Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 02-08-2023, 10:53 AM   #401
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The obvious place is somewhere in the vegetation outside of town: the question is how far out of town?
Well, that's what I was considering...
Quote:
or is it best hidden inside of his little cubbyhole?
Hm... That could work. If I finish the hole out, or perhaps just enough, I could put in furniture and hide the money in a hole and furniture over the hole...

Is it possible to hire anyone to help dig out the hole? It's like a two day job for me, maybe I could hire two or three other people to finish out a nice set of rooms in a day, then get furniture put in...

I suppose putting anything like flooring or walls over the vegetation is straight out.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:09 AM   #402
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, that's what I was considering...

Hm... That could work. If I finish the hole out, or perhaps just enough, I could put in furniture and hide the money in a hole and furniture over the hole...

Is it possible to hire anyone to help dig out the hole? It's like a two day job for me, maybe I could hire two or three other people to finish out a nice set of rooms in a day, then get furniture put in...

I suppose putting anything like flooring or walls over the vegetation is straight out.

Julian can certainly ask around if people will dig in exchange for pay. They're out there, its just a matter of finding them and picking the right ones.

Flooring and Walls are possible: you've seen them in the "nice" part of town.

You can get furniture: May I direct you to DF 8: Treasure Tables, as well as Low Tech? They both have items the other doesn't. As a reminder, 1L = $4

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:28 AM   #403
TGLS

Quote:
Julian can certainly ask around if people will dig in exchange for pay. They're out there, its just a matter of finding them and picking the right ones.
Well, let's go back and work until end of shift. Then I'll try asking some of the miners if they'd be willing to take on extra work for the right price. Maybe if I smooth things over with the Kapatas by working for nothing for the remainder of the shift, he'd be willing to tell me which miners are reliable and might want extra work...

Quote:
Flooring and Walls are possible: you've seen them in the "nice" part of town.
Well part of it was, "Isn't the 'nice' part of town inside the market area, which is built into and on the side of the cliff?" and another part was, "Surely it would cost too much." Given that it's possible, what would the construction cost be like?

Quote:
You can get furniture: May I direct you to DF 8: Treasure Tables, as well as Low Tech? They both have items the other doesn't. As a reminder, 1L = $4
I check into those. Let's sort out digging out the hole before furnishing it.

EDIT

OK, new plan:

I'll buy a six gallon pot for 4L (G$16 according to LT34, DF8 disagrees). Assuming that 1L is 2 cups of rice, I currently have 9 cups of rice, which means that I need about another 40L of rice to fill the pot. So that leaves me with 160L left over afterward. Cheap bedding should cost around something like 30L (Sheets G$35, Pillow G$5, Blanket G$20, Mattress G$60, LT33), and an additional coin pouch should cost next to nothing (A 1 quart leather pouch would cost G$2 or 8s and that's the most expensive one that would seem to fit).

I'll dig out the cubbyhole myself. I'll bring down a bunch of rice, and hide a pouch with the 120L at the bottom of the pot. That should keep the rest of the money well hidden in case I need it.

Last edited by TGLS; 02-09-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:45 AM   #404
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well, let's go back and work until end of shift. Then I'll try asking some of the miners if they'd be willing to take on extra work for the right price. Maybe if I smooth things over with the Kapatas by working for nothing for the remainder of the shift, he'd be willing to tell me which miners are reliable and might want extra work...
Kapatas: "You're back! finally! And without cuts or bruises! I'll pay you for the time you work. Get up the hole!"

Julian ends up a different hole than normal, right at the end, passing the basket down to a wheel barrow... which is manned by a fellow not of a familiar species: Large, with hair all over his body, with pointed ears like a Cat or Wolf, and an elongated snout with large fangs.

Will Julian be asking him?

Quote:
Well part of it was, "Isn't the 'nice' part of town inside the market area, which is built into and on the side of the cliff?" and another part was, "Surely it would cost too much." Given that it's possible, what would the construction cost be like?
2L per square foot: that's 18L for a square meter.

Quote:
OK, new plan:

I'll buy a six gallon pot for 4L (G$16 according to LT34, DF8 disagrees). Assuming that 1L is 2 cups of rice, I currently have 9 cups of rice, which means that I need about another 40L of rice to fill the pot. So that leaves me with 160L left over afterward. Cheap bedding should cost around something like 30L (Sheets G$35, Pillow G$5, Blanket G$20, Mattress G$60, LT33), and an additional coin pouch should cost next to nothing (A 1 quart leather pouch would cost G$2 or 8s and that's the most expensive one that would seem to fit).

I'll dig out the cubbyhole myself. I'll bring down a bunch of rice, and hide a pouch with the 120L at the bottom of the pot. That should keep the rest of the money well hidden in case I need it.
This is in addition to the pot you already own, yes? Oh, this is to keep stuff in. A basket is cheaper, but I can see why you sent with a pot. And the pot probably keeps food better. And coins.

So you have 204L, spend 4L+40L+30L+4s = 74L 4s, hide 120L in the bottom of your rice pot, and have 9L 12s to carry around.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 02-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #405
TGLS

Quote:
Kapatas: "You're back! finally! And without cuts or bruises! I'll pay you for the time you work. Get up the hole!"

Julian ends up a different hole than normal, right at the end, passing the basket down to a wheel barrow... which is manned by a fellow not of a familiar species: Large, with hair all over his body, with pointed ears like a Cat or Wolf, and an elongated snout with large fangs.

Will Julian be asking him?
With the whole 'hide in the rice' plan, there's no need to finish out the living quarters quickly to place the mattress in a place where Julian can hide the money. So no, Julian will be clearing his cubby hole himself.

I mumble, "Werewolf...". How many different types of people could live on Riask? Seems like more every time I turn around. Then I get back to work.

Quote:
2L per square foot: that's 18L for a square meter.
So seven square meters... Julian will have to temporarily abandon his plans to gentrify the vegetation hole.

Quote:
This is in addition to the pot you already own, yes? Oh, this is to keep stuff in. A basket is cheaper, but I can see why you sent with a pot. And the pot probably keeps food better. And coins.

So you have 204L, spend 4L+40L+30L+4s = 74L 4s, hide 120L in the bottom of your rice pot, and have 9L 12s to carry around.
Nice to have some walking around money. I guess I should get my story straight: "The Shuzu paid me 80L for helping him catch Tarbreth. Tarbreth was the leader of the soldiers who kidnapped me."

Hm. Needs some massaging: "Oh hi Jools! Why'd the soldiers want you?" "Oh, they wanted me to identify Tarbreth." "Oh, who's that?" "He's the leader of the soldiers who kidnapped me."

"Jools, how'd you afford all that bedding?" "The Shuzu paid me after Tarbreth was identified." "Oh, who's that?" "He's the leader of the soldiers who kidnapped me."

Yeah, don't mention it unless they ask. Don't mention the figure either. Keep the story focused on what happened, not the detail of what was paid...
Old 02-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #406
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I mumble, "Werewolf...". How many different types of people could live on Riask? Seems like more every time I turn around. Then I get back to work.
Honestly? Riask is a multidimensional trading empire centered in an area rich in "Fantasy Races". I roll on a table of races for Riask every so often, and one entry says "New, Add to Table".

Quote:
Yeah, don't mention it unless they ask. Don't mention the figure either. Keep the story focused on what happened, not the detail of what was paid...
"Some money". Got it.

Julian "checks in" his stone, works the rest of the day, and goes back to his cubby hole. Home, as it were. The next few days are not terribly eventful, and he doesn't dream.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:27 AM   #407
TGLS

Quote:
Honestly? Riask is a multidimensional trading empire centered in an area rich in "Fantasy Races". I roll on a table of races for Riask every so often, and one entry says "New, Add to Table".
Hm... Might steal that add to table row idea. Guess that explains why a totally broke kid who doesn't understand any Riask bared little notice beyond a shrug.
Quote:
"Some money". Got it.

Julian "checks in" his stone, works the rest of the day, and goes back to his cubby hole. Home, as it were. The next few days are not terribly eventful, and he doesn't dream.
Guess it's time for another to-do list:
-> Work at the mine
-> Dig out the hole until the area I've dug isn't completely open (i.e. like a really short hall with a room off of it)
-> Get a curtain to cover up the "doorway" to the room I dig out (5L?)
-> Continue practicing Riask language
-> Figure out what to do with debris I'm digging out. Maybe there's a common dumping area? Maybe toss it over the edge? If neither of those work, maybe I could dump it out at the mine (I still have the basket I put the knifeheads in right?)
-> Once I feel I have some privacy (the curtain), draw a light on the vasic and on myself and see which runs out faster, if any.
-> Try to get better at cooking
-> Buy a proper piece of chalk instead of the nub that came with the Vasic (1L?)
-> Buy a rope and climb underneath the platforms on the exterior of Bumundo. Maybe there's stuff hidden down there.

If I'm not wrong, a few days should bring Julian to the next council day where he should have more free time.
Old 02-15-2023, 09:59 AM   #408
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Julian sets about working hard and setting up his little home. He still has money coming in.

Dumping the debris over the edge appears to be common. He is advised to do it "Near the Waterfall". There is a dumping area.

The Curtain looks more like 10L to me. Chalk is 8s.

Let me know how much rope Julian is going to buy, and of what kind. See low-tech page 23. 3/4 and 1/2 inch plant fiber rope are especially popular (1L 4s per 10 yards and 3L per 10 yards, holding 450 or 1000 lbs).

The next council day is seven days from when he got back (He missed one while captured). Julian hears rumors that some enemy soldiers were captured, and that they are being sent to Tiskar.

Julian gets about an hour of digging each night. He's halfway to his "jail cell", if that's the shape he's going for.

He's starting to get tired of rice, but he thinks he's cooking it right, for now.

What is his money at?

Old 02-15-2023, 05:36 PM   #409
TGLS

Quote:
The next council day is seven days from when he got back (He missed one while captured).
Quote:
They say Holidays happen on the 10th, 15th, 20th, 30th, and 35th days of the "month"
So Julian was still tied to Paldrian and Togar on the 14th, ran off on the 15th, and stumbled around in the dark for another week or so before making it back on the 23rd? Anyway:

Quote:
What is his money at?
Three days (15L) plus the partial day (?L; less than four probably, I did mention something about working for nothing as an apology) plus the carry over 9L 12s puts Julian somewhere between 24L-29L and change. I'll assume 24L 12s.

Quote:
He's starting to get tired of rice, but he thinks he's cooking it right, for now.
Well, I'll pick up some of the cooked meat from a food stand, cutting it up and mixing it in with cooked rice. Maybe that will make the plain white rice more palatable. (1L/day -> 21L 12s). Maybe there are sauces or spices that could be mixed in? Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I could try cooking the yam-things or maybe cooking meat?

Quote:
The Curtain looks more like 10L to me. Chalk is 8s.

Let me know how much rope Julian is going to buy, and of what kind. See low-tech page 23. 3/4 and 1/2 inch plant fiber rope are especially popular (1L 4s per 10 yards and 3L per 10 yards, holding 450 or 1000 lbs).
30 meters of the thinner rope seems like more than enough. I'll buy the other two. (13L 20s -> 7L 8s).

Quote:
Dumping the debris over the edge appears to be common. He is advised to do it "Near the Waterfall". There is a dumping area.
Hm. I guess it all gets tossed right over, and doesn't sit there very long. I wonder if there'd be any use digging through the trash anyway.

Quote:
Julian gets about an hour of digging each night. He's halfway to his "jail cell", if that's the shape he's going for.
Well, maybe make it a bit longer on one end. Probably keep the axe around to help expand the hole if I need it.

Quote:
Julian sets about working hard and setting up his little home. He still has money coming in.
I breath out a sigh of relief after another long day of work. This isn't how I expected things to work out, especially after I ran away from the orphanage. Maybe ending up here was things working out for the better?

Quote:
Julian sets about working hard and setting up his little home. He still has money coming in. Julian hears rumors that some enemy soldiers were captured, and that they are being sent to Tiskar.
My mind briefly thinks back to Tarbreth. He was a bad person, and he probably did no better than what's being done to him, but... I don't know. Has torturing him really produced results? Does it matter? I don't think anybody deserves to be treated like that, even him...

I roll over and try to not let this trouble my sleep.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:08 AM   #410
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
So Julian was still tied to Paldrian and Togar on the 14th, ran off on the 15th, and stumbled around in the dark for another week or so before making it back on the 23rd? Anyway:
Oh, wow, I did come up with a schedule. Oops. He should probably of come back on the 17th or so. We can say the 23rd though.

Quote:
I'll assume 24L 12s.
Thanks. You can add 2L.

Quote:
Well, I'll pick up some of the cooked meat from a food stand, cutting it up and mixing it in with cooked rice.
It works well enough... enough to keep him eating it, and Julian probably has experience with less than ideal diets.

Quote:
Hm. I guess it all gets tossed right over, and doesn't sit there very long. I wonder if there'd be any use digging through the trash anyway.
oh, its a spot to dump over, not a dump itself. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Quote:
30 meters of the thinner rope seems like more than enough. I'll buy the other two. (13L 20s -> 7L 8s).
Give me a climbing roll!

Last edited by ericthered; 02-16-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Tags
lost in dreams