Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #141
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
They've seemingly got high TL4 tools in the mine. So its not out of the question...
Well I guess I can ask around where they would make fancy mechanisms like that. I could probably motion it out with my fist cupped in my other hand moving around... Though I'll have to wait until tomorrow even if I find out where I could get something like that I guess.

Quote:
The next morning, Ump invites "Jules" to breakfast with his family. Which mostly consists of sisters. There are three of them: two older and one younger. Ump's father is also present. The food is much wetter and looser than Julian has been eating: a bowl of rice with a broth poured over it.
"Thank you very much for your hospitality. [Probably gets mangled into "food"]"

I suppose Ump's father was pointed out yesterday in the mines.
I direct the next question to one of Ump's older sisters, "So, what do you do all day? Do you work too?" And then to the other, "How about you?"

Quote:
The suggestions from the boys are a thief who stole something really valuable, a runaway rich kid, violent bandits, or enemy soldiers.

Ump's father favors the thought that they are looking for enemy soldiers.
"Soldiers. Who look like us. How would they even get here? Wouldn't they just get pushed off when they tried to land on the Vasic? And what could a few soldiers do anyway?"

Quote:
He also doesn't think that they exist: "Just paranoia by thugs with too little to do and an excuse for them to steal a few coins".
"If they just wanted to rob people why would they even need an excuse? They didn't give one to us."

Quote:
Its a holiday, and it seems all of Bamundo is taking it off. Something about a bunch of people down on riask's floor meeting.
All or almost all? I'd think that at least the food vendors would be working; big money on the holiday season... Otherwise, I guess I starve.

Last edited by TGLS; 06-09-2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Pallette Swap
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:40 AM   #142
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post

"Thank you very much for your hospitality. [Probably gets mangled into "food"]"

I suppose Ump's father was pointed out yesterday in the mines.
I direct the next question to one of Ump's older sisters, "So, what do you do all day? Do you work too?" And then to the other, "How about you?"
Ump's father was indeed pointed out.
Oldest Sister: "I'm an assistant at the food-place."
Second Sister: "I help mother with washing, cooking, and sewing"
Mother: "There is a lot of extra work to be done here. Men without women pay us to help"

Quote:
"Soldiers. Who look like us. How would they even get here? Wouldn't they just get pushed off when they tried to land on the Vasic? And what could a few soldiers do anyway?"
Father after several simplifications: "They think the soldiers left their weapons behind and looked normal. Came as miners. Then they can make spears and steal Bamudo for their city. But this is not happening."

Quote:
"If they just wanted to rob people why would they even need an excuse? They didn't give one to us."
Father: "They need an excuse to their leaders, not to us. They must at least pretend to be keeping us safe."

Quote:
All or almost all? I'd think that at least the food vendors would be working; big money on the holiday season... Otherwise, I guess I starve.
almost all. The oldest sister has a big day ahead of her. Many people are not working. Vendors are spotty: many aren't working today, but many new ones show up in the market. At least for selling food.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #143
TGLS

Quote:
Ump's father was indeed pointed out.
Oldest Sister: "I'm an assistant at the food-place."
"Do you know why they serve the same food all hours of the day?"
Quote:
Second Sister: "I help mother with washing, cooking, and sewing"
Mother: "There is a lot of extra work to be done here. Men without women pay us to help"
Figures; an entire day's work gets one shirt and I doubt anyone has a washing machine. Maybe you could use Vasic to construct a washing machine, warping the water and clothes throughout the basin, sloshing about.
Quote:
Father after several simplifications: "They think the soldiers left their weapons behind and looked normal. Came as miners. Then they can make spears and steal Bamudo for their city. But this is not happening."
"Has that ever happened here? Anywhere?"
Quote:
Father: "They need an excuse to their leaders, not to us. They must at least pretend to be keeping us safe."
"If it's obviously a paper-thin excuse, why would their leaders buy it? And if they're willing to lie, why not just say they were never here?"

"But if they're as bad as you say, maybe somebody should do something about them."

Quote:
almost all. The oldest sister has a big day ahead of her. Many people are not working. Vendors are spotty: many aren't working today, but many new ones show up in the market. At least for selling food.
I guess I'll get to go browse and have something new and exciting today!

Quote:
Something about a bunch of people down on riask's floor meeting.
Is that the best answer Julian's getting for now or can he ask for details? If so:
"What exactly is going down on the floor of Riask? A government meeting? A religious festival?"

Last edited by TGLS; 06-09-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #144
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Do you know why they serve the same food all hours of the day?"
"Who? the Market Vendors? They sell the same food because they're market vendors. We change up the food."

Quote:
"Has that ever happened here? Anywhere?"
"Not here, but in other communities on the ceiling. Four years ago Temiri was taken that way. That made everyone paranoid. Nothing has happened since though, and they've had time."

Quote:
"If it's obviously a paper-thin excuse, why would their leaders buy it? And if they're willing to lie, why not just say they were never here?"
"Because their leaders care that they are were they are supposed to be more than they care about what they steal. We could report them if they were in the wrong place and the leaders would punish them."

Quote:
"But if they're as bad as you say, maybe somebody should do something about them."
"Thugs are Thugs. Can't fix it, just make the best of the situation."

Quote:

Is that the best answer Julian's getting for now or can he ask for details? If so:
"What exactly is going down on the floor of Riask? A government meeting? A religious festival?"
A government meeting with religious ceremonies beforehand. The council of Tiskara is meeting today. Tiskara is the city that controls bamundo.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 06-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #145
TGLS

Quote:
"Who? the Market Vendors? They sell the same food because they're market vendors. We change up the food."
"Yeah, the market vendors. Would the tastes of people change throughout the day, so it would be smart to sell different food at different times?"

Quote:
"Not here, but in other communities on the ceiling. Four years ago Temiri was taken that way. That made everyone paranoid. Nothing has happened since though, and they've had time."
"So maybe the security measures are working? You wouldn't need to actually catch an enemy soldier to neutralize them. All you need to do is to make it too risky to gather weapons in the first place."

Quote:
"Because their leaders care that they are were they are supposed to be more than they care about what they steal. We could report them if they were in the wrong place and the leaders would punish them."
"Oh, so their leaders told them to go investigate this neighborhood, and they just took advantage."

Quote:
"Thugs are Thugs. Can't fix it, just make the best of the situation."
I open my mouth as if to say something, and then close it back up. I can't really judge them; I didn't do anything about Beatty either. Just made the best of a bad situation... And look where that got me.

"I was in a bad situation too once. Making the best of it didn't really help anything in the long run. Things got worse either way."

Quote:
A government meeting with religious ceremonies beforehand. The council of Tiskara is meeting today. Tiskara is the city that controls bamundo.
I suppose the councilors have different jobs the rest of the time, which is why everyone gets time off. Does Bumundo have a councilor?
Old 06-10-2022, 09:47 AM   #146
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Yeah, the market vendors. Would the tastes of people change throughout the day, so it would be smart to sell different food at different times?"
"Vendors sell one kind of food. Every day. That's how it works. People choose what they want. The <place she works at> feeds people on our shift, and we change up the food type by meal."

Quote:
"So maybe the security measures are working? You wouldn't need to actually catch an enemy soldier to neutralize them. All you need to do is to make it too risky to gather weapons in the first place."
(that is far too fancy language for what he is actually saying!)
"That could be. They still could paranoid and running the checks far too often."

Quote:
"Oh, so their leaders told them to go investigate this neighborhood, and they just took advantage."
"Yes"

Quote:
"I was in a bad situation too once. Making the best of it didn't really help anything in the long run. Things got worse either way."
"I can see that. How far from trouble are you now?"

Quote:
I suppose the councilors have different jobs the rest of the time, which is why everyone gets time off. Does Bumundo have a councilor?
Skalindir. Bumundo is his.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:50 AM   #147
TGLS

Quote:
"Vendors sell one kind of food. Every day. That's how it works. People choose what they want. The <place she works at> feeds people on our shift, and we change up the food type by meal.
"I see. I thought it had to do with the..." I'm at a loss for words to describe night. "Constant light? No darkness? No... [English] nighttime."

Quote:
(that is far too fancy language for what he is actually saying!)
I suppose I could start looking at a Simple English dictionary and make sentences terser, but I think adding in a simplification step to the translation convention works just as fine.

Quote:
"That could be. They still could paranoid and running the checks far too often."

"Yes" [The leaders are the ones who are apparently giving the order to check]
"Maybe the guards are lying so they have more opportunities to steal. The guards are the eyes and ears, right? Garbage in, garbage out."

Quote:
"I can see that. How far from trouble are you now?"
"Unsure. Far, beyond Riask far. Maybe beyond beyond Riask. Beyond Kiraskan maybe." I gather my thoughts for a moment, It's bittersweet; happy and sad. I've left my troubles behind, along with everything else."

I glance at my journal, "Almost everything else."

Quote:
Skalindir. Bumundo is his.
"I suppose little people," I pause to look for something less idiomatic, "not rich, unimportant people, have no say in whether Bumundo is Skalindir's or not. Who decides?"

Last edited by TGLS; 06-13-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #148
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I see. I thought it had to do with the..." I'm at a loss for words to describe night. "Constant light? No darkness? No... [English] nighttime."
"It does. The vendors sell to whoever is awake and out, and we sell to people on our shift the right meals"

Quote:
I suppose I could start looking at a Simple English dictionary and make sentences terser, but I think adding in a simplification step to the translation convention works just as fine.
Yeah, its just a flavor comment. I will continue trying to use small words in the answers he gets, at least for now.

Quote:
"Maybe the guards are lying so they have more opportunities to steal. The guards are the eyes and ears, right? Garbage in, garbage out."
"I'm sure they are".

Quote:
"Unsure. Far, beyond Riask far. Maybe beyond beyond Riask. Beyond Kiraskan maybe." I gather my thoughts for a moment, It's bittersweet; happy and sad. I've left my troubles behind, along with everything else."

I glance at my journal, "Almost everything else."
They're quiet and let him have his moment.

Quote:
"I suppose little people," I pause to look for something less idiomatic, "not rich, unimportant people, have no say in whether Bumundo is Skalindir's or not. Who decides?"
Ump's Father: "Hah! No! Not at all. Money, Swords, and Oaths decide that."

Old 06-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #149
TGLS

Quote:
They're quiet and let him have his moment.
I notice the silence after a few seconds. "Sorry, I'm bringing the mood down, aren't I?"

Quote:
Ump's Father: "Hah! No! Not at all. Money, Swords, and Oaths decide that."
"Swords? So every now and then they have a fight in the streets to see who gets to be the new councilor? And oaths? Do they put a lot of weight in what a politician says?"
Old 06-14-2022, 08:11 AM   #150
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"Swords? So every now and then they have a fight in the streets to see who gets to be the new councilor? And oaths? Do they put a lot of weight in what a politician says?"
"Not usually in the streets, but its happened. A councilor without an army will loose what has. Unless his friends remember their oaths. They control things by having their soldiers beat or kill those who disagree with them, and by oaths to each other about where their soldiers go."

Tags
lost in dreams