Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
copeab

Default [WWII] Helijager

So, the PCs may be facing a section of German soldiers using the Heliofly III-57 (p.W:MP76 -- basically a backpack helicopter). The problem is that the payload is extremely limited and I'm trying to figure out what the soldiers would carry.

Payload is 165 lbs. Fuel capacity isn't listed, but I'm going to assume 5 lbs for gas and oil. Figure 8 lbs of uniform* (not including a helmet). That leaves us a 152 lbs. Since the helijager won't be operating at very high altitude or speed (max 45 mph), a jacket probably isn't needed. For weapons, I figure a minimum of one MP40 with three magazines (13.4 lbs) and two "potato masher" grenades (2.6 lbs). This means the soldier can't weigh more than about 136 lbs (and that's with, frankly, insufficient gear). So, what's the lightest I could reasonably make the typical helijager weigh? (if this was a Russian contraption, I'd just make them women ...)

(I suppose I could go with a P3 8 instead of the MP40, but then why bother arming him at all?)

* generic uniform on p.W87

EDIT: For 3e, if it matters to your answer

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com

Last edited by copeab; 02-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [WWII] Helijager

Weren't tank crew and submarine crew selected based on small size during WWII? Astronauts have always been, at least in the sense of rejecting men of above average height.

136 lbs is about 61 kg, which doesn't sound completely unreasonable to me, as something a man of much sleighter frame than me could mass, and still function as a soldier.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Kalzazz

You could make them young adults or such, especially during wartime when recruiting can get whackier. The MP40 requires ST 9 to use, from the basic set 4e book average build for ST 9 is from 105-165, so, could certainly fit

Also I dont think it would strain believability to give them say aluminum magazines and maybe somewhat reworked MP40s to cut down weight a bit (aluminum casings also were used for aircraft ammo supposedly)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Weren't tank crew and submarine crew selected based on small size during WWII? Astronauts have always been, at least in the sense of rejecting men of above average height.

136 lbs is about 61 kg, which doesn't sound completely unreasonable to me, as something a man of much sleighter frame than me could mass, and still function as a soldier.
You got me to check something I had forgotten about. according to one book, the average WWII Japanese soldier was 116-120 lbs. So that probably is reasonable for a *small* German soldier.

Now I just need to figure out what their essential gear the helijager can carry at around 15 lbs.

Last edited by copeab; 02-04-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
You could make them young adults or such, especially during wartime when recruiting can get whackier. The MP40 requires ST 9 to use, from the basic set 4e book average build for ST 9 is from 105-165, so, could certainly fit
Hitler Youth are certainly a possibility, especially since, due to low payload, these are more recon than assault troops.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
Kalzazz

How about issuing a C96 Machine Pistol in 9mm?

Weight 4.2/.7 with stock, and can do 2d+2 if using 9mm. Not quite as good as the MP40, but a lot less weight

The Walther Leuchtpistole is one of my very favorite weapons, and it weighs a measly 1.8 and fires light .2 grenades!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
RyanW

Quote:
How about issuing a C96 Machine Pistol in 9mm?
My first thought was the MAS-38. About as light as you can get in a SMG, and the Germans shouldn't have any problem acquiring enough to equip a small force.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Kalzazz

Where is that from?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
RyanW

Quote:
Where is that from?
(Assuming you're asking me) The MAS-38 is French. It was statted up in Return to Honor, the France book for the WWII line (3e).

Hasn't appeared in anything for 4e.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
Michele

I'd say this would be a special mission, probably behind the enemy lines, against a specific target. So the Jäger would be custom-outfitted. If they're out to infiltrate a HQ to kill a visiting top Allied general, they won't need heavy weapons.

Tags
german, wwii