Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #91
Lord Twig

Default Re: TFT Helper - beta test of app

Hopefully you get the combat log I sent. Does your email start with Andrew? And is the punctuation a period?

I know you want to protect your address, but it isn't 100% clear what it is from your description. Hopefully I got it right.

And the issue was that I simultaneously won and lost against the wizard. I think he was supposed to kill me first with a sleep spell, but somehow I still got a hit on him and killed him.
Lord Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #92
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frumious View Post
I'm having font issues on the some of the character sheets on the android version. Do you want a detailed reply here with screenshots and phone info, or should I send them somewhere else?

If you look at Wulf, for example, his weapons overwrite each other in the 'play character' or 'edit character' screens.
Argh, that one again. I though I had it. Those screen shots are only interesting to me, so email it. Be sure to mention the device, because that's critical for this problem. Also, if you go to the About TFT Helper screen you'll see your screen dimensions, as perceived by the app, in blue on the right. Those numbers would be helpful!

Thank you!
andreww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:23 AM   #93
andreww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Twig View Post
Hopefully you get the combat log I sent. Does your email start with Andrew? And is the punctuation a period?

I know you want to protect your address, but it isn't 100% clear what it is from your description. Hopefully I got it right.

And the issue was that I simultaneously won and lost against the wizard. I think he was supposed to kill me first with a sleep spell, but somehow I still got a hit on him and killed him.
I did get the combat log, and thanks for giving it context. I know just where to look for this.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:28 AM   #94
andreww

EXTRA NOTE:

One of the first things the app does at startup is figure out if it's on a phone or tablet and rearrange things accordingly. I'm not certain this is always working. After all, I don't have access to all the devices out there. If you have an unusual device and things don't seem to be formatted correctly definitely let me know, and also mention the device on which you observed the awfulness.

If you hop over to the About TFT Helper screen you will see, in blue, on the right, the dimensions of your screen as TFT Helper believes them to be. This, along with the device type, is extremely helpful to me.

*AND*

if you tap the blue dimensions the app will switch from phone to tablet mode. This is a beta-only feature for troubleshooting, and switching while the app is running may not work perfectly, but it may help us nail this down.

Don't post spoilers, but if you make it out feel free to boast!
Old 06-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #95
FrankB

Arena Combat - Jon of The Isles vs Flavius. Jon choosing a Shield Rush option - "Runtime:13240#Uncaught ReferenceError: requiredDice is not defined
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #96
Fuhrmanator

• text looks great on Android Samsung Galaxy S9 with increased font size
  • too many typos to mention, spell checking is integrated into modern IDEs
  • falling causes damage, but dx isn't adjusted until combat if St at 3 or less. you probably should make adjdx a dynamic attribute that changes based on the state, rather than setting it after each attack. in software design it's called "ask don't tell"
  • using a bow and a sword I sometimes find I'm attacking with bare hands, after dropping bow to switch to sword. something is wrong in the logic.
  • when an enemy rolls 18 he only drops his weapon rather than breaking it
  • P206, the 500 never shows up in inventory
  • 205, Jared is be a problem
  • When you clone a character and want to change its name, it's not possible to get a cursor in the editor. The entire name is selected and the only option is to Cut (edit menu) and type a new name. Not intuitive.
  • P77, I could not do a shield rush and I'm not sure why
  • Sha-ken 17 roll bug:
    Quote:
    Shorty throws Sha-ken at Disguised watchman. Your adjDX is 13. The range penalty for 1 yards is -1. You get +2 for your Thrown Weapons talent. -3 to DX because your remaining ST is 3 or less. The adjustment for throwing 3 sha-ken at once is -2 You need 9 or less to hit...
    ⚁*⚄*⚄* You rolled 12, a miss.

⚅*⚁*⚀* You rolled 9, a hit!
    You roll 1d-2 for damage... ⚀*-2=-1 for a total of 0.
    Disguised watchman takes no damage.
    ⚅*⚅*⚄* You rolled 17, That roll while fighting barehanded means you have injured yourself.
    You take ⚁ 2 points of damage.

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 06-05-2019 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added bug
Fuhrmanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #97
Fuhrmanator

More bugs:

I couldn't attack with a whip ever, even when distance was 3-5 yards. It says enemy is not adjacent when action comes up.

I threw three sha-ken, had two hit, doing 2 and 4 in the same round, yet no dx penalty appears for the enemy. Again, adjdx must be dynamic and you must keep track of damage received in the same round.

Edit: I also want to say that the colored dice in the display are cool. However, on my Samsung Galaxy S9 One UI the yellow die is hard to read, mainly because the white pips don't have enough contrast when the font is small.

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 06-06-2019 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Added info about dice
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #98
Allensh

No beta test for me appparently :(
Allensh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #99
Fuhrmanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmanator View Post
More bugs:
Sorry to pile on:

When a character has a dx penalty of -2 due to 5+ injury, defending on the subsequent round works, but the intention does not work. The penalty seems to stick until the figure attacks. See screenshot.

Here's another example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatlog
Philo2 attacks Giant spider. Your adjDX is 11. You need 11 or less to hit...
⚄*⚃*⚅* You rolled 15, a miss.

Giant spider attacks Philo2. Their adjDX is 10, so they need 10 to hit: ⚂*⚄*⚁*... the roll is 10.
The spider's bite does only one point of damage, but you need to make a 4 die saving throw for the poison...⚁*⚅*⚃*⚅*...the roll is 18, the poison burns inside you for 2 dice of damage... ⚃*⚁*6 points of damage.
Taking 5 or more points of damage means your next DX roll will be at -2.
ST of 3 or less means you are at -3 DX from here on.

Start of Turn 3
Initiative Phase
Giant spider is 1 yard away.
Philo2 rolled a ⚀* and opponent rolled ⚅*, so opponents will move first.

Movement Phase
Giant spider is engaged.
Philo2 holds.

Action Phase:
Giant spider attacks Philo2. Their adjDX is 10, so they need 10 to hit: You are defending so your attacker rolls an extra die, ⚄*⚅*⚁*⚃*... the roll is 17.
A miss.

Start of Turn 4
Initiative Phase
Giant spider is 1 yard away.
Philo2 rolled a ⚃* and opponent rolled ⚄*, so opponents will move first.

Movement Phase
Giant spider is engaged.
Philo2 holds.

Action Phase:
Your adjDX for this attack will be 6.

Giant spider attacks Philo2. Their adjDX is 10, so they need 10 to hit: ⚅*⚅*⚅*... the roll is 18.
The 18 means Giant spider injured itself, taking 4 points of damage! A miss.
Philo2 attacks Giant spider. Your adjDX is 11. -2 to DX for your previous injury. -3 to DX because your remaining ST is 3 or less. You need 6 or less to hit...
⚂*⚄*⚁* You rolled 10, a miss.

=======================
Philo2
ST:13
Injury: 10

DX:11 adjDX:11
Fatigue: 0

IQ:8 MA:12
Remaining ST: 3

XP earned: 30

Morningstar (2d+1) and Spiked Shield with no armor
Talents: Ax/Mace, Shield, Running, Area Knowledge, Swimming, Sex Appeal

Last edited by Fuhrmanator; 06-06-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Combat log
Old 06-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #100
andreww

Quick responses:

Thanks everyone for putting in the time it takes to find these things!

requiredDice is too defined! I'll have to dig into that.

"modern IDEs" sure, but I'm using punch cards. It's just how I learned.

As for the dumb yellow die with white pips, that story is too dull for the Designer's Notes article, so let me tell it here...

The little dice in the adventure were not part of the original design. But as I first played through combat I thought "You need a 10 or less and you rolled a 12" was not very fun or satisfying. We all know that feeling when we miss a roll. Searching for an easy way to make this better I checked for unicode dice faces, and sure enough there was a set (unicode has lots of crazy stuff in it, let me tell you). So all I had to do was 9655+dieRoll and I could put the individual rolls into the narrative! I liked it and it didn't slow combat down like having an animation for each roll. It was easy. It looked great in both emulators, it looked great on iOS. Then I ran it on Android and tasted the rainbow. I didn't know then and don't know now what Android versions/devices do and don't have the non-standard colored dice.

Let's be clear: every unicode reference shows white dice with black pips. But some slack-jawed yahoo at Google decided Android would have colored dice, including the patently useless yellow with white pips.

I don't want to cut the little dice out of combat. The next easiest alternative is to put some little PNGs in there with proper dice. Maybe I could make them a tad bigger and give you choice of colors. But so far there have been more pressing concerns.

So that's my almost-an-apology to the Android folks.