Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
mr beer

Default Help stat a djinni's features?

PC Djinni character, I have a few questions that I could use some help with please:

He wants to take Dependency on his bottle. The bottle is breakable but can be replaced with some difficulty.

How should I price this? It seems like it's Very Common except when it's not and then it's Rare.

Also, he wants to take it as Daily on the basis that he needs to sleep on the bottle every day, but at -1HP/hour he will probably be dead before he can replace it. So I would rather have HP loss per Weekly but make it a Daily 'dose'. Not sure how to stat that either.

He also wants to be vulnerable to being Imprisoned if someone caps the bottle when he's in it. This is non-trivial as he has Involuntary Duty to the bottle holder. Should be get points for this? I think it's maybe an associated feature/hazard of the Dependency but perhaps it's worth a point?

Lastly, he can zap people with Lightning bolts, both as a ranged attack and a melee touch attack. Problem is, opponents often defend. For the melee attack, he could make Deceptive attacks, is there a good option to reduce opponents' Active defences against the ranged attack?

Thanks forum.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Help stat a djinni's features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
PC Djinni character, I have a few questions that I could use some help with please:

He wants to take Dependency on his bottle. The bottle is breakable but can be replaced with some difficulty.

How should I price this? It seems like it's Very Common except when it's not and then it's Rare.
Not sure about the rest, but pricing Dependency on a bottle should be treated as Rare - he's not dependent on any bottle, he depends on his bottle. I would treat pricing it as Rare instead of Very Rare as allowing for the replacement (whereas a Wraith item is irreplacable).

Ranged attacks has the Predictive Shots option, which is essentially a ranged Deceptive Attack. I think an Area Effect enhancement could work against a defence - if you target a hex rather than a person their Parry/Block would suffer against the attack.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:21 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Reprogrammable Duty fits perfectly.
He's like a robot that can be forced to follow orders, but through sapience choose to follow the word or spirit of said orders; classic irritable Genie.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Lastly, he can zap people with Lightning bolts, both as a ranged attack and a melee touch attack. Problem is, opponents often defend. For the melee attack, he could make Deceptive attacks, is there a good option to reduce opponents' Active defences against the ranged attack?
If you want to get really serious about avoiding active defenses, there is always Cosmic: No Active Defense +300%. I'd personally put that on the ranged version, and then make the touch version an Alternate Attack that can be defended against, with the Melee Limitation and double or triple damage.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 PM   #5
mr beer

OK, thanks for the replies all, definitely some good stuff here.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote