Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: It's TL8. What is my ogre bodyguard packing?

An ogre with a baseball bat is a legitimate threat (3d+3 crushing damage). An ogre with a boomarang deals 3d+2 crushing damage out to 120 yards.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #22
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

I am thinking the Patron needs to be thinking about what the capabilities of his enemies are. Are they openly murderous or willing to use gas, poison, bio/radiation weapons against him? The latter option might be a lot more fun...

If the Ogre is going to snatch the Patron up and make sure he gets shoved into a panic room, escape vehicle, or through a door designed for maximum slow down of pursuit I am thinking it is more important that all of those things be sized for the SM+1. So customized transport and lairs/HQs/mansions and office buildings.

If he is expected to make sure the Patron is alive then outfitting him with modern first aid and stabilizing meds is going to be a primary consideration. Also being able to protect an unconscious or immobilized Patron that still needs to be moved. To that end I would furnish an Ogre bodyguard with a stylish cloak and and a pauldron. The cloak is of course kevlar or better. The pauldron is actually a helmet for the Patron. Slap it on his head, roll him in the cloak and take off with Dear Patron under arm or over shoulder.

The means to break contact by stealth or force needs to be considered as well. Smoke, flash-bangs, and on up to offensive and defensive grenades or even claymores if the collateral damage would be low.

The Ogre could carry a heck of an arsenal of less than lethal weapons like tasers and stun wands - maybe a staff? Maybe up the effectiveness? Mag-fed semi-auto shotgun with bean bag rounds? Chemical deterrents like CS?
Old 05-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #23
Inky

Good thinking, there are more uses for an unusually strong bodyguard than just intimidation or bigger guns.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:10 PM   #24
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
And by not carrying a really big gun he has the unencumbered load to carry things like first aid kit that covers everything, smoke grenades, sat phone in case cell service is out, fire extinguisher, and other things to keep his boss alive. Bribe money, cash, gold and shines.
Most of these tasks are probably better suited to the pixie bodyguard.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #25
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
<snip>Nice analysis of armor<snip>

Failing that, and using modified weapons, a pistol-configuration shotgun might be workable,<snip>
Indulging the hoplophilia for a moment - my vote for a handgun sized shot gun would be a Fostech - Origin 12. A very fast action shotgun fed by 5, 8, or 10 round magazines (20 and 30 round drums available also). Available with an NFA 9.5" barrel (so special licensing) and a folding stock that makes it not much longer than an Uzi. If the stock folds it can be removed (possibly making it illegal) on the other hand it will probably fire with stock folded. Load with 605grain 12 ga hollow points made by OATH. Here is a pic

And the slug...
Old 05-25-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
SimonAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So today's technology plus the DF ogre (SM +1, ST 20). What kind of armor and weapons would my ogre be packing? :o)
Armor would be same as everyone else upscaled to Size modifier +1 , basically DR 16 Kevlar or if he is an obvious guard 4+ with ceramic hardplate (DR35 in GURPS) The armor size scaling would basically make encumbrance around the same as anyone else even with Ogre strength

A concelable melee weapon like a pipe would work fine and do huge damage.

As for guns. If ogres are dumb IQ 8 types go simple, big revolver (50 cal or 44 magnum) , double shotgun in 10-12 gauge. That 500 Smith And Wesson Revolver would be just manageable for someone with 6x human strength.

If smarter A 10mm auto pistol using the hottest 10mm loads (+p in GURPS terms) would also be pretty good for such a strong big dude. Depending on hand size, a custom frame "Ogre" line of guns might exist. These would be -2 for humans do to grip size I'd guess

If you like splashy a .50 AE Desert Eagle would work well too.

As for a rifle an AR10 full auto variant while usable albeit poorly by humans would be much easier to manage for an ogre and make for a pretty good assault rifle.

Another options 10mm SMG of some kind like an MP5 Variant with special grips would be the Ogre version of a Skorpion or Mini UZi and highly effective.

Again if custom ogre arms exist, 8 or 6 gauge guns with the same operating characteristics as human guns.

Last edited by SimonAce; 05-25-2020 at 04:47 PM.
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:35 PM   #27
Donny Brook

Cut down one of these for one-hand operation and add an extended magazine:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-shotguns.html
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 AM   #28
AlexanderHowl

I really doubt that any civilized society will let ogre bodyguards walk around with heavy munitions (after all, bullets do not stop when they miss their targets, and high kinetic energy rounds can travel through several houses before they stop being dangerous). Ogre soldiers will likely have heavy weapons and carry enough ammo to make them worthwhile. A heavy weapon squad of 8 ogres commanded by 2 humans would likely be terrifying on a battlefield (conversely, a rifle squad with 8 humans and 2 ogres would have a lot of operational flexibility).

Anyway, I am not sure that many modern weapons will necessarily be better than archaic weapons when wielded by ST 20 people. A fine hatchet would deal 3d+3 cutting up to 30 yards away, and an ogre could carry 20 of them without any major issues. With a little practice, they could target arms and legs, which likely do not have sufficient armor for protection.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 05-26-2020 at 12:38 AM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #29
copeab

Back in the 90's, in a GURPS cyberfantasy campaign I ran, there was a half troll PC whose favored weapons were a .50 Desert Eagle and a two-handed double-headed axe. Although he wasn't technically a bodyguard ...

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #30
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Anyway, I am not sure that many modern weapons will necessarily be better than archaic weapons when wielded by ST 20 people. A fine hatchet would deal 3d+3 cutting up to 30 yards away, and an ogre could carry 20 of them without any major issues. With a little practice, they could target arms and legs, which likely do not have sufficient armor for protection.
For the same weight, the ogre could carry a Desert Eagle in .50 AE with 59 additional magazines (7 shots each, for a grand total of 420 shots, or 421 if he carries the DEagle loaded with 7+1). Damage and wounding are comparable (4d pi+) and range is superior (if that matters); if overpenetration is a concern, hollowpoint or frangible rounds are an option, with the added benefit of boosting damage class to pi++. Limb wounds aren't quite as severe from a sheer numbers perspective (limbs treat everything larger than pi- as just pi, for x1), but an average hit that deals 14 HP Injury will cripple the limb of anyone with less than 28 HP. The weapon isn't as useful in close combat, but 2d+3 cr (assuming training in Brawling) is nothing to sneeze at.

Of course, a total of 60 magazines is probably overkill; save some of that weight to let him carry additional gear.