Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
SCAR

Default Re: Pixie Haven [DF]

The Invisibility spell is also a possibility.

Pixies have Magery 0
Scholars can use their Wild Talent to use spells without prerequisites (they have the Magery Advantage anyway)
Scholars can learn spells using their Book Learned Wisdom (although they need the prerequisites), but thats only 5x Light and Dark Spells + Invisibility.

So a Pixie Scholar is perfectly capable of knowing and using the Invisibility spell, allowing them to buy and know it as a permanent ability seems reasonable enough - and DF1.p20 modifies the Invisibility spell to not allow the subject to attack, etc without ending the spell.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Jerander

Maybe Invisibility and/or Obscure with appropriate limitations ("Only out of combat.")?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #13
PseudoFenton

I wouldn't worry too much about getting directly attacked in combat as a pixie. If you fly upwards even a little bit you'll be out of reach of most attacks, and even when you can't your small size makes it difficult (although admittedly not impossible) to be hit, often granting you enough time to fly somewhere else that isn't in reach of your foes.

Your real problem as a pixie is Area of Effects and Explosions! You have a handful of HP, no noteworthy armour to speak of (thanks to scaling rules), and even if you do get a nice magical breastplate you'll still be suffering thanks to the Large Area damage rules.
It's also quite likely that you'll still be 'hit' with an AoE thanks to being within its radius simply due to enemies targeting your bigger allies with you just happening to be near by. Or, if they have spotted you and want to take you out, by simply targeting a near by wall/the floor of the hex you're in to ensure you're in the blast zone without needing to actually hit such a small target.

We currently have a pixie in our group, and other than one lucky melee hit, the only damage she's ever taken is via AoE's - and pretty much every single time she's rolling death checks or to stay concious afterwards. The solutions are pretty much the same though, hide inside someone else's armour/bag (for cover) or fly up high if there's enough ceiling clearance to keep out of the way up there... otherwise just try to keep your distance from the group and hide whenever danger shows up, its easy to overlook a pixie when they're only a few inches high.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Pixie Scholars would seem to have the same problem that other scholars have but worse. Books in DF are heavy!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Varyon

I suspect any cost for this trait will be offset a great deal by the Disadvantage Odious Personal Habit ("Hey! Listen!").

More seriously, a Pixie Haven is probably a highly-limited form of Jumper (the characters function more like summonable Allies), so [20] probably works. As for the problem with carrying books, they could probably store such in their Haven - model this as a limited form of Payload. For point-efficiency, you'll probably want to buy up Lifting Strength with a "Only For Calculating Payload" Limitation, although I'm not certain what would be a fair price here...
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Pixie Scholars would seem to have the same problem that other scholars have but worse. Books in DF are heavy!
I don't have DF; would buying Photographic Memory help with that problem?

EDIT: It seems very pixie like to just, kind of, know all the stuff that other people would lookup. "Oh, monster x? Yeah they, like, um...are vulnerable to y! ^.^"

Last edited by MatthewVilter; 09-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #17
Terwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
I don't have DF; would buying Photographic Memory help with that problem?

EDIT: It seems very pixie like to just, kind of, know all the stuff that other people would lookup. "Oh, monster x? Yeah they, like, um...are vulnerable to y! ^.^"
I could see Racial memory working well for that as well...
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Getting out of the main restriction on Book Learned Wisdom seems like a bad idea. You are basically turning it into much more expensive version of Modular Ability.

Edit: Avast ye lubbers! 'Tis Folly says I and Fie upon it!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

I also thought of a Perk Schtick (Can always find a safe place during combat), but it seems a bit OP.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
MatthewVilter

Like i said, I don't know how Book Learned Wisdom works but I'm guessing the balance comes down to how Photographic Memory or Racial Memory compares to Payload in point cost.
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pixies