Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #561
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)
Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes665 View Post
That“s what I am planning, getting a Kindle for reading. But because I am rather sensitive to migraine induced by over-straining my eyes when reading. I have been looking into the basic Kindle but I because of my eyes I was recommended the Paperwhite.
The increased resolution and contrast from the Paperwhite could help you there, but I've found that the normal kindle is quite sharp anyway, at least for reading books (not for PDFs though, the lack of resolution is painfully evident there). As for contrast, the Kindle screen looks like a old book, it's pages no longer pristine white, instead being a warmer light brown.

I don't know how things are where you live, but here, however, Paperwhites are back-ordered until February...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #562
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I don't know how things are where you live, but here, however, Paperwhites are back-ordered until February...
The situation here is that we get a message basically saying "You're not cool enough to have one because you live in an out of the way place".

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #563
Hannes665

Well I got a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday and I am very impressed. Light, easy to read and navigate, great to use in bed after the lights are out and I don“t get any strain on they eyes and thus my worries about headaches are none.

I don“t recommend it when reading comics though.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #564
panton41

I got a Paperwhite and my only major complaint is that it doesn't seem to have quite the same battery life of previous models. I know that's because of the light, which can't be fully turned off, but it still seems to be using excessive power (compared to a Kindle Touch) even when sleeping.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #565
JackShadow

Wow this thread is still around 4 +years later. The technology/price ratio finally caught up with my gaming ebook needs. I found the perfect PDF reader for large format products like GURPS books (I still read novels in epub on my phone).

http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile/AS...er_Pad_TF300T/

Now every RPG purchase is digital only.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #566
nbowerbank

Now if only SJ Games would give me a discount for the digital versions of the many, many physical books I've purchased.

I don't expect them to be free, but seeing as how the digital versions are cheaper to produce I'd expect them to be cheaper to buy. As it stands the MSRP on the print version of GURPS Basic Set Characters is $29.95, the PDF version also costs $29.95. It's just frustrating to have to pay full price for the same content in a different format.
nbowerbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #567
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

What device has caught your fancy? What are you using as a reader?

I'm still on my ICS-upgraded Touchpad as mentioned upthread.

Since Christmas we've had a Nexus 7 living with us. I was curious as to what this form factor would bring to that party, and the missus got it as a gift to primarily use for book reading, and to have as her personal tablet around here.

And that's what it's good for basically. Not surpricingly, the smaller screen does not play very nice with GURPS pdfs. The youngest likes it very much for games - she handles it more easily than an iPad/Touchpad.

Held in landscape the reading is fine for full page width, but very little of the page is showing, and scrolling is thus increased.

Nexus 7 not recommended for pdf reading.

I think I'll still try to get lo-down'n'dirty with a 11.6+ incher at some point ...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #568
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackShadow View Post
Wow this thread is still around 4 +years later. The technology/price ratio finally caught up with my gaming ebook needs. I found the perfect PDF reader for large format products like GURPS books (I still read novels in epub on my phone).

http://www.asus.com/Tablet_Mobile/AS...er_Pad_TF300T/

Now every RPG purchase is digital only.
I do have the older version of that one, the Asus eee Pad Transformer TF101. The main difference between the two is that yours has a quad core newer CPU clocked at 1.3 GHz (Tegra 3), while mine has a dual core older CPU clocked at 1 GHz (Tegra 2). My advice is that if you want to read PDFs full screen, you either get Radaee PDF reader (free), RepliGo (Paid) or ezPDF (paid). Also, I recommend that you crop the margins of your PDFs, to make better use of your screen real estate. It makes a world of a difference, and makes PDFs fit the widescreen aspect ratio much better
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrathchild View Post
What device has caught your fancy? What are you using as a reader?

I'm still on my ICS-upgraded Touchpad as mentioned upthread.

Since Christmas we've had a Nexus 7 living with us. I was curious as to what this form factor would bring to that party, and the missus got it as a gift to primarily use for book reading, and to have as her personal tablet around here.

And that's what it's good for basically. Not surpricingly, the smaller screen does not play very nice with GURPS pdfs. The youngest likes it very much for games - she handles it more easily than an iPad/Touchpad.

Held in landscape the reading is fine for full page width, but very little of the page is showing, and scrolling is thus increased.

Nexus 7 not recommended for pdf reading.

I think I'll still try to get lo-down'n'dirty with a 11.6+ incher at some point ...
Have you tried cropping the margins? I find that the Nexus 7 works very well, as long as you have decent eyesight, and you make good use of your screen real estate. It has more pixels than your Touchpad, even if they are smaller, so text should be crispier, as long as you use the real estate properly.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #569
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbowerbank View Post
As it stands the MSRP on the print version of GURPS Basic Set Characters is $29.95, the PDF version also costs $29.95. It's just frustrating to have to pay full price for the same content in a different format.
Where are you getting the Basic Set: Characters for $29.95 in dead trees form? http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/basic/ says that the dead trees form for Characters is $49.95. (While the PDF is $29.99 -- so about a $20 discount for PDF!)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #570
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Where are you getting the Basic Set: Characters for $29.95 in dead trees form? http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/basic/ says that the dead trees form for Characters is $49.95. (While the PDF is $29.99 -- so about a $20 discount for PDF!)
My first though was Amazon, which does indeed have GURPS Basic Set: Characters for $29.22 and free shipping.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf