Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #23
kdtipa

Default Re: GURPS Modern Fantasy Setting - Alternate History Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
When do the Rifts open? It sounds like its a mid-twentieth century thing. But when? If the rifts open durring WWII the chaos could lead to Axis survival. I'd need a date to figure out how society changes.

Example: If an Elf Queen heals FDR, post war politics is radically different in America. We'd be going farther to the left.

How are the rifts distributed? Are some continents left out? Is there an epicenter to the crisis? More details please.
I imagine the rifts starting in the mid 1950s, just after the Korean War and during the beginning of the Vietnam War. The rifts become more common and do more damage through the 60s. In the 70s is when large migrations from the other world really begin by the civilized people. Trolls have been doing damage sooner as more migrated sooner. But as people have pointed out, I need to update trolls. I'm making them less "horrifying tank monster" and more "horrifying stealth monster" with slightly higher intelligence. I'm also thinking that the population reduction I'm envisioning comes more readily from the rifts doing random damage around the world over the course of the decades.

I think that by the 80s we have the efforts to combine societies.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, fantasy, gurps, setting