Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #31
Ulairi

Default Re: Printing cardboard heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
No plans. Is this something you would support if we took the idea of a Cardboard Heroes box to Kickstarter?
I would. I'd actually think this is a Kickstarter that could be done relatively quickly and appeal to a broad group of people.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #32
Bruno

Quote:
No plans. Is this something you would support if we took the idea of a Cardboard Heroes box to Kickstarter?
Yes. Very yes. Even though I don't run many physical games any more, totally yes. I have a weak spot for these kinds of game bits :)

EDIT: I popped up a thread on other gribbly bits that seem to sell well for other fantasy games that I would be all over like stink on a skunk.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...52#post2125052

Last edited by Bruno; 09-25-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #33
Colarmel

I don't love the art of cardboard heroes. I much prefer something closer to Printable Heroes(https://www.patreon.com/PrintableHeroes), although I no longer patronize him because he's super into the D&D niche.

That said. I'd still likely back more pieces at the quality of the ones in the dfrpg box.

Last edited by Colarmel; 09-25-2017 at 09:20 AM. Reason: linking printable heroes
Colarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #34
MiB1213

Quote:
Seems that the masses would support such a campaign. I hope it is taken into consideration. :)
Old 09-25-2017, 10:52 AM   #35
Bruno

For folks looking to print and compose their own cardboard heroes in heavy stock, there's products like this, which also come with bases (if you only bought PDFs, that's handy).

The bases aren't hexagonal of course, and frankly that's pretty expensive because you can only buy them in small batches of 12. But it's an option and lets you do custom things for special NPCs or for the PCs.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #36
Proteus

Quote:
Yes, absolutely! (Particularly, as others have noted, if backers had access to PDF versions.)

Fantasy would, obviously, be the likely best seller.

Cliffhangers / Steampunk would seem like a worthy follow-on set (and could probably use the Fantasy monsters in-genre). Typical pulp adversaries like Nazis, gangsters, lost Romans, aborigines, cavemen, velociraptors, etc. would also offer value outside the designated time period.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #37
Tom H.

I really wish that I could get cardboard heroes in GURPS scale.

The figure images are too small to truly represent the tactics on a combat map.

For example, a human barbarian is printed on a cardboard piece that is 1.5" in height. GURPS scale would require at least a 2" tall piece.

Such a scale would then require the image to stretch the length of the piece down to the base extending past the caption.

Then the artwork at the feet would be hidden unless the hexagon bases were transparent.

It would also be smart to allow the width of the cardboard to stretch a bit further out toward the vertices of the hexagon so you could capture any bulky poses or large shoulders.

It may have been the case that the original cardboard heroes and maps wanted to be compatible with D&D scale, but there is no lack of miniature support for that game.

It is true that actual GURPS scale figures moving among 1" hexes would appear awkward and distorted at first.

However, I really want my accessories to immerse me within the mechanics of the game I have chosen to support as much as possible.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #38
kjamma4

I always thought it would be cool if someone made standees made like the old Pirates of the Spanish Main ships - punch them out and slot them on a cross base so they stand up.

They wouldn't have to be collectible but you could have separate packs for different factions - Elves, Orcs, Dwarves, Green Berets, FBI, etc.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #39
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
I really wish that I could get cardboard heroes in GURPS scale.

The figure images are too small to truly represent the tactics on a combat map.

For example, a human barbarian is printed on a cardboard piece that is 1.5" in height. GURPS scale would require at least a 2" tall piece.
One of my ongoing (if minor) gripes with GURPS is that figure scale is not equal to ground scale. I know this isn't a particular concern for miniature war-gamers, who are well used to it, but I regularly find it distracting.

I picked up a remaindered 16mm vinyl hex grid, which more or less solves the ground scale problem when using regular 30mm figures, though it can feel a bit cramped.

54mm miniatures are too expensive and limited in variety, but I've considered just blowing up Cardboard Heroes or similar figures and going with it on the standard 1" hexgrid.

I've occasionally amused my spouse by contemplating buying/making a 2" hexgrid and running games using her old Star Wars action figures....

P.S. Yes, I know one reason for the different scales is to allow two figures to fit into a single hex for close combat. I'd give that up in a heartbeat (and move close combatants off the field, with a marker representing the two figures) for a consistent scale. But I realize my opinion is in the minority, so I make do.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:17 PM   #40
Tom H.

Yes, there are some issues to be ironed out.

I was enjoying this related hot thread Other tactile game bits for DFRPG.

Over there, there was talk about introducing more multi-hex figures. Now especially if they are of the flat variety as seen on p. 8 of Monsters, they will tend toward accurately matching the 1" hex combat map scale. When mixed with the existing cardboard heroes, the scale inconsistencies will be harder to ignore.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardboard heroes, dungeon fantasy, print on demand