Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Horse sleep patterns

I'm statting up centaurs in my setting, I'd like to duplicate a horse's sleep patterns. Specifically, a horse needs only about 2 1/2 hours of sleep a day, and usually in short standing naps of about 15 minutes. Every few days, it needs to lie down for a deeper sleep of an hour or two, needing to reach REM sleep.

Obviously, they should have Less Sleep (about 3 hours a day, average). For the ability to sleep standing up and in short bursts, does a Perk (Power Naps) sound about right?
Old 04-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Horse sleep patterns

I'm not particularly familiar with horse sleep cycles. If the horse can sleep "whenever its convenient" as long as it adds up to 2.5 hrs it's definitely a perk, sounds like a variation on Deep Sleeper. If the horse needs to sleep on a set schedule that just happens to be broken up into short naps ("naps from 4:30 to 4:45 AM, from 8 to 8:15 AM, lies down from 12:45 to 1:45 PM" etc) I'd call it a 0 point feature.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
zylosan

In my personnal experience most horse nap when ever they have a chance and nothing interesting is going on.

Along the same lines I could see one of those oh so popular bunny biomod creatures as having a similar sleeping style. Dont think I have ever seen my bunny sleep for more than 20 minutes at a time.
zylosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
ClayDowling

My understanding is that horses are the opposite of deep sleepers. Probably a natural reaction to the fact that people occasionally throw a halter and saddle on them.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I'm statting up centaurs in my setting, I'd like to duplicate a horse's sleep patterns. Specifically, a horse needs only about 2 1/2 hours of sleep a day, and usually in short standing naps of about 15 minutes. Every few days, it needs to lie down for a deeper sleep of an hour or two, needing to reach REM sleep.

Obviously, they should have Less Sleep (about 3 hours a day, average). For the ability to sleep standing up and in short bursts, does a Perk (Power Naps) sound about right?
I think B's right about the flexible schedule being a Perk. I remember a similar sleeping scheme being proposed before, and Perk seemed to be a consensus opinion then. For the reduced sleep, remember that, btb, Less Sleep is limited to four levels. I usually charge 3 pts/lvl after the fourth, to balance with Doesn't Sleep.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Phaelen Bleux
World Traveler in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
My understanding is that horses are the opposite of deep sleepers. Probably a natural reaction to the fact that people occasionally throw a halter and saddle on them.
Not to be picky, but anything that doesn't kill them doesn't result in natural selection.

http://aerodrome.hamish.tripod.com
Phaelen Bleux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaelen Bleux View Post
Not to be picky, but anything that doesn't kill them doesn't result in natural selection.
True, but there's also unnatural selection. Horses in captivity often get bred, or not, based on desirable characteristics.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Bruno

Quote:
The wild horses who were jumped by predators while sleeping (including hungry anthropoids) definitely had a reason to sleep shallowly.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Danukian

Quote:
Horses that escape a saddle escape Gelding too...
Old 04-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The wild horses who were jumped by predators while sleeping (including hungry anthropoids) definitely had a reason to sleep shallowly.
Yup, sleeping deeply gets you eaten by cave lions and cro-mags if you're a would-be ancestor of modern domestic horses.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centaur, horse, sleep