Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #11
ColBosch

Default Re: Sunday Drivers question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
The Ford Capri was offered & the withdrawn in the US for a very short time during the 1970's - apparently 'Capri' was also used as slang for a certain 'act' ... well according to my Technology Teacher anyway ...
Absolute nonsense. Slang names for sex acts come and go with few lasting repercussions. "Capri" has been the name for women's shortish pants for decades and is used on a number of "sporty," female-oriented products and services. The Capri car was sold in the United States by Mercury for eight years - hardly a "short time" - and the name was then used for a Mustang variant. (Similarly, the Chevy Nova sold quite well in Latin America, because people know the difference between an improper verb conjugation and a star exploding.)

The Volkswagen Golf was renamed the Rabbit in the US just because it sounded like a better name in the market (it was called the "Caribe" in Mexico). The sport of golf was stereotypically a rich man's pursuit in this country, and VW wanted the car to appeal to entry-level buyers and women. The Golf Mk 2 and on returned to the original name as the sport diversified.

Beware the information found in internet listicles. They are very often filled with inaccuracies, as they are considered easy clickbait work.

Last edited by ColBosch; 06-18-2018 at 04:56 PM.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #12
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
(Similarly, the Chevy Nova sold quite well in Latin America, because people know the difference between an improper verb conjugation and a star exploding.)
Indeed -- and given which CW club I was with for a while, I heard that one *a lot*.... [eyeroll]

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #13
Racer

Sorry for mistakingly posting that . I asked my old teacher via Facebook & it was actually another car, who's name in Spanish was slang for 'small male member' or similar . When your 14 , your intelligent , funny , knowledgeable and competent Teacher's word is taken as law .... #oops ...
Old 06-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #14
swordtart

Ahh, the infamous Fnord Knoblito :)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #15
Blue Ghost

I think we're jumping the shark here, water skis, leather jacket and all. Why did the Cunningham's move out to CA anyway? And whatever happened to Richie's older brother? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anyway, I guess Crash City sounded more cool to potential young autoduellests, than Sunday Drivers. Oh well.

I never did play both sets of maps, though I kept hearing about the bike gang squaring off with the towns folk and the XM Dempsey. I wish I could have played that >:(
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #16
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ghost View Post
So, I tried going through the archive with a search to find an answer, but haven't come across one.
Here is your previous thread on this subject:

Question about Crash City.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
Blue Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Here is your previous thread on this subject:

Question about Crash City.
Yeah, and I guess I wasn't satisfied with that answer or had forgotten it. But thanks.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #18
ColBosch

Quote:
Yeah, and I guess I wasn't satisfied with that answer or had forgotten it. But thanks.
If it really did involve a legal threat, then you are unlikely to get an answer from SJ Games. While it would probably be okay to talk about it, lo these many years later, when it comes to legal matters it's often best for companies to adopt a zero-discussion policy.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #19
Tom H.

Quote:
My question is this; why was the expansion title changed from Sunday Drivers to Crash City? I've always been curious about this, and it did seem to cause some consternation among the local fellow autoduellests.
I had assumed it was due to the "moral panic" of the early 1980s.

At the time some religious affiliations were associating entertainment such as Dungeons and Dragons and rock music with evil influences.

I thought the name change may have been due to the juxtaposition of the "Lord's Day" (Sunday) with the violent cover image of the fighting MONDOs. I thought SJ Games was trying to distance themselves from any of the aforementioned negative publicity.

That was my knee-jerk assumption at the time.

All that said, my friends and I played from both versions of the game if I remember correctly. Having a full city play map was very inspirational not to mention the additional rules for destroying buildings.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 PM   #20
Tom H.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add this.

If I remember correctly, living in Texas in those days we had the "Blue Laws." This kept most businesses closed on Sundays likely stemming from religious reasons.

So to those concerned, it was probably more difficult to associate shooting up Midville with Sunday if you weren't even supposed to be shopping.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote