Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
quarkstomper

Default Disad with Trigger? Ginger's Tail

I'm trying to reconstruct a character sheet for Ginger DuPree, the heroine of my webcomic, HANNIBAL TESLA ADVENTURE MAGAZINE. Ginger started out as a character in a pulp-era campaign I ran with my wife many years back, and one of her most distinctive features is a prosthetic tail given to her by the Cat-Men from Mars in an early adventure. "They must'a figured my fanny looked funny without it," she says.

Since the tail was something Ginger gained in play, I never really statted it out, other than to add "Unnatural Features: Tail" to her character sheet. But for this new write-up I want to define it a little better.

Since she occasionally can use her tail to do things, I figured I'd give her "Extra Arm: No Fine Manipulators" or something like that. But I'm having trouble with the tail's main attribute.

The Martian Cat-Men who gave her the tail originally intended it to make her docile and obedient. Due to some miscalibration with her non-martian nervous system it doesn't quite do that. When activated, the tail makes her highly amorous, (which she would find less annoying if it didn't happen at inconvenient times). The tail was originally activated by a control device, which was destroyed at the end of her Martian adventure; but she also learned that it would also activate if someone grabbed her tail.

So. The tail carries with it the disadvantage of Lecherousness (6), but only when it is grabbed. Except I'm not sure how to model this. As I'm reading the rules, all the Limitations I can find, like Trigger or Accessability apply only to Advantages, and I'm not sure if I can use them on a Disad. Temporary Disadvantage might work, but it doesn't exactly fit.

Any suggestions on how best to build this?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: Disad with Trigger? Ginger's Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper View Post
As I'm reading the rules, all the Limitations I can find, like Trigger or Accessability apply only to Advantages, and I'm not sure if I can use them on a Disad.
The first sentence of the "Modifers" section is "A modifier is a feature that you can add to a trait – usually an advantage – to change the way it works." "Usually" doesn't mean "only", and "traits" include Disads. B110 goes on to give more rules: "You can apply limitations to almost any trait (although as with enhancements, skills are normally off-limits). When you apply a limitation to a disadvantage..."

However, a lot of people find that the values are off when modifiers are applied to Disads. Common suggestions include reversing the proportion (subtracting it from 100%, if you want to think of it that way) or using the full Disad and then applying a "No Disad" advantage that takes the modifier.

Quote:
Any suggestions on how best to build this?
What do you think about:
  • Mitigator ("tail not grabbed")
  • Uncontrollable Trigger (Powers 106) might be better than Trigger, the "item" in this case being "grappled tail".
  • There's always good ol' Accessibility as the catch-call.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
quarkstomper

Default Re: Disad with Trigger? Ginger's Tail

I had looked at both Mitigator and Accessability, and neither one seemed to be what I wanted. I hadn't looked in POWERS, though and so had missed Uncontrollable Trigger. I just might go with that.