Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #41
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Matrix walker, could I get an explaination on this perk?
Sacrificial Parry (Style!) [1]

Also, what do you have in mind for the organization he belongs to? who runs it, and what are their motives? How are they funded, and how big is it? Just from the name, I'd guess its a fairly loose self-funded organization of vigilantes who strike against monsters who get particularly out of hand, or perhaps they particularly oppose the influence of the immortals as a matter of principle. If so, it would certainly explain why he has monster of the week: being a member of such an order puts a bullseye on your chest. If you want more cash and less of a support network we can say there are several wealthy individuals who fund it, from grateful men saved from aweful fates to corporations who are rivals with an immortal the organization is working for. Tweak to taste. It should either be local in scope or scattered in distribution.
I'll fix that, it should read "Sacrificial Parry (Taijutsu!)"
Sacrificial Parry is a perk that let's you use one of your parries to protect an ally from a foe in reach, you must specialize by combat skill. If you have a Style! you can use it for specialization for Perks and Techniques. (There is a good possibility that once the character is complete, you will see "Dual Weapon Attack (Taijutsu!) and/or "Counterattack (Taijutsu!)" on there as well.

As for the organization, you're close to hitting on the head, probably involving the order he learned his quasi mystical martial arts from...but I'm holding off on the fine print until I figure out if I am a monster or not ;)

I haven't figured on how much to allot to a Patron or if I want to simply say he get's the missions, but not support... I think my weapons are going to be sig gear, as I'm tricking them out and they are going to be pricey! so I'm not sure if I really NEED the Patron.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-05-2015 at 08:02 PM.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:17 PM   #42
Michael Thayne

Ericthered, any feedback on my character? (Edited the sheet to add a couple quirks, plus Fast-Draw skills.)
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #43
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Ericthered, any feedback on my character? (Edited the sheet to add a couple quirks, plus Fast-Draw skills.)
I've been looking at it, and it looks solid.

As far as optimization goes, bumping IQ and Per in exchange for lowering skills may be a good idea -- but its close enough the wildcard points might make keeping it as is worth it.

He's missing knowledge of the law, which he would be expected to have.

He's missing the note of his status with the supernatural community: knowledgeable, access, or inducted.

I could use info on what the nightmares look like: does it involve personal trauma, or someone elses? Is it about something that already has happened, something he fears will happen, or fantastic fears that probably won't happen (ancient horrors beyond modern ken)?

You still need to fill out the required character background:

Quote:
How they are connected to the supernatural world
A list of family and friends. This need not be long, nor represented on the sheet as anything else.
What they do for work, including basic location and setting if its a company, and if they are self employed how they find new work.
Where they live -- house, appartment, pocket dimension, ect.
The connection could use some expounding (does he just fight it, or is he an active member of the supernatural?)

His basic work situation has been described, but I'd like to know where he is in the pecking order, and what his associates and bosses think of him. Is he the loon put on things no one is ever going to solve? Or is he a valued asset who solves the impossible but happens to be a little loony? does anyone believe him? Perhaps a few former partners who swore off hunting down any more of the weird cases but know he's right?

Matrix Walker, I meant the sheer speed perk. sorry

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 01-05-2015 at 11:31 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #44
the_matrix_walker

Quote:

Matrix Walker, I meant the sheer speed perk. sorry
Ah, Sheer Speed is from DF Power ups, it's Attribute Substitution to DX for Flying Leap and Power Blow

Usually you have to pick which one, but I figured Style! covered both. Clearly DX is this guy's wheelhouse, so I'd be psyched if you wanted to extend that to other places you thought warranted it (Like Breaking Blow, or Pressure Points), but it is only in print for Flying Leap and Power Blow.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #45
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Status of characters:

Refplace: mostly done, but I think we're going to see some refining. Needs to note integration.
The hibernation spell is fine. Please note the given age isn't impossible or even unlikely, just immortality.

Matrix Walker: Well into creation, working out Inhuman template over PM and holding off on details until then.
Sheer speed needs to be on a per ability basis -- one perk for each cinematic skill. On the plus side, you can use them for many of the cinematic skills: Breaking Blow; Flying Leap; Light Walk; Lizard Climb; Throwing Art.

TopTomCat: showed lots of interest in an eastern idea, but hasn't posted for a while. I think I answered all his questions

Skullcrusher: character looks good mechanically, but needs to note his status with the supernatural (inducted, access, knowledge).

Michael Thayne: mechanically solid. needs more background info, and supernatural status.

Ransom: Mechanically looks solid. Backstory needs work (that solid backstory requirement for crusaders hasn't been met).
Allies are fine. Most sorts work, but I smile upon contacts or contact-like allies. A pile of special weapons is fine.

So, in summary, I mostly backstory and way of life: where do they work, where do they live, who are their friends, and how integrated are they in the supernatural community?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #46
Ransom

Backstory is in progress. Basic idea is that his family rose from poverty to relative affluence during his childhood. As a young adult he went into inner city ministry, working with the poor and homeless. Through incidents that I am still working out the details of, he discovered that there were ills more sinister than drugs and crime from which the city suffered. That was years ago, and by now he has both learned just how widespread the darkness is and become quite adept at ferreting it out.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
Ransom

Potential allies/contacts:

The supposed drug addict who was refereed to him years ago, who actually suffered from a curse and precipitated Manuel's discovery of the presence of the occult, now cured and grateful.
A local gang boss, generally bad news to be around, but possessed of a grudging respect for Manuel due to past services rendered.
A local government official, possibly unaware of the occult, who he knows through his humanitarian work.
A Contact Group of the homeless and/or periodically-incarcerated element of Portland.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:19 AM   #48
Refplace

Thursday (US) is my Saturday so I will beable to finish up then.
long few weeks at work, mostly 12+ hours a day butI been working on some ideas.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:14 AM   #49
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Status of characters:

Skullcrusher: character looks good mechanically, but needs to note his status with the supernatural (inducted, access, knowledge).

So, in summary, I mostly backstory and way of life: where do they work, where do they live, who are their friends, and how integrated are they in the supernatural community?
Ok need a couple days to put the finishing touches. Work has been kicking my tail the past couple days.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:48 PM   #50
the_matrix_walker

Are we going to know each other at the start of the game, or will there be a getting to know you period?

Refplace: Will your hermit be amenable to casting a useful ritual for my hunter? I'll happily buy him a grimiore for the spell that will put it under his "Safe Threshold."

Ericthered: Are you using MH, or Thaumaturgy:RPM prices for Grimiores?

Are we sticking to the MH Books for equipment, or are the Low and High Tech resources available?

Tags
ghostly movement