Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
Balor Patch

Default Flying Triple Weapon Attack

There is a DF Swashbuckler with two katanas and the Kiai skill who knows Three-Weapon Fighting (broadsword/broadsword/kiai) [6]; Chandelier Leap [10]; Jumping 18 [8]; and Flying Leap 17 [12] from Shear Speed (FL) [1]. That's an Extra Attack [25] and Broadsword +3 [12] he didn't buy so this should be good.

His in-combat standing jump is 18/8 = 2.25, increasing to 4.5 with Chandelier Leap and 13.5 with Flying Leap, but he'd better take a turn or five to Concentrate first. Out of combat and running it's up to 54 yards. Leading with the Kiai means the target may be stunned and take two triple ST (to 39 = 7d+14) attacks, all three attacks being at -2 for the FL. The CL, FL, and Kiai all cost 1 FP for 3 FP.

1) Do I have all that right?

More specifically:

2) If the target is surprised (54 yards!) then the Kiai is unnecessary. Can he have his dual weapon attack without really using one of the weapons?

3) If the character is entering an ongoing fight but hasn't been engaged, or maybe even spotted, is he "in combat" for jumping?

4) Can you combine Concentrate for FL with the running jump bonus?

5) Would Very Fit help when burning 3 FP all at once, even though it wouldn't for one at a time?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Flying Triple Weapon Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
2) If the target is surprised (54 yards!) then the Kiai is unnecessary. Can he have his dual weapon attack without really using one of the weapons?
A Triple Weapon Attack should probably be built as a Combination, which does require all 3. Of course, already having the Dual Weapon Attack Technique should decrease the cost of the Combination, so if you go that route you'll have the DWA as its own separate deal, allowing you to use it at full skill without the Kiai.
As for the surprise, do note that, unless I'm mistaken, you are still restricted to Move yards/sec in a jump - meaning that even if he has a Move of 10, that jump's still taking over 5 seconds. That's a lot of time for his opponent to notice and react...

Quote:
3) If the character is entering an ongoing fight but hasn't been engaged, or maybe even spotted, is he "in combat" for jumping?
"In Combat" represents the fact that you don't have time to properly prepare for the jump. If he isn't in combat (and has time to prepare) when he makes the jump, use the non-combat distances.

Quote:
5) Would Very Fit help when burning 3 FP all at once, even though it wouldn't for one at a time?
Very Fit works for lost FP, not spent FP, so no.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
gilbertocarlos

You use half Jumping skill for move, so, long distance jump is 15 feet, not yards, running he goes up to 30 feet, with flying jump it's 90 feet, 30y, not 54y.

For high jump, it's 44", little better than a meter or yard. Running you go to 88", 2.44y, or 2.23m. Flying jump will put him 7y from the ground.

Last edited by gilbertocarlos; 11-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Balor Patch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
A Triple Weapon Attack should probably be built as a Combination, which does require all 3. Of course, already having the Dual Weapon Attack Technique should decrease the cost of the Combination, so if you go that route you'll have the DWA as its own separate deal, allowing you to use it at full skill without the Kiai.

As for the surprise, do note that, unless I'm mistaken, you are still restricted to Move yards/sec in a jump - meaning that even if he has a Move of 10, that jump's still taking over 5 seconds. That's a lot of time for his opponent to notice and react...

Very Fit works for lost FP, not spent FP, so no.

So a combination DWA + Kiai would add another [4]? Seems reasonable.

I did forget about the jump speed limit. It's the greater of max jump distance/5 or Move, so 10.8.

On Very Fit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
You always round FP costs (and most other things that are bad for the characters) up in GURPS. Half of 1 is still 1. You need at least 2 FP for a single action before Very Fit does a thing. The main job of Very Fit is to halve multi-point FP costs for things like exertion in armor.
I take that as saying it does apply to spent FP so that e.g. the 10 FP for Great Rage would become 5 FP. On the other hand, it does agree that FP spent in one Maneuver can't be aggragated before being divided. So you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
You use half Jumping skill for move, so, long distance jump is 15 feet, not yards, running he goes up to 30 feet, with flying jump it's 90 feet, 30y, not 54y.

For high jump, it's 44", little better than a meter or yard. Running you go to 88", 2.44y, or 2.23m. Flying jump will put him 7y from the ground.

I based it on this:
DF11:34 Chandelier Leap
"You may do the math on p. B352 or simply approximate: the better of Basic Move/4 or Jumping/8 yards, doubled out of combat or with a running start, or quadrupled for both."

As an approximation it does seem pretty loose.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Varyon

Quote:
So a combination DWA + Kiai would add another [4]? Seems reasonable.
A dual weapon 3-attack Combination costs [12] IIRC (full cost is equal to negated penalty - in this case -9 - plus number of attacks). You've paid for DWA with [5], so you've still got [7] to go, if allowing for this alternative interpretation (by RAW, you don't benefit from DWA in Combinations).

On the topic of alternative interpretation, if your character has WM/TbaM, DWA should probably drop to -3 (certainly it shouldn't be worse than a Rapid Strike) or maybe even -2, making it cost [4] or [3], while the Combination should be -6/-6/-6 or maybe even -5/-5/-5, meaning you've got [5] to go.

Quote:
On Very Fit:

I take that as saying it does apply to spent FP so that e.g. the 10 FP for Great Rage would become 5 FP. On the other hand, it does agree that FP spent in one Maneuver can't be aggragated before being divided. So you're right.
Sounds like maybe you can halve your FP spent on Extra Effort, but I'd still say no to chi (which CL, FL, and Kiai fall under). RAW explicitly forbids Fit/Very Fit benefiting energy burned for psi and magic, so it's up to the GM if chi falls under that same blanket. I can certainly see justification for allowing it to do so, I just probably wouldn't.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy