Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 12-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #81
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Question on 'Ramming'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
I think what sir_pudding is asking is how did you come to the determination that the in-game reason is "the artillery shells are very large and heavy (hard to move them around quickly) and fragile: easy to kill, and hitting one round sets them all off. Armor is no help; even jostling them hard sets them off."

What source material are you referencing to come up with that as a reason?
Yes, because that doesn't describe any munitions for over a century, and definitely doesn't make sense for nuclear munitions, which are notoriously hard to get to detonate (otherwise nuclear weapons would be easy to make).

Which isn't to say there isn't a handwave reason for it, but this isn't it.

I think mainly you don't put howitzers on Ogres because it's a waste of an Ogre to keep it out of the fight.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-09-2017 at 04:55 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #82
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I know what a handwave is. Where does this one come from?
Handwaves don't come from anywhere. You make them up on the spot. The metric for a handwave isn't whether it is sourced (I can wave my hands just as well as anyone else can) or whether they are true (Ogres don't actually exist except in our imaginations, and "True" is whatever Steve Jackson says it is) but rather whether they are plausible.
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #83
GuyMacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I know what a handwave is. Where does this one come from?
Handwaves don't come from anywhere. You make them up on the spot.

Why is dave Dave Crowell allowed to make a handwaving guess that even an Ogre doesn't provide a stable enough firing platform and offsides is allowed to make a handwaving guess that that the long barrel made them to vulnerable to enemy fire but I am not allowed to make a handwaving guess that The artillery shells are too large, heavy, and fragile? Did I do something to urinate off everyone off and not notice?
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #84
Dave Crowell

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that someone took offense to your using the phrase "real reason" or thought that meant you had a source from published Ogre commentary.

Personally, I think your handwave is as good as anyone else's

Ogre has plenty of silliness in it, like Infantry carrying weaponry heavy enough to damage Ogres effectively, and emplaced howitzers and Command Posts not being better armored.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #85
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

No offense, I just wanted to know where this was coming from. "I made it up" is an acceptable answer.

Just saying it is a handwave isn't the same as "I made it up", I didn't make up the Augment Virus in Enterprise, but it is still a handwave.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #86
J. Durr

As pointed out, Ogre can't bear too much realworld analysis. Nor should it. Chess is a good game but not because the kings, knights and bishops behave like real kings, knights and bishops; mutatis mutandis, the same is true of Ogre.

A more interesting question is: do the unit design formulae tolerate howitzers on Ogres? I seem to recall there were calculators online.

Last edited by J. Durr; 12-10-2017 at 04:16 PM.
J. Durr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #87
Dave Crowell

An Ogre mounting howitzers that are better than D1 would be truly frightening.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #88
Dave Crowell

Is anybody else encountering an apparent glitch where the game will not let you stay in a hex and reduce infantry again even though you still have MP remaining?

Just happened to me a couple of times playing Mk III attack. I'm pretty sure I still had MP, I was able to move off the infantry onto different infantry or into an empty hex.

I did go on to a total Ogre victory. Nail the GEVs first. That was at least the second game in a row with teh same defense set up, does the computer vary it?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #89
Mack_JB

I've just had another game where the Ogre Mk. V rams a SHVY, rolls a three, and then the very next turn, the SHVY scoots away unharmed. My reading of the rule is that a SHVY suffers a 1:1 attack when rammed, so a three result should be D.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #90
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I've just had another game where the Ogre Mk. V rams a SHVY, rolls a three, and then the very next turn, the SHVY scoots away unharmed. My reading of the rule is that a SHVY suffers a 1:1 attack when rammed, so a three result should be D.
That is correct; it should be disabled.