Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 AM   #51
Crystalline_Entity

Default Re: Star Trek Shuttles

I think if I were trying to use a Star Trek ship in GURPS I'd start with the volume rather than mass. We know how long (roughly) most starships are (though there are inconsistencies!) and so can estimate a volume and can check it because we know how many decks a given starship has (the common ones anyway), and how tall a human is. With mass I get the feeling the writers of each episode just made up a number, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Though given that GURPS Spaceships is a mass-based system there's always going to be some error in conversion. Star Trek isn't consistent itself so I think you just have to come up with something which "feels" right.

Edit: If it's any use a while ago I discovered a webpage with guesses at volumes of starships from Star Trek and Star Wars here

Last edited by Crystalline_Entity; 01-01-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Add link
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #52
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalline_Entity View Post
With mass I get the feeling the writers of each episode just made up a number,
It's all made up but with the TOS Enterprise (NCC-1701)they just decided it was the same length as the 1960s USN nuclear aircraft carrier Enterprise but 2x as massive even though it carried a little lass than 1/10th the crew.

If we go all the way back to FASATrek one of the developers has said that they took the 190,000 ton figure for gospel and then took the Official deck plans and tried to allocate that mass with their design system.

They ran ort of stuff to spend mass on by about 20,000 tons and just put the rest into the warp engines which were then listed as 170,000 tons in the design system. Neutronium shielding or something. At least it explains why the secondary hull has so little effect on the ship's center of mass. :)

The odd thing is that there was an Enterprise (NX-01) episode where they used the corridors in the nacelles as a radiation shelter (while the warp engines were offline) because they had massive shielding.

So I wouldn't go to all the trouble of the volume-based approach. I have no idea of the densities involved.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #53
Captain Joy

Quote:
Edit: If it's any use a while ago I discovered a webpage with guesses at volumes of starships from Star Trek and Star Wars here
I've been using The Starfleet-Museum for ship stats and blueprints in my Star Trek games.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #54
Prince Charon

Quote:
I wouldn't use a vs site for a reference, personally: the creators tend to get too wrapped up in the argument, and become rather biased.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #55
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Neither. Both. The Million Gross Tons figure was pulled from a throw-away line in one of the episodes. The 190,000 metric ton figure was pulled from the (semi-official, but not really) Star Trek Tech Manual. Neither one necessarily likes up with the reality of the show, let alone the reality of how massive the Enterprise should be.
ISTR reading somewhere that at least some of the mass numbers that the production staff sometimes threw around were based on the Apollo Command Module density...which is actually relatively high because there was little in the way of empty space in the ACM. But they applied that same density to the larger ships of the Federation, and got rather high mass numbers.

But whether that story is true or not I do not know.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #56
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
ISTR reading somewhere that at least some of the mass numbers that the production staff sometimes threw around were based on the Apollo Command Module density...which is actually relatively high because there was little in the way of empty space in the ACM. But they applied that same density to the larger ships of the Federation, and got rather high mass numbers.

But whether that story is true or not I do not know.
Not True for TOS. There length and mass numbers derived from the CVN Enterprise to NCC-1701 Enterprise in the way I said. It was well known at the time.

The Apollo Command Module wasn't tremendously dense. At least it floated by itself. It was n't very stable in the water without help but it did float.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:23 PM   #57
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Not True for TOS. There length and mass numbers derived from the CVN Enterprise to NCC-1701 Enterprise in the way I said. It was well known at the time.

The Apollo Command Module wasn't tremendously dense. At least it floated by itself. It was n't very stable in the water without help but it did float.
It would give relatively high density if scaled up, though. A larger vessel, with more open space within it, wouldn't reflect it very well.

Last edited by Johnny1A.2; 01-01-2017 at 10:50 PM.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #58
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
It would give relatively high density if scaled up, though. A larger vessel, with more open space within it, wouldn't reflect it very well.
Depends: it was also relatively flimsy, to save mass. A ship with more open space but thicker scantlings might balance out close to the same density. Really, there are too many variable to say.
thrash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
star trek, star trek spaceships