Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2022, 02:26 AM   #11
Black Leviathan

Default Re: what are advantages which inherently seem to increase rate of char point accrual

I think the advantage with the most dramatic on CP accrual would depend entirely on what criteria the GM has for giving out CP and how they handle rewarding in game gains?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:08 AM   #12
RGTraynor

Default Re: what are advantages which inherently seem to increase rate of char point accrual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I just meant stuff which effectively increases the 'value' of a character, like something you might need to spend CP to buy if the GM didn't gift it.

Like even if you didn't buy an expensive magic sword, if a GM has you find some 10-million-dollar sword in a dungeon that does 100d and you're carrying it around, you're going to be a more effective/powerful character (essentially you've got an ally/minion or signature gear) at least unless it comes paired with some counter-acting disadvantage like "Enemy - bad dudes know you have the sword and want to take it from you" that makes gaining the 100d sword a 0pt feature.
Maybe so, but that's not a feature of the game system. It's the whim of the GM. That has nothing to do with any advantage, skill, disadvantage, quirk, power, whatever. Nor is it "essentially" an Ally, Minion, Signature Gear or anything else of the sort. Those Advantages confer a degree of plot immunity, as long as you don't give away your SG or backstab your Ally. If the Ally dies, if your SG is destroyed, those points are recoverable.

Not so with your ubersword. That's not a feature. That's a piece of equipment, no more plot immune than your backpack. Sure, your character is more effective with it, but then again your character is more effective with ANY equipment he can use ...

... leading up to this: so what? I'm missing where this line of reasoning is getting anywhere useful. Are you looking for a grand table where every conceivable item of equipment has an assigned CP value? (Possible, I suppose, if a backbreaking effort, seeing as they'd have to have different ratings dependent on TL, CR and the setting.) If so, to what end?

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:04 AM   #13
Aldric

Less or No sleep and Talent if your GM uses the training rules.

Ally: Since it gains a percentage of your character CPs, the overall value of your character increase faster.

Duplication: Every dupe has your CP total, there is a certain ninja that successfully used dupes to speed up training.

For the same reason as Duplication, CM and ATR also make any CP gained by your character more valuable.

Disadvantages could also help if your GM is in the habit of giving bonus CP for good roleplay.
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 06:37 PM   #14
Pursuivant

Combat Reflexes is grossly underpriced for the benefits it provides and makes combat-focused characters more effective. Indirectly, that translates into CP.

Magery + the right selection of spells can also indirectly boost CP, especially if the GM is lenient about allowing spellcasting to create wealth (not just gold or money, but raw materials or cheap labor).
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:36 AM   #15
Plane

I mean if you have a jog lugging stone and hire your illusions or demons to lug the stone that seems like a good way to earn money, yeah.

There's bound to be complications with that of course like earning yourself enemies.

Kinda like how the Create Zombie spell in theory gives you unlimited permanent minions if you just find old corpses to use as components, but really in exchange for those pseudo-Ally minions you're probably getting some aspects of Dependent and maybe even Enemy if their relatives don't like you messing about.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bonu cp, character points, independent income, magery