Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 PM   #331
Johan Larson

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

They call it the Jesus Plague. You fall ill rapidly and hover near death for three days but then you recover just as rapidly and are fine.

For even more fun, have the worst part of the illness resemble actual death: cold skin, apparent rigor mortis, and very reduced pulse and breathing.
Johan Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #332
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
They call it the Jesus Plague. You fall ill rapidly and hover near death for three days but then you recover just as rapidly and are fine.

For even more fun, have the worst part of the illness resemble actual death: cold skin, apparent rigor mortis, and very reduced pulse and breathing.
So...what's the game use?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:42 PM   #333
Johan Larson

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
So...what's the game use?
It's a red herring in a paranormal-investigation game. The heroes get reports of dead men walking around. It turns out there's a natural cause, but the players have to understand the problem first.

The real challenge will be either a) persuading medical authorities that the people who seem to die of the plague aren't really dead (so they won't inadvertently be killed by being put in body bags or something similar) or b) persuading the superstitious locals that the revivals aren't supernatural (so they won't be killed in exorcism ceremonies.)
Old 11-13-2016, 03:08 AM   #334
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Larson View Post
It's a red herring in a paranormal-investigation game. The heroes get reports of dead men walking around. It turns out there's a natural cause, but the players have to understand the problem first.

The real challenge will be either a) persuading medical authorities that the people who seem to die of the plague aren't really dead (so they won't inadvertently be killed by being put in body bags or something similar) or b) persuading the superstitious locals that the revivals aren't supernatural (so they won't be killed in exorcism ceremonies.)
Have it start amongst one of the religious groups that abhors embalming, and holds the funeral on day four. (I know both such groups exist, but I don't know if they overlap. I suspect at least one does.)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:36 AM   #335
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Have it start amongst one of the religious groups that abhors embalming, and holds the funeral on day four. (I know both such groups exist, but I don't know if they overlap. I suspect at least one does.)
If I remember Orthodox Jews regard mutilating the dead with distaste but consider forensic examination a life or death matter.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #336
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
If I remember Orthodox Jews regard mutilating the dead with distaste but consider forensic examination a life or death matter.
They object to routine autopsy, but allow it if supervised by a rabbi and all samples are interred with the body. They're one of the groups that wants the body in the ground as soon as possible. So, in that aspect, they make a poor choice.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #337
David Johnston2

Every single person in a small town wakes up to discover that they can't remember who they are. (Players design all their characters as Partial Amnesiacs. The GM then decides what role in the town they were made for based on their design.) They must investigate their homes and the town for clues as to who they were and what their relationships were, why their town wide malady happened, and why communications with the outside world seems to have been disabled.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #338
Johan Larson

The PCs are a group of ghosts of people who left something important undone before dying. As ghosts they can only just barely effect changes in the material world. They also know they don't have all that long before they pass completely from the world.

I'm not quite sure how to make an adventure like this work. Obviously, the challenge for the players would be to make a lot of a little, accomplishing their goals in a world they can only just barely influence. But what subtle influence would be the best choice?

Perhaps only their former pets can see them. One might be able to make some things happen through a large obedient dog.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #339
crretin

The day Ragnorak came late: For what ever reason it took more time than it should've to get the Viking apocalypse started, but in the year 3000 it finally came in a cyberpunk future.

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #340
crretin

The Acadamy: The players play mad scientists in a secret school for for mad scientists. Pretty much harry potter if you scooped out all the magic and replaced it with mad science

Blood and Ink: The result of taking a noir storyline and dropping it into the middle of a wushu style fantasy, where corruption hides behind a false sense of honour and in the end all men must pay there dues...

crretin is offline   Reply With Quote