Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #21
knarf

Default Re: The Wizard of Oz: The RPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
And if I recall correctly, you're talking to the author of that one (check out his sig) ....
That would be me. Thanks for noticing.
knarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #22
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarf View Post
That would be me. Thanks for noticing.
Absolutely! And when finances are a little easier (right now, I'm even barring myself from $8 PDF purchases), you will have yourself another customer ...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Absolutely! And when finances are a little easier (right now, I'm even barring myself from $8 PDF purchases), you will have yourself another customer ...
You won't regret it. When looking at the Pakistani relief bundle, the books fell into four categories for me:

1. Hey, I was going to buy this anyway!
2. Looks interesting enough that I might buy this on its own.
3. This'd be nice to have for free -- I might like it.
4. Meh.

For the record, Adventures in Oz fell into category 2.

My logic behind the bundle was that if sum(cat(1)::normalprice) > $25, then I'd have been an idiot not to get the bundle, and so I did. But after reading through the stuff, I've had to recategorize after the fact:

1. OMG, this was awesome. So glad I got this.
2. This was really good and useful.
3. Kind of disappointing (or "just what I expected" if I had low hopes).
4. Bleh.

Oddly, more than a few things from category 1 dropped into category 2 -- I'm still glad I picked 'em up, but after reading them, I'm glad I got 'em for the bundled discount. Conversely, a few category 2 or 3 things jumped into category 1! Adventures in Oz and Don't Rest Your Head come right to mind; I ended up being really impressed with both.

Knarf, I gave AIO a short, 5-star review on DriveThruRPG -- well-deserved. For anyone reading this, if you're looking for a simple system that really tries to capture the spirit of Oz, this is the one to check out.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #24
knarf

Thank you so much for the review, Rev! I've gotten a few star ratings on the game, but that's the first time a buyer has left a review for me. Off-site reviews have been mostly from the Oz fandom, so getting a gamer's eye view was valuable as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #25
ak_aramis

Yeah, I've not read it in detail, but AIO is very clearly written from a skim, and works hard to present it straight. It was the "Wait, what's this? I've got to see it since it's in the bundle..."

I bought the bundle for Starblazer; everything else was bonus. AIO was a pleasant surprise.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #26
RobKamm

Okay, my curiosity is piqued. Before I create an account with yet another online store, are there any plans to sell the game through e23?
RobKamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #27
knarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKamm View Post
Okay, my curiosity is piqued. Before I create an account with yet another online store, are there any plans to sell the game through e23?
Back when I was getting all of my sales accounts set up, I did send an inquiry to e23, but I never got a reply. Perhaps I should try again.

Until then, it is available at a few other sites, too. And if you want the print version, you can get that over at Lulu.com.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #28
martin_rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
I've run games set in Oz a couple of times in Dimension-Hopping campaigns. The Oz books have a wealth of fanciful characters and settings.

"All right team, here is your mission. We've ideintified a Centrum intervention on Baum-1. Ruddego the Nome King is -- Stop laughing. I said Ruddego the Nome King is leading an army of Winkies against the -- I said STOP LAUGHING!!!"

I hope you've read the original dimension-hopping Oz adventure by Philip Jose Farmer, A Barnstormer in Oz.

I pulled it off the shelf of a used bookstore, flipped to a random page and read: Hank held the .45 in both hands, and he loosed three bullets. The two behind the simian which had attacked Nabya fell. The Winkie and the Monkey were rolling over and over on the ground. Unable to shoot from a distance without endangering Nabya, Hank ran up to them. When he got the chance, he fired, and the bullet went through the back of the creature's head and blew its face all over Nabya. The surviving Flying Monkey ran off but collapsed before it got sixty feet away...

Sold!

I can't believe I haven't managed to use Oz in a campaign yet, though I've had plans to before.
martin_rook is offline   Reply With Quote