Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
Humabout

Default Re: Pyramid #3/60: Dungeon Fantasy III

I'll start with, "I LOVE IMBUEMENTS!" and continue that I found Kromm's intro to the beastmaster a really fun and interesting read. More people need to read that discourse on the concepts behind Dungeon Fantasy. Then I'll say that I really need to give the issue a proper reading, so I can better comment.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Mystic Power Ups I liked mostly.
Stabilized shot doesnt seem to fit the description, instead it sounds more suitable for Far Shot or Guided Weapon.
The rest of the article I liked, especially Resonant gear which gives us a new class of magic items. Weapons of Magic are nice, especially since they include how they were built.
The new Techniques are nice, though it took me a bit to figure out there probably buying off a penalty so you dont have an additional roll, instead I think they use the starting skill.
On stabilized shot, I did my best, but it wasn't easy finding suitable special effects.
On the new techniques, they modify certain Imbuement Skills, and you need no extra rolls. Same as the ones in Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups, so I don't really see what confuses you. Can you elaborate please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Love having more options for Mystic Knights, one of my favorite classes in DF.
Any favorites? Any you specially dislike?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'll start with, "I LOVE IMBUEMENTS!" and continue that I found Kromm's intro to the beastmaster a really fun and interesting read. More people need to read that discourse on the concepts behind Dungeon Fantasy. Then I'll say that I really need to give the issue a proper reading, so I can better comment.
Glad Imbuements are popular!

I wish PK had managed to squeeze Mighty Blow in. I assume the issue was overfilled, though, and not having written it, I could not in good conscience include it in my article. I missed Murphy's Rules in this issue, but I understand that it was probably first in the chopping block...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Its a Trap! was a lot more interesting then I would have thought.
A good list and set of tables to work with but even better was the explanations and lists of examples.
I'm really curious about this one. But I already have my own random trap tables that I made up for my own game, so I'm not sure I need it. How much detail does it go in to, and what do the tables generate?
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
I'm really curious about this one. But I already have my own random trap tables that I made up for my own game, so I'm not sure I need it. How much detail does it go in to, and what do the tables generate?
Enough that glossing over it really didn't give enough info to judge or fully grok it. That's first on my list for the proper read-through. DF needs traps!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
On stabilized shot, I did my best, but it wasn't easy finding suitable special effects.
On the new techniques, they modify certain Imbuement Skills, and you need no extra rolls. Same as the ones in Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups, so I don't really see what confuses you. Can you elaborate please?
Just glanced at DF 11 and I see what you mean.
I did figure it out, just took a bit as I am not used to the format as I dont actually play or run DF.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Any favorites? Any you specially dislike?

Glad Imbuements are popular!
The Imbued Souls, Eldritch Tether, and the new imbuement skills, in roughly that order. Also, it may sound silly given its not exactly "new", but including Weapon Master and making power items explicitly allowed is nice, from a "see, it is there in the template" point of view. I doubt anyone actually disallowed either, but it is a nice validation.

Unrelated: A hidden gem in the traps! Combustion potions! Hot (heh) damn, gotta get some of those!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Its a Trap! was a lot more interesting then I would have thought.
A good list and set of tables to work with but even better was the explanations and lists of examples.
I tried to make it as useful as possible to other games, but still very much for Dungeon Fantasy. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Oh yeah; I read through both of those and thought they were awesome, though High-Tech Dungeon Crawl wasn't exactly useful so much as it was interesting and fun.
Thank you. :-)

Quote:
A lot. I wrote a ton more, but had to cut it. Your own version might work better for you games - but I think mine isn't too shabby either. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Unrelated: A hidden gem in the traps! Combustion potions! Hot (heh) damn, gotta get some of those!
I put niggly-bits into everything I do. I put some doozy's in previous articles that haven't even been found, or if they have, no one has said anything. ;-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #18
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Enough that glossing over it really didn't give enough info to judge or fully grok it. That's first on my list for the proper read-through. DF needs traps!
Yes, and my DF game already has traps, and I have a system for randomly or not-randomly generating traps. I'm trying to find out enough information to know if this will be useful to me - right now, it just sounds like someone else's take on what I've got down as a fully solved need. :)
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Yes, and my DF game already has traps, and I have a system for randomly or not-randomly generating traps. I'm trying to find out enough information to know if this will be useful to me - right now, it just sounds like someone else's take on what I've got down as a fully solved need. :)
Hey, Peter, check your mail. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Langy

Well, it's got 5 trap types (Alchemical, Poison, Mechanical, Magic, and Tricks), each with their own Detection and Disarm skills, 6 different trigger mechanisms, 7 trap qualities, 4 types of 'numbers of shots', 4 rearmament options, and a 'stealable' option.

There are 12 specific types of alchemical traps, 6 poison traps, 5 mechanical traps (with a lot of subtypes), 12 types of magical traps (with some subtypes) and 3 kinds of 'tricks'.

It's pretty extensive and awesome. It just needs something to help automate it!

What kind of stuff was left out? It seems like a pretty full article already!
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid 3/60, pyramid issues