Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #1
martinl

Default Encounter at 10 Crown Caves, a DFRPG 1 Page Dungeon

I've attempted a 1-Page Dungeon for DFRPG. You can grab it here.

Feedback welcome.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
Yssa

Default Re: Encounter at 10 Crown Caves, a DFRPG 1 Page Dungeon

Very Cool! It seems to have enough detail to be a fun one-off on its own and enough leeway to fit into a longer adventure. 2 thoughts:

1. Which way does the river flow. This could easily be a GM's decision, but when you mentioned the canoe I found myself wondering, if PCs jump into the boat and cut the rope, are the rapids going to take them off the map to the south, or into the Perfidious weeds?

2. The damage description for the trap is a bit unclear: I'm assuming you roll one damage roll (1d-1 + followup) to each of four random hit locations, and not four damage rolls to each of various locations, but the current wording could allow for either.
Yssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssa View Post
2. The damage description for the trap is a bit unclear: I'm assuming you roll one damage roll (1d-1 + followup) to each of four random hit locations, and not four damage rolls to each of various locations, but the current wording could allow for either.
I'm not the author, but a worked example to make sure I'm following along:

Version A)
Bob (DR0 everywhere) suffers the trap. The GM rolls 1d-1 cutting and gets 2. She then rolls four hit locations and gets Right Arm, Left Hand, Torso, and Torso. Bob suffers four separate 3 injury wounds, for a total of 12 injury. Bob also has to check for Tetanus four times.

Version B)
Alice (DR0 everywhere) suffers the trap. The GM rolls 1d-1 cutting four times, and gets 2, 3, 4, and 1. She then rolls four hit locations and gets Right Arm, Left Hand, Torso, and Torso. Alice suffers 3 injury to the right arm, 4 injury to the left hand, 6 injury to the torso, and 1 injury to the torso, for a total of 14 injury.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
Dalin

Cool! I will use this for my next one-shot. Love the map too. (I just looked up Dyson Logos... I had no idea that that trove existed!)

I appreciate the way this could be handled in different ways by different groups. One group might charge in and fight their way through everything. Another could use stealth to free the goblins. Another might depend on influence skills to negotiate with the ogres and/or goblins. Even with the straight combat approach, there are enough entrances and internal features to provide plenty of interesting strategic and tactical choices.

I'm curious about the karkadann (note that you spelled it "kardakan") in area 2 and the goblin cowherd in area 3. I think your intent is that the karkadann belong to the ogres and the goblin is their employee. But maybe the goblin is associated with the prisoners and the herd belongs to them.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
zuljita

I'd love to see a link to the original map from Dyson if it's free to access, I'd quite likely print that sucker out.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
I'd love to see a link to the original map from Dyson if it's free to access, I'd quite likely print that sucker out.
The Ten Crown River Caves
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 AM   #7
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yssa View Post
1. Which way does the river flow.
2. The damage description for the trap is a bit unclear
Clarified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Version B)
Alice (DR0 everywhere) suffers the trap. The GM rolls 1d-1 cutting four times, and gets 2, 3, 4, and 1. She then rolls four hit locations and gets Right Arm, Left Hand, Torso, and Torso. Alice suffers 3 injury to the right arm, 4 injury to the left hand, 6 injury to the torso, and 1 injury to the torso, for a total of 14 injury.
+ falling damage, but this, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Love the map too. (I just looked up Dyson Logos... I had no idea that that trove existed!)
Dyson's maps are veritable gaming treasure, yes. Check out his mega delves if you want to be awed.
Quote:
I appreciate the way this could be handled in different ways by different groups. One group might charge in and fight their way through everything. Another could use stealth to free the goblins. Another might depend on influence skills to negotiate with the ogres and/or goblins. Even with the straight combat approach, there are enough entrances and internal features to provide plenty of interesting strategic and tactical choices.
That is intentional, and thanks for noticing!
Quote:
I'm curious about the karkadann (note that you spelled it "kardakan")
That's just how they spell it in Hobbiton. Really. OK, I missed this in the re-edit and don't want to do it again. Good catch.
Quote:
in area 2 and the goblin cowherd in area 3. I think your intent is that the karkadann belong to the ogres and the goblin is their employee. But maybe the goblin is associated with the prisoners and the herd belongs to them.
Clarified that is just an evil farmer with stats close to a goblin. (In a 1 pager you use existing stat blocks.)

Bonus: I added a file of battlemaps. You can print them out, trim/fold a few margins, and play with minis/counters/actual players you shrunk using mad science!
Mad science not included. martinl, Dyson, and SJG are not responsible for any side effects of mad science.

Last edited by martinl; 05-08-2019 at 05:34 AM.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Dyson's maps are veritable gaming treasure, yes.
I love his evocative maps, however I wish there were 'clean' versions (without the hash marks).

Altering or printing his maps are such a pain (in the time and ink usage)
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
GMJer

This 1 page dungeon rocks! I have only GM'd for older players the last 15 years. Typically our play style has been lighthearted/tongue in cheek, but folks also enjoying a bit of problem solving. This should really work with that style. Thank you very much for posting it!
GMJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Feedback welcome.
Good job, and we need more of this. Folks should be writing short DFRPG/GURPS Dungeon Fantasy adventures and putting them online.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, dfrpg, maneatingcows