Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 02-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
cptbutton

Default Wound Penalties?

I looked through the core book, but didn't see any. Are there wound penalties in IN besides the 1 turn stun for 25%+ damage?

Do Celestials feel pain when their vessels are damaged?
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Captain Midnight

Default Re: Wound Penalties?

I never saw any defined penalties anywhere. For flavor reasons, I'm sure they have some sort of pain receptors, but I've always played it as strictly informative, almost like the celestial is in a videogame.
Captain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
naraht

So Celestials are able to attack and defend at exactly the same level if they are at full Body hits than if they are one good smack from Trauma?
naraht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
JCurwen3

I don't know if it helps, but although some templates in GURPS: In Nomine got High Pain Threshold (Malakim, Djinn, amongst others), it was only a handful, and none got Immunity to Pain.

On the other hand, I've personally thought about running In Nomine with GURPS (but 4th Ed), and I'd probably beef up most if not all celestials, mostly so as to draw a distinction between them and otherwise more powerful humans. I'd probably give them all High Pain Threshold, maybe even Immunity to Pain (or maybe the ones that are suggested in GURPS: In Nomine to have High Pain Threshold I'd give Immunity to Pain, and everyone else High Pain Threshold). Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
JCD

As an in game, flavor aspect, and to help define the differences between a vessel and a mere human, I had a couple of in game refinements.

Essentially, whatever biochemical processes which caused 'shock' had a built in limiter in vessels. The average punch in the face which would stun a man can't overcome the autonomic control a Celestial has over his body. The pain receptors have transmission limits.

This has all kinds of 'rationalizations' for Celestials.

Doesn't sleep: Their spiritual element doesn't require such a thing so that is part of being Celestial, though Undead feel the lack keenly as a desire for surcease.

Temperature Tolerance: There is no place on Earth that a vessel can't function. A vessel can bump up the blood flow to the skin to cool or the ATP conversion of his body to increase body heat to deal with the 'mild' temperature deviations on Earth.

Increased healing: small shifts in the biochemistry to increase by a factor the healing. Not Wolverine healing, but 'maximized human' healing.

Lack of Shock and High Body Points: Slightly denser bones, slightly more elastic skin, slightly denser muscle fibers, capillaries and veins which 'pinch off' more efficiently to restrict blood loss. None of them outside of human breadth, but add all these efficiencies up, and suddenly shooting a Celestial in the liver is a lot less fatal. Heart, brain, arteries are still pretty bad for them though.

Now, SOME gamers use an even more extreme model to explain this. They think a vessel is a robot suit with a Soul in the control booth, like the dead alien in Men In Black or the giant robots in Pacific Rim. And when you talk about high strength, maxed out vessels, that might be the best way to go.

But according to the rules, no, Celestials don't have wound penalties. They are the 'heros'. Penalties are for mooks.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Phoenix42

Hmm, just a quick note:

In the Gurps IN setting, the Malakim background blurb includes a Malakite torturing a demon. So I always assumed that, given the right amount (and use) of damage, celestials are succeptible to pain and its effects as everyone else. Except that, given their superior characteristics, it usually takes far, far more to reach the same effects as it would in a human. Of course, other celestials, like Malakites, can judge this pretty well...
Phoenix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix42 View Post
Hmm, just a quick note:

In the Gurps IN setting, the Malakim background blurb includes a Malakite torturing a demon. So I always assumed that, given the right amount (and use) of damage, celestials are succeptible to pain and its effects as everyone else. Except that, given their superior characteristics, it usually takes far, far more to reach the same effects as it would in a human. Of course, other celestials, like Malakites, can judge this pretty well...
Pain yes. And at a certain point (obviously 25% of body) it surpasses even a Celestials ability to dampen the agony.

But that's the thing about torture. You got ALL DAY and a person who can actually survive the more extreme things that sadists only wish they could do.

Is it any wonder Angels fetch a high price in Hell?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
cptbutton

Now I am thinking that there should be a Corporeal Discord: Low Pain Threshold.

Edit:
Level 1 - Stun threshold 20%+
Level 2 - Stun threshold 15%+
Level 3 - Stun threshold 10%+
Level 4 - Stun threshold 5%+
Level 5 - Stun threshold 1+ Body hits
Level 6 - Anything to increase pain of existing wounds causes stunning. (Using an injured limb, non-damaging blows to the wound area, etc.)

Last edited by cptbutton; 02-16-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Add proposed mechanics
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat, damage, stun, wound penalty