Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2016, 03:50 PM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Giving mental disadvantages as results of behaviour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Well, the Honesty advantage says that you get to make a self-control roll if there is a “need” to break the law.
Legalistic just says "To break the law out-right...". Obviously full Honesty requires more justification, but since most GURPS campaigns (I strongly suspect all, but can't say for certain) actually aren't slice-of-life games that worry about what you watch or read for entertainment, adventuring reasons usually are sufficient justification.
Quote:
It is not at all clear that you get to make such a roll for a trivial reason such as poker with your friends.
Social gambling is legal in many places (and times). Also, again this is (probably) a situation that never actually comes up in games about adventure fiction genres.

Quote:
I'm not trying to say that the bystander effect won't be reduced when the observers have good information about what is happening or that people in crowds lack empathy. People in the crowd who don't help might very well feel bad about it. However empathy is not the only reason people help each other (not wanting to get a bad reputation another reason) and following the crowd is a behavior that often comes naturally. For some people the thought of standing out by making a different decision than the crowd around you like that can even seem intimidating.
Well then how does this relate to the OP? Ordinary people can want to help, do nothing to help and feel terrible about it later (and I suspect probably do).

Quote:
Well, while I agree that it would be overly pedantic to require that you turn yourself in for a trivial crime that most likely won't result in a conviction even with your confession, what is left is still enough to make the disadvantage pretty much unplayable for many kinds of games.
It's inappropriate in games where the the PCs are expected to be criminals, yes.
Quote:
It would for example be very hard to deal with the Honesty disadvantage in many kinds of Monster Hunter games.
It's present on eight of the ten templates in Champions. This thread (especially this post and this one) may be enlightening (or not; I'm still not sure what I think about it).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character development, disadvantage, mental disadvantage