Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Anders

Default It's TL8. What is my ogre bodyguard packing?

So today's technology plus the DF ogre (SM +1, ST 20). What kind of armor and weapons would my ogre be packing? :o)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: It's TL8. What is my ogre bodyguard packing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
So today's technology plus the DF ogre (SM +1, ST 20). What kind of armor and weapons would my ogre be packing? :o)
Definitely not the most efficient, but I played in an urban fantasy where an ogre mafia muscle used the Jaws of Life as a weapon. Floored someone, stood on their chest and so slowly used it. Definitely left an impression.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
The Colonel

...as a licenced CPO, will depend on where you are. ;-)

Seriously, if you are looking for firearms and what have you, it's worth remembering that most of the kit out there will be designed for humans and then modified for ogres. Of course, being an ogre he can probably use weapons which are marginal for humans due to the recoil and can concealed carry larger weapons. So he can probably use some of the stupid big pistols (.454 Casul Revolved, .50AE Desert Eagle) in a practical manner, and maybe use a 12G shotgun one handed (or split the difference and get shot shells made up for a big revolver, Taurus style). For long arms consider some of the 7.62 NATO battle rifles - which he may actually be able to control on full auto - and 8G and 10G shotguns (if anyone makes a 10G in tactical format...). All of these subject to getting grips and triggers rebuilt, which should be fairly easy for a skilled armourer, if not cheap. If you can swing heavy weapons, obviously light role GPMGs will be much easier on him, but you might consider a rebuild of one of those Japanese Type 97 "anti tank rifles" from WW2. That will get people's attention.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Anders

I saw a human shoot a 2G rifle, so I bet he could. But what's the advantage? Apart from intimidation factor, that would be hilarious overkill.

Edit: The rifle I saw weighed 44 lbs. Now, that's a lot, but a ST 20 ogre has a Basic Lift of 80 lbs. Shooting a rifle that's half your Basic Lift is perfectly doable.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
David Johnston2

The main difference between the ogre bodyguard and a regular one is that he'd be able to layer the kevlar and still be pretty unencumbered. He's not going to be packing a bipod machine gun the way his military counterparts would be. But he probably would prefer the biggest pistols.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
Daigoro

Give him a punt gun.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
Anders

A punt gun is nice, but less so if there are civilians around. Or is that a concern?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Daigoro

I guess there wouldn't be many civilians around when they see the ogre with a punt gun.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
Anders

WRT pistol, this one seems suitable.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Varyon

Armor will need to be custom-made, or at least heavily modified, unless ogres are common enough. For the same level of protection, it's going to weigh around 2.25x as much as human armor. For modern armor, thickness is actually a limiter; armor that's roughly as comfortable for the ogre as for a human will be 1.5x as thick and thus 3.375x as heavy, which means it's actually proportionally a bit lighter for the ogre than for a human (the ogre has 4x the BL). I'd probably use those numbers for an ogre's armor - the TL 8 concealable vest (HT66,67), scaled up to an ogre, would have around DR 18/7* (protecting against 5d rifles) and weigh around 6.75 lb; an anti-stab plate would add +6 DR and weigh 1.69 lb, a small trauma plate would give +37 DR and weigh 10.13 lb, and a large trauma plate would give +37 DR and weigh 13.5 lb. Note the combination of vest and trauma plate would give DR 55 against piercing, enough to soak up a bit south of 16d, meaning it will stop anything short of an M82A firing armor-piercing ammo. Limb armor may be more practical for ogres - it won't give them a lot of protection, but while something comfortable for a human to wear might not give enough protection to bother with, increasing DR by 1.75x (so it's proportionally the same weight as on a human) may be enough to make it worthwhile, particularly if the ogres are largely up against puny humans.

For weaponry, that's going to depend on what they expect to face and what legal rules they have to abide by, as well as what's available. Full custom work (or common firearms, if ogres are common) might see a handgun firing something more like a rifle round, as an ogre's hands can manage a wider grip, and their strength accommodates the increased weight and recoil just fine. Failing that, and using modified weapons, a pistol-configuration shotgun might be workable, or they might just use normal-caliber handguns, modified for an ogre's grip, and be able to carry a lot of spare magazines (probably extended magazines, if the law permits). A melee weapon isn't a horrible idea, although with appropriate martial arts training may not be necessary given the massive strength difference (and lesser, but still important, reach difference) between an ogre and a human. Such a weapon is probably fine being blunt (they've got enough strength that giving it an edge probably isn't going to make the enemy any dead-er), but should of course be a backup to a firearm. Given the size difference between you and your bodyguard, giving him a ballistic shield to hold up while standing in front of you might be a good idea, particularly if you build one with a gunport or similar for his pistol.