Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
vierasmarius

Default Delayed FP Loss

Hey all. I was thinking about a trait concept, a character who can put off the need to sleep for a while, but still "accumulates" the normal FP loss. When he chooses to sleep the FP loss all hits him at once. This means he can go for quite a while without sleep, but pushing himself for too long (more than 2 days for a HT 10 individual) can be physically damaging, and potentially lethal (5.5 days or more) as the excess FP loss gets transferred to HP. And of course the FP loss is counted as missed sleep, requiring 7+FP hours of uninterrupted sleep to recover. There would of course need to be a limit to how long the sleep can be delayed, perhaps a flat 2 or 3 times FP total, or by having the character still roll death checks for the delayed HP damage, giving the possibility that he'll just drop dead at some point.

The obvious way to build this is as a limited version of Doesn't Sleep. However, it also put me in mind of a character who can do the same with other forms of fatigue loss, such as Starvation and Dehydration (Doesn't Eat / Drink) or physical exertion (Indefatigable). What sort of limitation value would be appropriate for this?
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Delayed FP Loss

I'd just go with additional FP pool. Some of them (from HT) would be general and another part (extra ones) would be limited.

Or borrow Oxygen Storage under the hood mechanics from Doesn't Breath and apply it to Doesn't Sleep. But this is more complicated because you'll have to cover all types of hazards with appropriate advantage.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Refplace

You could also buy ER with Special Recharge (full nights Sleep) Then take lost sleep FP out of that.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
vierasmarius

Hmm. What I'm envisioning wouldn't reduce the FP loss at all, just allow the character to delay it and deal with it later. He still loses the same amount of FP, and has no extra FP to soak it with. I suppose I could build it as an Energy Reserve with a Backlash that drains the character of FP equal to the amount of ER used. The ER could only be spent on lost sleep, and only recharged by sleeping. If that's enough for -80%, it could get ER 20 down to 12 cp, which is about the right range for this trait (compared to Doesn't Sleep [20]).

It does feels a bit cludgy. I guess I could do basically the same with Doesn't Sleep itself, giving it a Maximum Duration (though it would be more than 12 hours, thus -0%) and Backlash. Not sure if that's worth -40% though...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Gnomasz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
It does feels a bit cludgy. I guess I could do basically the same with Doesn't Sleep itself, giving it a Maximum Duration (though it would be more than 12 hours, thus -0%) and Backlash. Not sure if that's worth -40% though...
IMHO it may be worth even -50%, like weakest Oxygen Storage (your idea seems harsher in effects, but works without preparation).
Gnomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
IMHO it may be worth even -50%, like weakest Oxygen Storage (your idea seems harsher in effects, but works without preparation).
Even more, I'd think. Having a different sleep cycle, but still needing the same amount of sleep overall, would just be a Feature. Being able to defer sleep, while still accumulating the fatigue 'virtually', is a fairly minor benefit. You might be better off just making it a new advantage.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Even more, I'd think. Having a different sleep cycle, but still needing the same amount of sleep overall, would just be a Feature. Being able to defer sleep, while still accumulating the fatigue 'virtually', is a fairly minor benefit. You might be better off just making it a new advantage.
Yeah, given that "Sleeps x hours every y days" is a feature as long as amounts to 8 hours a day, the only thing here that's worth points is the ability to control it. This is probably just an exotic perk.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, given that "Sleeps x hours every y days" is a feature as long as amounts to 8 hours a day, the only thing here that's worth points is the ability to control it. This is probably just an exotic perk.
This response triggered a memory about replying to a similar question before. Took me a while to find it, but here is that post from four years ago.

Calling it an actual Perk is not a big difference, although I have an emotional attachment to my "Super Perk" idea :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
This response triggered a memory about replying to a similar question before. Took me a while to find it, but here is that post from four years ago.

Calling it an actual Perk is not a big difference, although I have an emotional attachment to my "Super Perk" idea :)
That seems reasonable.

What about my other ideas, for similar traits that allow the delay of fatigue loss from starvation or exertion? Mostly that just means that the character can delay the penalties associated with low and negative FP (and the corresponding HP loss) until he reaches X total loss (I'd set probably it at twice total FP). Is that likewise no more than a perk? It feels a bit more useful than that, though still in the below-five-cp range.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
There are quite a few exotic perks that are just better than mundane ones already. I think the restricted access probably counts for something.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fatigue, sleep