Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #31
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Overkill on a Mozambique drill

I'm with jacobmuller on this. You make the first HT roll to see if you stay conscious. After that you make another HT roll every turn you do something other than Do Nothing. The exception has nothing to do with the first HT roll.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
But, as I've said above, my logic is due to the Exception being after the again-every-turn phrase, hence, I wonder if I place too much emphasis on the placement?
I'm fairly sure you are. The rule reads basically as "Make these rolls. Exception: Unless you Do Nothing."
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #33
Anthony

The problem is that the turn sequence looks like you should make the roll before choosing your action. Presumably that can be fixed by having the order be 'choose action, then check for consciousness; if you fail, your action does not occur'.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #34
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If you're going to kill you might as well overkill. However, once someone is no longer a threat, cops call ambulances, not put an extra round in them.
One thing that many/most law enforcement are trained to do that rarely makes it into fiction is that they cuff or otherwise restrain a downed hostile person before seeing to their medical condition. It really stood out in training films and I was one as one of several first-year LE students who asked, "Why are they handcuffing the dead guy?" Answer: "You can't confirm he's dead, or even physically incapacitated until someone checks them physically, so you need to restrain them first just in case."

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #35
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
One thing that many/most law enforcement are trained to do that rarely makes it into fiction is that they cuff or otherwise restrain a downed hostile person before seeing to their medical condition. It really stood out in training films and I was one as one of several first-year LE students who asked, "Why are they handcuffing the dead guy?" Answer: "You can't confirm he's dead, or even physically incapacitated until someone checks them physically, so you need to restrain them first just in case."
In Iceland, handcuffing a seriously wounded or dying person would probably result in extremely bad publicity.

Of course, we are a very pacifistic country. Even so, it's something to keep in mind. It's not always 'okay' to cuff people 'just in case'.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #36
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm fairly sure you are. The rule reads basically as "Make these rolls. Exception: Unless you Do Nothing."
I'm fairly sure you're correct, however, as much as I value your advice, it'll still be a personal niggle. It'd take a quorum from the forum to kill it for me - or an author/ editor to chip in:)

Forum Quorum
At present the vote stands at 1 for you Must perform the first HT check vs 1 for you can choose to Do Nothing and thereby avoid it until you feel the need to do something.

PS I thought to check Mook's examplars but realised they aren't fully applicable - the victim has no choice but to attempt action - they're all check or die situations.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 02-20-2011 at 02:13 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM   #37
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Yes - leave no enemy behind paraphrases one of those bits of advice from the Art of War. LTGB I cheesed off a GM with a fantasy character who always cut-the-grass before moving on; he wasn't a very pleasant pc but he never died, at least not permanently, yet.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 AM   #38
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In Iceland, handcuffing a seriously wounded or dying person would probably result in extremely bad publicity.

Of course, we are a very pacifistic country. Even so, it's something to keep in mind. It's not always 'okay' to cuff people 'just in case'.
Dude! Iceland has what, one murder a year? When does it come up?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #39
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Forum Quorum
At present the vote stands at 1 for you Must perform the first HT check vs 1 for you can choose to Do Nothing and thereby avoid it until you feel the need to do something.
That section is a bit poorly written, but here's how I interpret it:

If you are at 0 HP or below, and you took on action OR made a defense roll on your last turn, then you must roll HT to avoid unconsciousness at the start of your turn. If you did not make a defense roll on your last turn AND Did Nothing, then you do not have to make a HT roll to avoid unconsciousness.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #40
jacobmuller

I like that interpretation - more dynamic and common sense, which GURPS tends to be, than a black/white do/don't.
Thank you.
I was thinking along the lines of: if you were doing something when you got injured you need to roll; if you were doing nothing you only need to roll if you want to do something.

Tags
basic, combat, death, tactical shooting