Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 02-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #641
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

I just got myself my first tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a pdf viewer I can use?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #642
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
I just got myself my first tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a pdf viewer I can use?
I use the Foxit reader on my Nexus 10 (which is also a ten-inch tablet made by Samsung). It works fine.

Grab a copy of OI File Manager, so that you can move files around more easily. I have a "GURPS Stuff" directory and an "Ogre Stuff" directory and a pile o' ebooks on board.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #643
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

For a PDF reader I really like EBookDroid. It has a nice bookshelf view, tabbed PDFs, inverse color mode for night reading (white text on black background), and a host of other features I really like. They've been steadily improving it over the last year or two.

I also like ES File Manager, which will allow you to move files around easily. If you use a windows computer you can share directories in Windows and access them directly with your tablet using ES File Manager, allowing you to easily download new books from your computer library right to your tablet.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #644
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Free, I recommend Radaee, as it was the fastest in my tests (warning, they might be outdated). Paid, RepliGo is my favorite, but ezPDF I awesome too.

With file managers, I go with Total Commander, as I particularly like the split panel view and the retro aesthetics.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #645
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

I seem to be quite the minority, but for me it's good ole Adobe Reader that gets my fancy. I find it simple, clean and functional, and no other reader has gotten all three for me.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #646
Celjabba

Quote:
I like ezPDF Reader for android.
Work well, usefull options(especially for adding notes and highlighting), quite fast.

And I second the suggestion of ES file explorer.

Celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 02-16-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #647
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I use DropBox to synch my files from Windows to iOS (iPad) to the Good Reader.

Good Reader is iOS-only, as far as I know, but is there a DropBox-compitable reader for Android? I find the auto-synch very convenient. I jus drop PDF files into the relevant subsub-folder in my RPG subfolder in my DropBox folder, and then a few minutes or a few days later, I manually actiate the synch function on my iPad, and some minutes later, all the new files are on my tablet.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #648
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post

Good Reader is iOS-only, as far as I know, but is there a DropBox-compitable reader for Android? I find the auto-synch very convenient. I jus drop PDF files into the relevant subsub-folder in my RPG subfolder in my DropBox folder, and then a few minutes or a few days later, I manually actiate the synch function on my iPad, and some minutes later, all the new files are on my tablet.
Any and all apps on Android are compatible with Dropbox, as Android does not force apps to not talk to one another, but instead includes access to the file system plus easy app communication. Dropbox integration is not needed, though some apps include it. I too use Dropbox to keep my PDFs on my tablet, but once there, I have a wealth of available readers for them. Should a PDF not play nice with a given reader, I simply use another one.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #649
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post

I use my SanDisk Wireless Flash Drive for similar goals. It carries the advantage that I can keep it in sync straight from my laptop, and its app will stream PDFs to any device that can see it (and has the password). Thus, the only time I have to clutter my devices' memory with a PDF is if it's big/complex enough to crash the WFD app's reader, or if I'm going to spend enough time with it that the WFD's battery might run down.

There's also the considerable advantage that I can clip the WFD to a lanyard and take it with me - so I can use it anywhere, whether there's an Internet connection or not.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #650
Buzzardo

Warning to all Foxit users: The latest automatic update installed a malware package called Search Assist. Don't use Foxit.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf