Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 05-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #651
RevBob

Default Re: Digital eBook reader devices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
Warning to all Foxit users: The latest automatic update installed a malware package called Search Assist. Don't use Foxit.
Please be clearer - was this a "checked by default" option, or a "no notice, here you go" mandatory addition?

A lot of free software (like Java) uses the former, which I don't consider "malware" because you're presented with a clear opportunity to opt out. The latter is, of course, much nastier.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #652
sjard
Stick in the Mud

From some searching I did, it seems to have been some third party downloads of the reader six months or so ago.

The very few reports I can find suggest it was an automatic thing. It installed something that reset the home page on IE and Chrome (no other browsers were listed as effected). Apparently it's a software for Yahoo.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #653
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBob View Post
Please be clearer - was this a "checked by default" option, or a "no notice, here you go" mandatory addition?

A lot of free software (like Java) uses the former, which I don't consider "malware" because you're presented with a clear opportunity to opt out. The latter is, of course, much nastier.
I got a notice in the task bar that an update was available for Foxit. I clicked the update button, and it went about its business. In doing so, it installed a bit of malware called Search Assist (which has every name under the sun but that in the file system and the registry). I got no option to not install it. In fact, I got no options at all. This isn't like the Ask tool bar that comes with Java if you don't take pains to clear a checkbox and that you can easily uninstall if you forget to clear the checkbox. I spent 90 minutes using Malwarebytes and a couple other tools to remove the damned thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
From some searching I did, it seems to have been some third party downloads of the reader six months or so ago.

The very few reports I can find suggest it was an automatic thing. It installed something that reset the home page on IE and Chrome (no other browsers were listed as effected). Apparently it's a software for Yahoo.
It apparently started in February. It affects IE, Firefox, and Chrome. It's not software for Yahoo. It's a virus. Malwarbytes identifies it as a trojan horse.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #654
sjard
Stick in the Mud

The Yahoo part was due to something I read where it has been identified as Yahoo Search Assist.
MIB #1457
Old 05-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #655
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
The Yahoo part was due to something I read where it has been identified as Yahoo Search Assist.
Maybe it was called that at some point. I can see where it might be the kind of thing someone wants, assuming that someone wants to surf the web exactly the way this thing lets people do that. However, its characteristics (no option to not install it, installs under a number of false names, identifies as a trojan horse to anti-virus software, and takes a significant effort to remove) makes me regard it much more as a virus than as an innocuous (if annoying to me) item such as the Ask toolbar that comes with Java downloads.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #656
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Free, I recommend Radaee, as it was the fastest in my tests (warning, they might be outdated). Paid, RepliGo is my favorite, but ezPDF I awesome too.

With file managers, I go with Total Commander, as I particularly like the split panel view and the retro aesthetics.
I looked into this and I can't seem to find RepliGo. I'm not so sure about Radaee, I have Mantano and it keeps choking on Technical Grappling.

Is there anything new to consider?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:49 AM   #657
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
I looked into this and I can't seem to find RepliGo.
It was cancelled a few months ago, sadly. I still use it as my main PDF reader on my phone. ezPDF is my backup.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #658
thorr-kan

Has anyone tried the UbiSoft ultracheap tablet?
thorr-kan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #659
panton41

I'll just mention that if you're in the market to also replace a laptop that the Surface Pro 3 is a wonderful Windows-based tablet. It gets about 6-8 hours of battery with a Haswell Core-series CPU, a decently sized drive (especially on higher-end models), plenty of RAM (4-8GB), a detachable, foldable keyboard and a MicroSD card slot. It has a 12" 2160x1440 (3x2) IPS display that might as well display a letter-sized game book at full size with crisp text. I don't use mine for much heavier of lifting than MS Office and low-end gaming so it does well.

One thing I'll say that while it might be a good purchase today, Intel is shipping Broadwell chips as I write this. I have no doubt there will be a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 and Broadwell before the end of the year.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:02 AM   #660
sjard
Stick in the Mud

On the cheap end, I picked up one of the $70 RCA 7" tablets a couple weeks ago. I'm liking it so far since it's primarily a pdf reader for game books. I'll be more than willing, once I can save up a bit more, to get the $150 10.1" version for actual at the table use. But that will be a few months.

It's not exactly the most stellar tablet, but for the price it seems viable for my needs.

Android kitkat 4.4, 1ghz processor, 8gb memory (up to 32gb additional with the micro sd slot), about 1gb ram.

It's run every game I've tried on it rather well, except Hearthstone and that only because I meet the minimum screen size; it's quite hard to read the text on it in that game.
MIB #1457

Tags
ereader, ereaders, pdf