Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-15-2022, 09:45 AM   #81
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Haggling

Rolling vs Gesture 13 --- 8+1 to merchant
Rolling vs Linguistics 12 -- 7+1 to merchant
Rolling at merchant 12 - 4 (worse than broken) +1 +1 = 10 vs 7

He gets 15s per rice wrap. He now has 3L 4s. It strikes him as a bit odd that the vendors seem to sell the exact same food in the morning and in the evening. He also thinks the set of vendors out in the morning vs. evening is different.

The boys meet him just inside the mine, and want to play more of the coin flip game. It seems it is not yet quite time for work. The Kapatas keeps glancing at them. Then its time for what appears to be a shift change. Another set of boys comes out of the tunnels, turn in their light-stones, and receive their money, along with men coming out of various places to stash wheelbarrows, buckets, and other gear.

The boys each head off to their own tunnels, with Ump and Julian together. They receive their light stones, and its time for work again.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:09 AM   #82
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He now has 3L 4s.
Hopefully I don't drop any of these coins.

Quote:
It strikes him as a bit odd that the vendors seem to sell the exact same food in the morning and in the evening.
Hm. It does seem at least consistent. Brog didn't know what morning meant. Apparently mines operate around the clock and it's daylight all the time, so why would there be a difference in the food being sold either?

Quote:
He also thinks the set of vendors out in the morning vs. evening is different.
Well, surely they go to sleep too, right? It'd be weirder if there weren't different people at different times of day.

Quote:
The boys meet him just inside the mine, and want to play more of the coin flip game.
Well, apparently I need to kill time anyway, so I'll join in. Hopefully I don't make a fool of myself.

Quote:
It seems it is not yet quite time for work. The Kapatas keeps glancing at them.
I guess they might not think we're entirely trustworthy.

Quote:
Another set of boys comes out of the tunnels, turn in their light-stones, and receive their money,
Where does the supervisor keep the money when he's not paying people?
--
Are there multiple supervisors? Do the hand over the money when they receive the Vasic lights?

Quote:
The boys each head off to their own tunnels, with Ump and Julian together. They receive their light stones, and its time for work again.
Well, depending on how talkative Ump is being, I might try to make up a song. Nothing special, just something to the tune of the wheels on the bus.

"This is how we push the basket, push the basket, push the basket. This is how we push the basket, all day long."
"This is how we light the hole, light the hole, light the hole. This is how we light the hole, all day long."
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #83
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Well, apparently I need to kill time anyway, so I'll join in. Hopefully I don't make a fool of myself.
Make a DX roll. Make an IQ-based carousing roll.

Quote:
Where does the supervisor keep the money when he's not paying people?
--
Are there multiple supervisors? Do the hand over the money when they receive the Vasic lights?
The Kapatas keeps the money in a big wooden chest with a heavy old-fashioned lock built into it. The chest is kept in plain sight, and the key is in the Kapatas's pocket and tied to his belt. The stones are handed in before the money is handed out, but some care is made to ensure they are all handed back in. There are different Kapata's for each crew of workers, and they each use a different chest of money.

Quote:
Well, depending on how talkative Ump is being, I might try to make up a song. Nothing special, just something to the tune of the wheels on the bus.

"This is how we push the basket, push the basket, push the basket. This is how we push the basket, all day long."
"This is how we light the hole, light the hole, light the hole. This is how we light the hole, all day long."
Ump is almost always talkative!

He likes the song, and wants to know what the meaning is, and then starts making up his own words in his own language.

After a few minutes and verses, someone else in the tunnel yells at them, and Ump stops singing, gestures for Julian to do so, and looks sheepish.

The work is really being hard on Julian's knees: they hurt.

Roll against HT.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #84
TGLS

Quote:
Make a DX roll. Make an IQ-based carousing roll.
Put up a dice log on the same site as the others and added the email you use there.
Quote:
[2] 22-04-18 20:41:30 CEST
Carousing floated to IQ
3d6 <= 13
3 + 5 + 1 = 9 ... success
[1] 22-04-18 20:41:19 CEST
DX
3d6 <= 12
5 + 2 + 2 = 9 ... success
Good, I didn't toss a real into a crack in the wall. Or say something stupid... OK, maybe I said something stupid but at least it's something forgivably stupid given I don't speak Riask well.

Quote:
There are different Kapata's for each crew of workers, and they each use a different chest of money.
And each crew's, what, 10 people? Probably wouldn't be able to jump into a second line with a second Vasic light.

Quote:
He likes the song, and wants to know what the meaning is, and then starts making up his own words in his own language.
I'll try to avoid tripping over the word day; I don't imagine they have something that matches just right if they don't understand morning.
Quote:
[3] 22-04-18 22:30:55 CEST
Linguistics
3d6 <= 12
2 + 2 + 4 = 8 ... success
Do I understand what his verses are saying? Maybe I'll ask later.

Quote:
After a few minutes and verses, someone else in the tunnel yells at them, and Ump stops singing, gestures for Julian to do so, and looks sheepish.
I guess I'll stop. Bad things happen to kids who don't keep their mouth shut. I can hum in the meantime. This is real boring work.

Quote:
The work is really being hard on Julian's knees: they hurt.

Roll against HT.
I wonder how much a pair of pants would really help. I bet kneepads like what rollerskaters and skateboarders use would probably be best...
Quote:
[4] 22-04-18 22:33:15 CEST
HT
3d6 <= 12
6 + 3 + 3 = 12 ... success
I guess my legs haven't given out yet.

Last edited by TGLS; 04-19-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:28 AM   #85
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Put up a dice log on the same site as the others and added the email you use there.

Good, I didn't toss a real into a crack in the wall. Or say something stupid... OK, maybe I said something stupid but at least it's something forgivably stupid given I don't speak Riask well.
forgivably stupid, hillarious, and endearing... the boys have fun, and Julian doesn't do too terrible at the game.

Quote:
And each crew's, what, 10 people? Probably wouldn't be able to jump into a second line with a second Vasic light.
In this context, "Shift" is probably a better word, and there are easily over 50 people, maybe a hundred or even more. There are multiple holes, and those holes have multiple branches, and each branch is full of people moving earth out.

Quote:
I'll try to avoid tripping over the word day; I don't imagine they have something that matches just right if they don't understand morning.

Do I understand what his verses are saying? Maybe I'll ask later.
He's talking about actions in the mine: the sounds of the pick, the shuffle of the basket, and something about the light stones. He's using a word that Julian thinks means "shift".

Quote:
I wonder how much a pair of pants would really help. I bet kneepads like what rollerskaters and skateboarders use would probably be best...

I guess my legs haven't given out yet.
Your legs have not given out yet...that's not what the roll was for. Julian has a number of cuts and scrapes on the knees.

His third shift ends. The boys all get their coins, and head back to the place where they all slept immediately. Julian has 5L 2s.

OCC: I think we're getting close to defining a routine... at least for work.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #86
TGLS

Quote:
In this context, "Shift" is probably a better word, and there are easily over 50 people, maybe a hundred or even more. There are multiple holes, and those holes have multiple branches, and each branch is full of people moving earth out.
And I take it they get off at different times?
Quote:
He's talking about actions in the mine: the sounds of the pick, the shuffle of the basket, and something about the light stones. He's using a word that Julian thinks means "shift".
Like shift of people or move slightly?
Quote:
Your legs have not given out yet...that's not what the roll was for. Julian has a number of cuts and scrapes on the knees.
Hopefully nothing's infected... I may need to do something drastic if this grind keeps up.
Quote:
His third shift ends. The boys all get their coins, and head back to the place where they all slept immediately.
I'll momentarily peel off from the group to grab something to eat. Won't bother haggling this time.
Quote:
Julian has 5L 2s.
Oh well I guess... Wait a minute:
Quote:
He now has 3L 4s.
This wasn't a particularly short shift, right?
"That's less than two Escudo; what's going on here?"

Hopefully I get paid what I've been shorted, or at least get a good explanation.

Quote:
OCC: I think we're getting close to defining a routine... at least for work.
Yeah probably. Even if I was getting paid a steady four Escudo, it's still forever away from any clothes.

Quote:
sorry, 8L 2s. More coming tomorrow.
Hm. Back to three escudo for a shift. Maybe I could ask Ump about why pay might vary from shift to shift. No need to make a big deal about it.

Last edited by TGLS; 04-19-2022 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:28 AM   #87
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

sorry, 8L 2s. More coming tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:10 AM   #88
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
And I take it they get off at different times?
No, most people get off all at once.

Quote:
Like shift of people or move slightly?
Like shift of people. You finally have at least one unit of time.

Quote:
Hopefully nothing's infected... I may need to do something drastic if this grind keeps up.
And you've figured out what the HT roll was for...

Quote:
Hm. Back to three escudo for a shift. Maybe I could ask Ump about why pay might vary from shift to shift. No need to make a big deal about it.

8L 4s. You got five escudo. Somewhere in my higher math classes I lost the ability to do basic arithmetic.

Quote:
I'll momentarily peel off from the group to grab something to eat. Won't bother haggling this time.

One meal or two? you skipped lunch...

Julian has almost enough money for clothes ... before he eats!

Will Julian join his friends after eating?

Old 04-20-2022, 09:38 AM   #89
TGLS

Quote:
No, most people get off all at once.
Hm. Maybe it would be possible to get paid twice then. Then again, I should be able to afford clothes and food tomorrow.
Quote:
Like shift of people. You finally have at least one unit of time.
I briefly wonder if it's some kind of siesta pattern, then rule it out given that I'm still hungry for meals at the right times.
Quote:
8L 4s. You got five escudo. Somewhere in my higher math classes I lost the ability to do basic arithmetic.
Apparently I did too. Along with how much Julian was paid the previous two shifts. Maybe I shouldn't post after midnight.
Quote:
One meal or two? you skipped lunch...
Hm... I thought having a big breakfast would have covered that... I'll take one I guess.

Quote:
Julian has almost enough money for clothes ... before he eats!
I thought it was 8L... Still, buying clothes will have to wait until tomorrow.

Quote:
Will Julian join his friends after eating?
Well I'll try to. I've got more things I've been wondering about:
"What do they dig for at the lower mine? Vasic?"
"How far down do the vegetative tunnels after the wooden tunnel go?"
"Where do the vegetative tunnels after the wooden tunnel go?"
"What's with the real big piece of Vasic near the fountain? People got on it and disappeared..."
"I understand that rocks are dumped in the waterfall otherwise people might be hurt. Who would be hurt if rocks were dumped in the wrong place? The flying people; Lawin? Somebody below the clouds?"

[To Brog and/or Rails]
"Where did you get the piece of Vasic?"
"How do you know what pattern you need to draw to make it light up?"
"Could you make your Vasic make heat? Or does the piece of Vasic matter?"
Old 04-21-2022, 09:32 AM   #90
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Hm... I thought having a big breakfast would have covered that... I'll take one I guess.
I suppose my point is you are still a meal behind! (but just one)

Quote:
"What do they dig for at the lower mine? Vasic?"
Vasic Stone, much like here. That's what this place is all about. Mining Vasic stone. And selling things to Hawkin.

Quote:
"How far down do the vegetative tunnels after the wooden tunnel go?"
"Where do the vegetative tunnels after the wooden tunnel go?"
There are lots and lots of tunnels. They're not sure how far you could go. maybe in a big circle? The tunnels go to more vegetated tunnels, and to Hawkin places. And something about a giant bug that digs.

Quote:
"What's with the real big piece of Vasic near the fountain? People got on it and disappeared..."
Its how you get to the bottom of the waterfall.

Quote:
"I understand that rocks are dumped in the waterfall otherwise people might be hurt. Who would be hurt if rocks were dumped in the wrong place? The flying people; Lawin? Somebody below the clouds?"
People at the bottom of the waterfall. Something about ships. But not the Hawkin.

Quote:
[To Brog and/or Rails]
"Where did you get the piece of Vasic?"
Their "big people" got it for them. 25 Large coins, it seems.

Quote:
"How do you know what pattern you need to draw to make it light up?"
They happily show it to him. This is seemingly something they all practice and can do, drawing the lines fairly accurately.

Quote:
"Could you make your Vasic make heat? Or does the piece of Vasic matter?"
Yes, they know the heat pattern. Not as well though. Same stone.

Tags
lost in dreams