Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #211
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

So in lost in dreams we traditionally describe general tactics and then several rounds are fought using those instructions.

What is Olive's plan? What will she do if they try to grapple? If they try to stab?If the stand-off continues?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:25 PM   #212
Plane

Basically just going to try and dodge them and get past them to the door. Or "break free" if grappled.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:53 AM   #213
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Dawson is in front. Olive watches his limbs, just like basic training taught her to. What? when was she trained? It doesn't seem to have been terribly thorough. She has two streams of thought. A part of her watches and wonders where she learned this as a second part reacts.

Dawson hesitates, looking for the best opening, and she slips past him, running up into Lillo. (evade, DX 12 success by 4 vs. a failure by 3)

Dawson spins and attempts to grab her, but his hands are too high. (missed attack roll penalized by her starting out directly behind him, but would have missed anyways). Lillo also tries to wrap her tiny frame in his huge arms. He's more successful, but she spins quickly (attack succeeds by 2. Her dodge of 9 is supplemented by feverish defense 2, and succeeds by 4).

Olive is a touch worried about her ability to outrun her foes, but at least in the hall there will be more room to maneuver. She tries to move past Lillo. He reacts awkwardly, bumping into his partner in crime, and she moves out of her corner into the hall. (evade, DX 12 success by 5, critical failure by Lillo. My goodness the dice love you today)

In some corner of her mind, she hears an instructor talking about when its appropriate to draw attention to a fight, and when it is not. Who is that woman? what uniform is she wearing? And why is this at the front of olive's mind when she should be running for her life?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 PM   #214
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
missed attack roll penalized by her starting out directly behind him
Normally couldn't you just turn at the start of your turn or as part of a step? I can see how if charging per 60 degrees rotation some might avoid that though.

JDOG (Jane Doe / Olive Green) wonders if more than just these two men might be after her. She thinks perhaps she will stop calling for help and instead find somewhere to hide, observe and listen to any besides these two to see if they are hostile or not before revealing herself to them.

Any air vents, laundry chutes?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:33 AM   #215
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I penalized the attack because she started the turn behind him, in a fashion similar to a run around attack. Getting behind someone is a great strategy for avoiding their attacks, particularly if you're not trying to hang around. Its a skilled football player who can grab someone that already passed them.

The hall is made of the black semi-plastic that the rooms are made of. The walls are covered in panels, but like everything in this place, requires computer access to open, and aren't labeled. Most of the doors go to sleep chambers, like the one she just came from, and she knows where the two nearest bathrooms are (which still have the computer access). There are a very few joggers and pedestrians in the hall.

The closest thing to a laundry chute is the receptacle at the back of sleeper rooms that delivers food, clothing, and virtually everything else, and takes away trash as well. The air vents are at the sides of the floor, and consist of 2 inch strips of air holes running through the entire hall on both sides rather than a single large vent.

Her attackers are very close behind her.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #216
Plane

If they're close behind they'd probably see her go in there and pull her out before she figured out how to get away...

guess she'll keep running... which she isn't very good at due to being bow-legged, so I imagine they'll catch up unless they're slow.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #217
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

They'll catch her quickly, but Lillo's crash into Dawson gives her some time to put some distance between them. She runs as hard as she can. They gain on her, but she's bought at least a little time. The people in the hall way seem confused. They've almost caught up with her when she hears them trip and fall. Both at the same time.

If she turns around and looks, she'll see both of them lying there motionless.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #218
Plane

Turning around would be a waste of Movement Points if still being pursued, for all she knows only one guy fell! I guess will keep running, trying to turn corners, get well out of their sightline, looking for next available person who seems non-aggressive.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #219
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The ship is basically four 400 yard hallways stretched end to end in a circle with slightly more complex layouts between, so you're looking at a 150 yard run to get to the next corner or sight-line break. At least not without opening a door.

The people in the hall don't seem to be hostile. Running down these halls is a fairly normal activity, and there are even a few other runners, though none are going quite so fast as she is.

Does she have her System access unit on her?

it does not slow her down much to glance behind her, but if she's going to just run, that's fine.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #220
Plane

I think she would've kept ahold of the SAU, will look behind her after turning enough of a curve (since there's no actual corners) that she'd assume to be out of site.

Is it possible to ask the SAU if it could send help and report these guys for attacking her? I would think sprinting and talking would interfere with each other (breathing) but GURPS doesn't seem to cover that mechanically. Will try to get the gist of it out without reasonably slowing pace.