Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #291
mook

Default Re: Game Geekery - GURPS Content Posts

Hello, and welcome to yet another installment of "handy GURPS stuff I made for my own games but you might find useful too"!

Today's post is a new formatting of some handy info for GURPS players, especially newcomers, things like the maneuvers, combat options, effects of HP/FP loss, range and hit location penalties... the usual suspects. I've tried to make it clearer, more streamlined, and a lot easier to follow, with a mind to including it as part of all my convention pre-gen packets from now on.

Let me know what you think, and keep on GURPSin' out there.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #292
mook

Howdy, Folks!

The form-fillable PDF of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Character Sheet from a couple weeks ago proved to be so popular (800+ downloads in 14 days) that I heeded requests to also make the DFRPG Spell Sheet and Monster, Traps, Diseases/Poisons Sheet fillable as well. You can download all three from this week's post.

Also, as a quick aside, I have continued tweaking about with the excellent Fantasy Grounds program and its fan-made GURPS ruleset. I'm hoping to have a Halloween one-shot ready to GM online by the end of October -- fingers crossed!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #293
mook

Greetings, GURPSers,

Just a quick update to let you know what I've been so feverishly working on -- I'm getting ready to run my first-ever Fantasy Grounds GURPS game online next weekend! It's an Old West/Horror one-shot for Halloween, and seems to be shaping up nicely. Still a lot of prep work to be done (and Fantasy Grounds to learn), but you can get a peek at the four pre-gen PCs and the current state of my Fantasy Grounds setup in the post.

If this game goes well, I can hopefully start GMing a little more frequently by expanding online beyond my usual face-to-face convention games. It may also give me the opportunity to post more videos showing GURPS running within the Fantasy Grounds environment.

Wish me luck on the inaugural game! I'm really hoping for a smooth outing. I'd also love to hear your thoughts on GURPSing online, whether with Fantasy Grounds or otherwise. Is this something you'd like to see more of?

For now, I fade again into the shadows of game prep...
Old 10-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #294
mook

Even more excellent news for the GURPS community! On the heels of this year's successful print-on-demand titles *and* the well-received Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set, we now also have this announcement from Ronnke, the author of the unofficial GURPS ruleset for Fantasy Grounds:

"I’ve had to keep this quiet for a long time, but can now finally announce it. For the past few months SJG has been looking at what we’ve been doing with the GURPS ruleset and they really like it. They have granted me permission to continue development which also includes features like automation. Probably even more exciting is, SJG will over the next couple of months monitor the interest in GURPS on Fantasy Grounds. If sufficient, they will look at officially licencing which means we may start seeing official GURPS content made available.

Look out for a Daily Illuminator article about it."

That's right, folks -- imagine a world where Fantasy Grounds has an official license for GURPS. It could happen! As awesome as the current fan ruleset is, this could allow it to be even better. And don't even get me started about the possibility of a licensed FG GURPS Basic Set (especially after creating four PCs last week and manually copying and pasting dozens of skill and trait descriptions to their sheets).

I have a few more thoughts about it in this week's Game Geekery post, but the bottom line is this: SJG needs to see how much of an actual GURPS community there is using Fantasy Grounds for their games. So if that's you, or someone you know, or you've always wanted to give it a try -- now is the time to stand up and be counted.

Run GURPS/FG games. Talk about them and spread the word. Post videos if you've got 'em. If we can show there's enough interest and enough of a market for it to be worth their while, official GURPS support for Fantasy Grounds could be on the horizon.

:: cue Louis Armstrong ::

## I see trees of green, red roses too... ##
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #295
Kalzazz

Fantasy Grounds seems interesting and all, but your post definitely makes it sound like it's not for me . . . . I don't really do prep work, so if it needs all this it won't work for me
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #296
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Fantasy Grounds seems interesting and all, but your post definitely makes it sound like it's not for me . . . . I don't really do prep work, so if it needs all this it won't work for me
You'll note everything I mentioned about prep came under, "To fully leverage the power of using Fantasy Grounds..."

If you only need a virtual tabletop like Fantasy Grounds to have a shared online space with the players... you probably don't need a virtual tabletop at all. Google Hangouts would more than cover a shared meeting space.

But generally, the target market for a VTT wants to share maps, share pictures, allow for automated dice rolling of skills/damage/attribute checks, etc. Naturally, in order to do that, you need to actually put the maps and pictures and character data in. :)
Old 10-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #297
Refplace

Oh this is cool. My GM has worked with both but prefer Roll20 but this may be of interest to him.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #298
Kalzazz

I'm really happy with IRC, but now that I've heard of it will need to check into Google hangouts
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 03:49 PM   #299
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook for Ronnke View Post
"I’ve had to keep this quiet for a long time, but can now finally announce it. For the past few months SJG has been looking at what we’ve been doing with the GURPS ruleset and they really like it...
Did this start in June, perchance?
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #300
mook

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Did this start in June, perchance?
Not really sure... did something else happen in June to cause you to ask?

Tags
blog, blogs