Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 04-26-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
benz72

Default list of error codes and troubleshooting

GCASystem:AddItemFromDataFile: Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument

I'm trying my hand at tailoring .gdfs for the first time and I get the above error. Google isn't pointing me anywhere to help troubleshoot. Is there an error code document somewhere that gives troubleshooting guidance?

Thank You
Old 04-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: list of error codes and troubleshooting

I'm afraid there really isn't. Error trapping in the old dev system sucked, so catching and reporting sucked too. Often, it's difficult to even determine where the error actually happened if you are deep into a call stack.

That's something I'm really trying to improve *a lot* for the future, with the much better trapping available in .Net.

For now, it's just painful. Try to work in small blocks as best you can. Keep your eye on the Logging window, as sometimes GCA does manage to see something and put a note there before the crash happens, and that might help. This is especially likely if it's mismatched parens, for example.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
GCASystem:AddItemFromDataFile: Error 5: Invalid procedure call or argument

I'm trying my hand at tailoring .gdfs for the first time and I get the above error. Google isn't pointing me anywhere to help troubleshoot. Is there an error code document somewhere that gives troubleshooting guidance?
In my experience the main reason for crash errors in data files is usually a math or @function() error in a trait you are adding to a character. If it's happening during initial character load it's probably in an attribute, since the math in attributes gets parsed when the character is created.

Syntax errors (mismatched parens or missing line continuation comma or underscore) are usually caught by the data file loading parser and filtered out.

If you're unsure of where an error is coming from then break the file into multiple files with one or a few traits in each file to rule out each in turn.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
In my experience the main reason for crash errors in data files is usually a math or @function() error in a trait you are adding to a character. If it's happening during initial character load it's probably in an attribute, since the math in attributes gets parsed when the character is created.

Syntax errors (mismatched parens or missing line continuation comma or underscore) are usually caught by the data file loading parser and filtered out.

If you're unsure of where an error is coming from then break the file into multiple files with one or a few traits in each file to rule out each in turn.
Thank You,
It's a data file for a shadowrun conversion and I crash the program just trying to load it with the other book gdfs, so I don't think it's a character issue. I'll try bits and pieces. Have a great day.