Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #1
oneofmanynameless

Default [Powers] Why is Flash all or nothing?

In powers, on page 140, they model a blinding flash of light as an affliction which causes blindness in an area of effect but is resistible. Realistically, shouldn't this potentially cause vision penalties for a little bit even if you succeed to resist? (I'm basing this on how flashbang's usually mess up your vision even if they don't fully blind you.)

If you wanted this effect, how would you add it?
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Powers] Why is Flash all or nothing?

Use a higher level of Affliction, Switch the Blindness to a secondary effect, and make the primary effect an added disadvantage of Bad Sight or what have you.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Mateus

This is my build.

LIGHT [65/13]: Similar to spell Lesser Light, but completely illuminate an area up to 8m radius, which can generate shadows in an area of up to 24m radius. This version of the spell lasts up to 5 hours and the caster has full control over the degree of lighting he want. He may choose to reducing darkness penalties in the affected area, reduce it in only one level or deny them completely. At the time of the spell Light is cast, the caster can choose to make the light emanating cause blindness in everyone that look directly to the area affected by the spell Light. The source of the effect is imperceptible. All those who look directly at the Light spell focus must make a Quick Contest between their HT and the Will of the caster or go blind for 1 minute.

Affliction 1 (Advantage: Illumination1+10% / Area Effect2+100% / Extended Duration5+100% / Fixed Duration+0% / Link: Affliction+20% / No Signature: Undetectable+25% / Selectivity+10% / Variable+5% / PM-10% / Costs 1FP-5% / Environmental: Spectres Or Spirits-10% / Nuisance Effect: Backlash Blindness On a Critical Failure-10% / Nuisance Effect: Light Created Looks Phantasmagorical-5%) + Affliction 1 (Disadvantage: Blindness+50% / Fixed Duration+0% / Link: Affliction+20% / No Signature: Undetectable+25% / Sense-Based: Vision+150% / PM-10% / Act: Only When Illumination Is Active-10% / Reduced Duration2-10%).

Last edited by Mateus; 03-23-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Mateus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Mateus

In the case you got curious, this is the build of the Lesser Light

LESSER LIGHT [14/3]: Affliction 1 (Advantage: Illumination1+10% / Extended Duration2+40% / Fixed Duration+0% / No Signature: Undetectable+25% / PM-10% / Costs 1FP-5% / Environmental: Spectres Or Spirits-10% / Nuisance Effect: Backlash Blindness On a Critical Failure-10% / Nuisance Effect: Light Created Looks Phantasmagorical-5%).
Old 03-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofmanynameless View Post
In powers, on page 140, they model a blinding flash of light as an affliction which causes blindness in an area of effect but is resistible. Realistically, shouldn't this potentially cause vision penalties for a little bit even if you succeed to resist? (I'm basing this on how flashbang's usually mess up your vision even if they don't fully blind you.)

If you wanted this effect, how would you add it?
Affliction with a linked Obscure for the Vision penalties.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote