance partition, followed shortly by the appearance of an average looking black man around the corner of the partition. At first glance, nothing seems unusual about him, but for some reason your attention is drawn to him.

He is wearing a black duster over what appears to be black pants and shirt, sturdy boots, and has a pair of sunglasses perched atop his shaven head. To Richard, it seems like the man has something other than clothes below that coat. Vincent is positive that he's armed, and with multiple weapons. Further, on closer examination, he has a definitive dangerous air to him. Nothing overt, but both the reporter and the mobster recognize it for what it is.

The man seems to take no notice of your scrutiny as he continues along the opposite wall, the central fountain between you and him. He stops suddenly, however, and turns to look at you when he comes opposite your table. His brown eyes narrow as he looks at you, head cocked slightly as if in curiosity. His right hand raises and tugs on his ear, while he looks at you. A moment later he shrugs and turns to walk into one of the private rooms.

A few minutes pass and Lei returns to your table. She pauses before starting to scoop up the dishes littering the surface. "Ah, Mr. Black would like you to join him. He said it would be an honor to have a few minutes of your time." At your curious look, she nods to the door through which the man had gone only minutes before.

<><

Last edited by Dragyn; 05-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Gemini

OOC: Did Richard hear what was said when Mr. Black came in?

"Thank you, Lei."

Richard had had a few drinks already, and didn't feel at all like being cautious, this character could make the night much more interesting, he thought;

"What do you say Vincent? I've got nothing better to do this evening..."
Old 05-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Dragyn

Quote:
OOC: Did Richard hear what was said when Mr. Black came in?
You didn't get the full conversation, but it sounded like a friendly and semi-formal greeting.

<><
Old 05-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
"What do you say Vincent? I've got nothing better to do this evening..."
Vincent shrugs. "He's packing more heat than a habanero." He holds up a chopstick. "And all I have is this toothpick here."
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Gemini

"Well the staff seem pretty friendly with him, I don't think he's about to shoot up the restaurant..."
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
ErhnamDJ

Vincent slips the chopstick up his sleeve. "All right, then. Let's go have a chat."
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Dragyn

(OOC: Sorry about the delay..)

As you enter the room, the first thing you notice is that the "Chinese Theme" is much heavier in the smaller room. The table is low to the ground, though with space cleared so that sitting on the padded ledge around it, diners can put their feet under the table and be almost in a traditional western position if they choose. Laquered panels stand before the walls of the room, with painted depictions of chinese myth and scenery in vivid color. There is another door, presumably leading to the kitchens, opposite the door you enter by. In the far right corner, a long samosonite-style case rests on the floor, lid closed but not latched. Mounted to the wall above the case is a simple rack, holding a sheathed sword. A hook next to the rack holds the duster you saw your host wearing earlier.

As to your host, he sits cross legged at the opposite end of the table, just setting a cup of tea down next to his sunglasses on the table as he watches you enter. There is as yet no food on the table, but there are two more tea cups set at your end of the table. From this vantage you have a much better view of the man's face, and notice a thin, old scar running from his right temple above his right eye, and ending just before his left. He wears a skin-tight, long-sleeved black shirt, cuffed at the wrists by bands of silvery metal. His pants are also black, and appear to be tactical BDUs tucked into combat boots.

"Have a seat," he says, voice gravelly. "I wasn't expecting company here."

<><