Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 10-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #61
larsdangly

Default Re: Conan the wizard

IQ is no longer a 'dump stat' for starting heroes. I feel like '10' is the new '8' when it comes to writing up a fresh hero sort of character, almost irrespective of what direction they are going to go. You pay a significant price in initial combat ability, but also have access to the more competent talents and can begin well on your way to the sort of character you want to be.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #62
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
IQ is no longer a 'dump stat' for starting heroes. I feel like '10' is the new '8' when it comes to writing up a fresh hero sort of character, almost irrespective of what direction they are going to go. You pay a significant price in initial combat ability, but also have access to the more competent talents and can begin well on your way to the sort of character you want to be.
TBH, one of most original aspects of TFT was that there never really was a 'dump stat' for any character. Sure, a wizard needs IQ for the best spells, but he is just as dependent on a decent ST and DX to be effective at casting them. The reverse is true for heroes.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:46 PM   #63
larsdangly

In my experience, most combat-oriented heroes started with IQ 8 or 9 in the old edition, whereas now its pretty tempting to have 9 or 10 or even 11 be typical because of the talents you get access to. ST for wizards feels pretty much unchanged from the original to me: sure, you always want more, but when you first start out that extra point of DX or IQ is much more valuable than 1 extra point of ST. So, wizards with starting ST of 8, 9 or maybe10 seem to be what my players have in mind.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conan, wizard