Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #51
SilvercatMoonpaw

Default Re: Reaching Out to Potential and New GURPS Gamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
One of the best things about GURPS is that it lets you play the character you want & not be stuck playing one that best fits the stats you rolled.
You don't even have to invoke random char-gen: I'm stuck to GURPS because I can deliberately make one-trick-ponies with it. Sometimes a character concept does not call for breadth.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #52
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
I used the templates in Infinite Worlds for conventions. The response of the players was less enthusiastic then I hoped, they claimed that the characters were not very interesting.

So I build a variety of unique characters that shows what is possible in Grups, including a Xena-like amazon, a mage-detective from Merlin and a combat-maid gynoid.

My advice - do the extra work, it will pay out.
I think of it this way; you are not your job. The template defines your job, but everything else defines the character and makes them interesting.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #53
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I think of it this way; you are not your job. The template defines your job, but everything else defines the character and makes them interesting.
Yes. This is why when I do provide templates, I leave some margin of unspent points so the characters can be individualized.

When I ran my Worminghall campaign, all five PCs were built on the "new student in the Faculty of Magic" template, but they were respectively the son of a knight, two Welsh cousins who were sons of prosperous gentlemen, the bastard son of a servant woman, and an orphan raised in the wilds by dragons.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps revival