Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Maldark

Default How to create a perminate gate?

How would you create a perminate gate in one day game time? It requires 1000 points of power and I can find no easy way to.

I ask this mainly to see if I understand the rules correctly.
Maldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
DrTemp

Default Re: How to create a permanent gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldark
How would you create a perminate gate in one day game time? [...]
You find ten mages who know both the spell and the Enchant spell (one of them at skill level 25), give each of them a 90-point-powerstone, tell them what to do, pay them accordingly and wait for ten hours. Done.

Of course, all of this is rather hard to aquire, but that's life. :)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats

Last edited by DrTemp; 06-21-2006 at 02:13 PM.
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
Christian

Default Re: How to create a perminate gate?

Or you ask a demon (nicely) sacrifice a few douzen virgins, and voila. Though the gate might have some .... "pecularities".
Old 06-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Or you can fast and meditate for 1000 days (Meditative magic, GURPS Fantasy) on the reasons of existance. Also, if the GM allows, you can spend CP to reduce the time it takes for you to accumulate those 100 points of energy (at the same rate as Signature Gear)
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima
Or you can fast and meditate for 1000 days (Meditative magic, GURPS Fantasy) on the reasons of existance. Also, if the GM allows, you can spend CP to reduce the time it takes for you to accumulate those 100 points of energy (at the same rate as Signature Gear)
Wouldn't normal slow and sure enchantment work as well? It will take 3 years but in comparison to say the roman network of roads, this is not much of an investment.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
quarkstomper

I'm presuming Maldark has reasons why It Abolutely Positively Has To Get There Overnight.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
William

Quote:
How would you create a perminate gate in one day game time? It requires 1000 points of power and I can find no easy way to.

I ask this mainly to see if I understand the rules correctly.
Dr Temp's way, called Quick & Dirty enchanting, would be the most common way, and also requires the fewest GM calls. However, I should point out that if you are attempting, as I suspect, to create a gate from one world to another, the cost is 2000 energy: 100 times the cost of 20 energy for a normal Plane Shift spell. So those mages would need 190-point Powerstones, which are, of course, incredibly expensive.

Alternatively, 2000 skilled mages could work together for a single day to create such a gate; the lead mage is at no penalty to skill for this kind of enchantment. Your challenge here is finding 2000 mages who can enchant and know Create Gate -- most worlds won't have that at all!

Thirdly, you may locate a special parachronozoid: a being with the Jumper (World) advantage, that has the Tunnel enhancement and the Permanent enhancement on the Tunnel enhancement, for a net cost of 200 character points before any limitations are added. One recommendable limitation for such a powerful ability might be Preparation Required (8 hours), indicating a parachronozoid that can meditate for a day and thereupon produce such a gate. This would bring the net cost of the ability back down to 140 points.

A GM would have to decree the existence of such a being, of course. The most likely candidate in many fantasy settings would a demon made to spec by the powers of the underworld; the price, naturally, hideously expensive.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Maldark

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
I'm presuming Maldark has reasons why It Abolutely Positively Has To Get There Overnight.
The purpose is for a compaign I was thinking of running. It would involve world jumping and since I am an old TFT player (yes that shows my age), I kept wondering how to do high power magics.

So I thought I would use my obsession (gate magic) to see if I was understanding the rules.

So here are the answers I came up with (and why I asked this question):

Slow and sure enchantment: 2.74 years. No PC group is going to guard a wizard for that long so he can create a gate. [The PCs home (target of gate spell) has a beacon enchanted item at it. So cost is 1000 points.]

Fast and dirty enchantment: No way to store that much energy at a practicle cost that I could find.

I have looked at Uman, but to have a mage who could build world gates, the character would take years to recover. Not acceptable.

I saw the spell in Pyramid call "draw power" from the energy side of the Tech magics. I looked in GURPS 4th Ed. Magic and was wondering if it would work, but I don't think so. Even with 28 points of energy per second, I can find no way to store the energy that is practical until the spell is cast.

The parachronozoid idea [purposed by William] was one I had thought of. But I thought a "Prince of Amber" would be to expensive. He would need to have the ability "switchable" as well. I think that pushes this out of starting PC's range even with no other powers.

I am also concerned with screwing up the balance, so I don't want to even think about mucking with point/money cost of items and spells.

So I am stuck with the idea of a pre-existing gate network (Something I was trying to do back in the late 80s with TFT and long before I saw Stagate SG-1.

So, does anyone have any other ideas I should consider?
Maldark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
So, does anyone have any other ideas I should consider?
Just one: Declare it a Plot Point that this wizard here can make gates. Limit it however you want, and don't charge him points for it. Call it an Ability that costs [FNORD] points. Thus, the character's total CP would be something like [200 + Fnord]. Essentially, it's a Plot Device ability completely out of the player's control and can only be activated by GM fiat (i.e., under a full moon at the top of Skull Mountain while being threatened by a dwarf; or "It's uncontrollable by players, it'll pop up whenever it wants to").

This way you can have your world-hopping story without worrying about the character points or Energy Cost or whatever... It keeps the plot moving forward, but doesn't get out of hand. See the comic series "Exiles" for inspiration of this kind of "mission-based" world-hopping.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Elves man, elves can do it. You just need a few hundred elves.
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote