Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
rarasmoke

Default A few questions from a Noob.

Hey there folks,

I've played Munchkin before, but it was always with a group that had played for years and knew the rules in and out. Now I have my own copy of the game and I'm trying to play with friends who are brand new and I'm a little sketchy on certain details.

1) When you have more than 5 cards, what do you do? It says in the rules that you have to give them to the person who has the lowest level, but what if that person now has more than 5 cards? Does the person who's received the discarded cards wait till their turn to discard what they want to get down to five, or do they do it as soon as they get them? Also, where do their discarded cards go when THEY have too many if they're the lowest level? Do they go in the out card spot?

2) When you kick open the door and the card isn't a monster or a curse a different card, what do you do with it? Does the person get to keep it? Do they discard it because it isn't a monster or a curse? If they get to keep it, do they get to loot the room even though they already got a card?

3) Curses. Do they stay with you forever, even if you're dead?

4) When you look for trouble and pull out a monster of your own, can other players add enhancements to your weak monster and make it a bigger and more dangerous one?

Again, if any of these questions seem crystal clear to most folks, they're foggy to me so please be kind with your answers :)
rarasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
tremorlaine

Default Re: A few questions from a Noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarasmoke View Post
1) When you have more than 5 cards, what do you do? It says in the rules that you have to give them to the person who has the lowest level, but what if that person now has more than 5 cards? Does the person who's received the discarded cards wait till their turn to discard what they want to get down to five, or do they do it as soon as they get them? Also, where do their discarded cards go when THEY have too many if they're the lowest level? Do they go in the out card spot?
You only have to give Charity at the END of your turn. A person can start their turn with 20 cards if he was given that much Charity.

Quote:
2) When you kick open the door and the card isn't a monster or a curse a different card, what do you do with it? Does the person get to keep it? Do they discard it because it isn't a monster or a curse? If they get to keep it, do they get to loot the room even though they already got a card?
When you Kick Down A Door and it is anything but a Curse! or a Monster it goes directly to your hand.

A player is allowed to Loot The Room in any turn that a Monster was not faced (unless a card like Transferal Potion is played and it says on the card you still get to Loot The Room.)

Quote:
3) Curses. Do they stay with you forever, even if you're dead?
Any Curse with a continuous effect like Chicken on Your Head or Malign Mirror will persist through Death. The only way to get rid of it is to satisfy the condition on the card or use a Wishing Ring (or other such card that removes a Curse).

Quote:
4) When you look for trouble and pull out a monster of your own, can other players add enhancements to your weak monster and make it a bigger and more dangerous one?
Yes. Once Combat has been started regardless of how it was started other players may play One-Shot Items or Monster Enhancers to prevent you from winning the combat.

Future site of Griffon Gaming
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote