Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Luxpulcher

Default Concept into mechanics: Superhuman speed(low level "speedstry")

Greetings everyone.

Okay, the question is relatively simple, though the answer seems a bit elusive so far.
Let us translate a concept into GURPS 4E mechanics(drawing solely from RAW, if at all possible).

Say a character is, without absolute exactitude, all around some 3-5 times faster than a relatively regular/average person; That is to say, this character can run and cover distances that much faster, it can perceive things happening at roughly that proportion, it has reflexes that reflect as much and it can generally perform tasks at that rate.

To give practical examples:
This character would run the distance a proportionally similar "regular" person did in 33-20% of the time.
In a boxing match, this character would not only punch 3-5 times as often, but each individual punch would come at equally faster proportion as that of a regular person's and would therefore be that much harder to avoid, likewise it would perceive punches coming in equally proportional "slow motion" and being faster as much physically as in perception would likely be able to avoid "regular speed" blows with as much ease.

So far individual traits have been lacking at representing this; "Altered time rate" for instance, doesn't quite represent what it describes and lacks a lot, Particularly in combat(And no, actively choosing different maneuvers with your extra turns to represent this is not the same, at all...). Combining traits is a bit hard as i'm not sure about good proportions of which in order to represent this well(suggestions?). Also, i'm ending up with prohibitively costly combos in order to represent something that's not all that "high tier" in terms of superhuman abilities...

Ideas?
Luxpulcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Concept into mechanics: Superhuman speed(low level "speedstry")

Add to ATR extra Striking ST and Enhanced Defenses.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxpulcher View Post
Ideas?
The Speedster template (GURPS Supers, pg 53) should give you ideas on how to do so using RAW.

Roughly,
Extra Attack
Altered Time Rate
Enhanced Move
Extra Basic Move
Enhanced Dodge
Extra Basic Speed
Enhanced Time Sense
Striking ST
... in assorted combinations and at various levels.

I'd also suggest Enhanced Parry, Enhanced Block and really high skill levels in anything DX related. A high DX and HT would be useful.

You are going to pay a good chunk of points for it. Its' powerful, spotlight-stealing and extremely combat-relevant ... and so it is going to cost.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Salabasama

Indeed, Altered Time Rate is a bit misleading. The opening of the description describes experiencing an extra second per-level, implying a second turn. I don't think the ability should actually include anything in the vein of assisting dodges, to allow for the modification of advantages with as little baggage as possible. Otherwise, things end up like Warp, or Enhanced Time Sense, which includes Combat Reflexes. A player of mine wanted to have Combat Reflexes and ETS, with ETS being drug dependent and Combat Reflexes being always on. I suggested he subtract the cost of Combat Reflexes from ETS after taking both advantages, but the player seemed not to like that solution.
Salabasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Xplo

ATR for extra actions. With 2-4 levels of this, you don't need to mess around with buying up Speed or Move to simulate high-speed running, just take move actions every subjective turn.

Enhanced Time Sense, for obvious reasons.

There aren't any generic mechanics that take subjective attack speed into account when determining target numbers to successfully attack or defend someone moving at a different speed, so there's no advantage that explicitly provides modifiers based on speed. For defenses, you can buy enhanced defenses and just SAY it's because everything is moving in slow motion compared to him; 1-2 levels of enhanced defenses per level of ATR feels about right. (Of course, someone with a dodge in the upper teens will be nearly impossible to hit with ordinary muscle-powered attacks, but that's the point.)

For attacks, I might suggest DX+X (Only to make Deceptive Attacks, -Y%) where X is an even number (perhaps 2*levels of ATR) and Y is... I dunno, something appropriate. 25? It's a little more elegant than buying up a bunch of attack skills, and doesn't make you hyperaccurate, just good at slipping past defenses.

You're not going to be able to do this on a small point budget, though. Abandon the notion. At higher levels this guy would be an urban combat god - as long as his attacks can affect whoever he's fighting - and his abilities would have numerous benefits both in and out of civilian life. It's going to cost accordingly.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxpulcher View Post
. Also, i'm ending up with prohibitively costly combos in order to represent something that's not all that "high tier" in terms of superhuman abilities...

Ideas?
What gives you the idea that it isn't high tier? It puts the character in the Spider-Man/Quicksilver class of combatants.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salabasama View Post
A player of mine wanted to have Combat Reflexes and ETS, with ETS being drug dependent and Combat Reflexes being always on. I suggested he subtract the cost of Combat Reflexes from ETS after taking both advantages, but the player seemed not to like that solution.
Well, you could just apply the Trigger Limitation to the 30-point difference...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
BaHalus

I think it is a good solution. if ets is the second level of the advantage, than a limitation on only this level will limit only the difference.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM   #9
aesir23

I posted a super who has basically the same power here.

She moves at 4 times the speed of those around her, an ability reflected by all of the advantages that have [Time Belt] next to them.

As for the "attacks are harder to defend against" aspect of the character you want, you can buy DX (only for Deceptive Attacks -?).

But keep in mind that characters with Altered Time Rate can afford to take more All-Out Attacks. AoA (Determined) can be converted into a -2 to defend with Deceptive Attack.

So, with Altered Time Rate 2 (Moving 3X as fast as everyone else) you can do AoA Determined/AoA Determined/Regular Attack every round. If you sink the +4 to hit into Deceptive Attack, your opponent will parry at -2/-2/-4 (presuming that they've run out of limbs after 2 parries.) You will still have all of the normal defenses from the round in which you selected Regular Attack.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Salabasama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
...just take move actions every subjective turn.
ATR doesn't give turns. It gives one maneuver. That is suddenly extremely disappointing when you discover it in-game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Well, you could just apply the Trigger Limitation to the 30-point difference...
Yes, that is what I was describing. I meant that the player did not seem satisfied with my suggestion that he break up ETS into CR and ETS', and then just limit ETS'.
Salabasama is offline   Reply With Quote