Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
Leonidas
Banned

Default Re: Using ODE and Minis in the same scenario

I ordered stuff and I will order more. I am not totally sold on the minis, though. Mainly for the stacking issue. I think minis are great for playing the basic scenarios on the Ogre map. When it cones to stacking on GEV map, I am worried. All the Ogres cound be minis, no problem. Fitting 5 heavy tanks in the sane hex is a problem and will not look good. Additionally, counters have stats. Mah, I do not know really if it is a good idea to use minis on gev maps. Maybe it would be better to use minis on full terrain scenarios. As soon as ks mini set 1 arrives here in Italy, I will let you know.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #22
Mack_JB

This is why we need really nice neoprene style playmats of the basic Ogre and GEV maps, with say, nice 4" hexes ....
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:14 PM   #23
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
This is why we need really nice neoprene style playmats of the basic Ogre and GEV maps, with say, nice 4" hexes ....
The only killer factor there is that it makes a single GEV mapsheet 6'4" by 7'4"...not gonna get a lot of map at that scale.

...as badly as I want to make map at that scale. Augh, dilemmas!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #24
Ashley

Which is why, 2 inch hexes are a workable, pragmatic compromise. Given what you can manage on the cardboard maps is often good enough, the 2 inch hex will cope with all but the edge cases e.g.: five Doppelsoldners in one hex, an edge case if I ever saw one.

I still think, in fact know, that it's possible to have a miniatures game that doesn't use hexes, but the rules would not be a simple port of the basic OGRE/GEV set to do so, as it requires using a different set of tools.

Blogs:
http://panther6actual.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 AM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
I still think, in fact know, that it's possible to have a miniatures game that doesn't use hexes, but the rules would not be a simple port of the basic OGRE/GEV set to do so, as it requires using a different set of tools.
Which is a likely primary reason for the Ogre Miniatures rewrite.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #26
Mack_JB

My suggested 4" hex size was a bit of a wink and a nod ... 2" hexes would be perfect, and I'd buy those gladly.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #27
Macunaima

Just use a mini on top of however many counters you need to stack. Problem solved.

If you want something more elaborate, get some inch-wide poker chips, paint them black and white and glue classic counter graphics on top of them. This also allows you a nice option for hidden units.
Macunaima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macunaima View Post
Just use a mini on top of however many counters you need to stack. Problem solved.

If you want something more elaborate, get some inch-wide poker chips, paint them black and white and glue classic counter graphics on top of them. This also allows you a nice option for hidden units.
For Ogre this works and thank you for the suggestion but in ODE where the stacking can get up to 5 units mixed this doesn't solve the problem.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #29
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
For Ogre this works and thank you for the suggestion but in ODE where the stacking can get up to 5 units mixed this doesn't solve the problem.
Makes me wonder how many colors poker chips come in. If each unit type can have its own color...it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing [far from it, IMO], but in theory it could be functional.

To take it to a logical extreme...it leaves me wondering [at least for the less-dense hexes, something like Heavy tanks, Light GEVs and Light Tanks if pill bases drilled for flight pegs would be workable. Put the mini on one base, then cut / glue / insert the pegs in such a way that they stack on one another. A mini with 3 bases (counting the one it's permanently mounted to) = a stack of 3. It still runs into the issue of "Too many minis, not enough hex", but not always as badly since it's sized to the figure.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #30
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
Makes me wonder how many colors poker chips come in. If each unit type can have its own color...it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing [far from it, IMO], but in theory it could be functional.

To take it to a logical extreme...it leaves me wondering [at least for the less-dense hexes, something like Heavy tanks, Light GEVs and Light Tanks if pill bases drilled for flight pegs would be workable. Put the mini on one base, then cut / glue / insert the pegs in such a way that they stack on one another. A mini with 3 bases (counting the one it's permanently mounted to) = a stack of 3. It still runs into the issue of "Too many minis, not enough hex", but not always as badly since it's sized to the figure.
Andy ole buddy ole pal...you must have a lot of time, patience and skill, me I'm gonna take the road most travelled for now and either just use the Ogre rules for no stacking or go back to my ODE...best of both worlds...now if Ican just make the time to create Ghost Army ODE counters....lol
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote