Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Johnny Angel

Default Pretty Orcs

While working on a character, the thought came to me that I'm not sure how to imagine that certain things look. In particular, I'm at something of a loss when it comes to imagining how a character who defies the racial norm would look. This particular character was an Orc with the 'attractive' advantage.... or so that's what I'm considering. Using the 'impressive' looks modifier seems like it would work, but I'm still left trying to imagine a handsome or a pretty orc. Most depictions of them are unattractive. So, I figured I'd ask the community: how would you imagine a pretty orc?

Likewise, what about an ugly elf? Surely there's the rare outcast with bad genetics or a harsh life which would be considered ugly even by human standards, but it's difficult for me to imagine what an ugly elf would look like for the same reason I have trouble imagining a good looking orc.

Are there things which you have trouble envisioning in your head?
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
jason taylor

Default Re: Pretty Orcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
While working on a character, the thought came to me that I'm not sure how to imagine that certain things look. In particular, I'm at something of a loss when it comes to imagining how a character who defies the racial norm would look. This particular character was an Orc with the 'attractive' advantage.... or so that's what I'm considering. Using the 'impressive' looks modifier seems like it would work, but I'm still left trying to imagine a handsome or a pretty orc. Most depictions of them are unattractive. So, I figured I'd ask the community: how would you imagine a pretty orc?

Likewise, what about an ugly elf? Surely there's the rare outcast with bad genetics or a harsh life which would be considered ugly even by human standards, but it's difficult for me to imagine what an ugly elf wYould look like for the same reason I have trouble imagining a good looking orc.

Are there things which you have trouble envisioning in your head?
Well I can imagine a battle scared elf but not a pretty orc.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Well, a pret'ey Ork would haff to 'ave a nice, shiny skin, and 'iz hue would haff to be deep and consistent. He'd haff to 'ave a 'uge jaw bristlin' wiff teef, an' none of 'em would be broke. 'E'd be made entirely outta muscle. 'E'd haff to dress is red armor, cuz, well, red makes ya go fasta! 'E'd prolly be carrin' some big dakka.

But, 'dere's no girly-type orks for 'em to impress. Da boyz all reproduce by spores. So, bein' a pret'ey ork is like bein' a smart snotlin': ya can do it, but why?
Mark Skarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Ronnke

I'm guessing something like the picture in the below link.

http://www.ooze.com.br/wp-content/up...n-meio-orc.jpg
Ronnke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #5
MattStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post
I'm guessing something like the picture in the below link.

http://www.ooze.com.br/wp-content/up...n-meio-orc.jpg
First thing I thought about when I saw the thread.

SR orcs are more 'human' than most, though.
MattStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Fidel

http://vampjac.com/lj/humor/gygax/Orcbard.jpg
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Well I can imagine a battle scared elf but not a pretty orc.
There's an Orc who thinks she's pretty. Miss Piggy! And if she invites you to comfirm her opinion of her looks, your health is better if you just agree.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
Blood Legend

You silly nutters and your concepts of untraditional beauty... ;D

Take an elf. Make him green or dark grey (depending on your orc). Give him subdued tusks and a full head of hair like Aragorn. Snout his nose only slightly to give him an obvious bit of inhumanity, and make him buffer than a human.

Done.

'Cause it seems to need the disclaimer, this will make a generally attractive sub-orc for a western audience or suitable human culture.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 08-23-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #9
Phoenix_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
Take an elf. Make him green or dark grey (depending on your orc). Give him subdued tusks and a full head of hair like Aragorn. Snout his nose only slightly to give him an obvious bit of inhumanity, and make him buffer than a human.
That orc might have both attractive and unattractive. Attractive to the dominant setting species (Typically humans), but unattractive to other orcs.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #10
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjc8 View Post
Not to mention differences in attractiveness between different elf and orc cultures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
You silly nutters and your concepts of untraditional beauty... ;D

Done.

'Cause it seems to need the commentary, this will make a generally attractive sub-orc for a western audience or suitable human culture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
That orc might have both attractive and unattractive. Attractive to the dominant setting species (Typically humans), but unattractive to other orcs.

I was thinking about this earlier today, and I think perhaps a pretty orc would look something like an elf. It is sometimes said that orcs are to humans what humans are to elves. If this is the case, that would mean -to some extent- there would be a relationship between beauty and how the races appear to each other. Elves tend to be viewed as beautiful by humans. If orcs are to humans what humans are to elves, that would mean that a beautiful orc might look very similar to a human, and an extremely attractive orc might have a few elven features.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appearance, ideas to share, random thought table