Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #431
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

For some reason it reminds me of the independent game, Kobolds Ate My Baby.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #432
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
For some reason it reminds me of the independent game, Kobolds Ate My Baby.
Tunnels and Trolls had a Monsters, Monsters book back in 1976 that was venture out from the dungeon and raid the humans.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #433
RyanW

Take the classic masked vigilante. There is a robbery, and the vigilante confronts the masked criminal on the roof. Their confrontation is caught by a news helicopter. Cue the praise for this new, unnamed hero (the criminal) who has appeared to put an end to the reign of terror of the city's most feared villain (the vigilante).

From there, I think the most interesting take would be that the criminal decides he likes the praise and tries to become the hero everyone thinks he is, but proving to be not very good at good.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #434
David Johnston2

The PCs are a group of teenage heroes who run into a guy who used to be in the same grade as them. Only now he's in his 30s and points out to them that they've been in grade 11 ever since 2001 without them or pretty much anyone else realizing it.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #435
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Take the classic masked vigilante. There is a robbery, and the vigilante confronts the masked criminal on the roof. Their confrontation is caught by a news helicopter. Cue the praise for this new, unnamed hero (the criminal) who has appeared to put an end to the reign of terror of the city's most feared villain (the vigilante).

From there, I think the most interesting take would be that the criminal decides he likes the praise and tries to become the hero everyone thinks he is, but proving to be not very good at good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(1992_film)
Sounds very similar to your idea.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #436
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The PCs are a group of teenage heroes who run into a guy who used to be in the same grade as them. Only now he's in his 30s and points out to them that they've been in grade 11 ever since 2001 without them or pretty much anyone else realizing it.
The Fairly Oddparents have a special, Timmy's Secret Wish,... to remain 10 forever without anyone else realizing. "When the council asked him when this wish was made, Timmy guessed he made it over fifty years ago."
Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #437
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
The Fairly Oddparents have a special, Timmy's Secret Wish,... to remain 10 forever without anyone else realizing. "When the council asked him when this wish was made, Timmy guessed he made it over fifty years ago."
In this case the idea comes from Mighty Protectors (aka Villains and Vigilantes 3.0) where they have a trio of entities who do this to supers and their supporting cast to keep them "fighting fit". I was amused by it as an explanation for flex time, although it's solution for something that is only a comic book problem and not a game problem.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 08-27-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #438
Flyndaran
Untagged

It could be the reason for reality quakes and retconning of supers' origin stories. As well as why they seem to occur in certain decades. The stretching of maintaining static time pockets for such characters in a human populated universe creates strain that eventually rebounds.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:50 PM   #439
David Johnston2

When I got a new computer I started playing Dragon Age Origins again so I could finally do the DLC I never got around to. And with that...ideas.

The characters are the performers in a traveling circus but of course since it's Dragon Age each has a daaaark secret.

In Dragon Age Origins there was a joke encounter where two peasants discover a baby who apparently arrived inside a meteorite. The players play characters such as that child grown to adulthood as a man who can outrun (or throw) a horse, a mage with a mysterious green lyrium ring that gives him vast amounts of mana, a Dalish archer with powerful enchanted arrows, a foppish Orlesian nobleman who secretly defends the victimized commoners of Val Royeux in a bat mask...

A campaign set in the future of Thedas. Tevinter has fallen with it's former territory divided between Orlais and the Qunari and the Black Divine having led the remaining Archons and their followers into refuge in Kal Sharok. The Chantry has schismed with the Free Marches having their own version of Andrastianism for each of the tiny kingdoms. And in the mean time the Thedas version of the industrial revolution is in full swing...
Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #440
jason taylor

Operation Phantom:

The players are a team from agency GMs choice. Their assignment: to make up a notational special agent that can strike fear in the enemy and divert his assets. They not only have to make their notational agent a master of all kinds of skills of covert war but find in the paper an appropriate number of incidents that can plausibly be credited to him.

How "knowledge" of this nonexistent Bond look-alike is supposed to be given is to be arranged. Perhaps your team has a double that does such missions regularly.

Varients include continuing to pump out notational Bonds and giving them notational subagents.

The team can include any mix, possibly the traditional one of the badass, the femme fatale, the techno-wizard, the perky girl, etc.