Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Quickdraw questions

If you quick draw a weapon while holding a different weapon, what happens? Do you drop the first weapon or stow it?
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #2
MikMod

Default Re: Quickdraw questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tywyll View Post
If you quick draw a weapon while holding a different weapon, what happens? Do you drop the first weapon or stow it?
I'd say drop. You're already getting two actions in one turn! Plus it's an emergency right?
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:34 AM   #3
xane

Disengaged you put it away (option (e)) , engaged you drop (option (m)). The Quick Draw Weapon talent just allows you to attack on the same turn.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
Disengaged you put it away (option (e)) , engaged you drop (option (m)). The Quick Draw Weapon talent just allows you to attack on the same turn.
Only if you take option E, which would remove the need to use Quick Draw in the first place. The only reason to use Quick Draw is so you can avoid using a Ready option, and do something else that turn, in which case, if you're readying a weapon that can't be used at the same time as whatever you've got in your hands, you'll need to take the free action of dropping whatever that is - sheathing a ready weapon would require a Ready action.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
JustAnotherJarhead

The rules clearly say, two hands required to use QD, so I can't help but think, short of "dropping" an in hand weapon, how could you use the benefit of QD if you didn't drop it?

I stand corrected, I was pulling from memory and that was a reference to the CODEX General Questions Pg. 1

You are addressing CHANGE weapon.

"option e" threw me off as I was thinking of pg.36 in the new ITL which basically says : Starting with an unreadied weapon, roll 3d vs: DX-2 at the start of your Action phase, Success means your readied it, and may strike. Failure means weapon is not readied and action is lost. A critical failure equals dropped weapon.

But more accurately you asking about CHANGE weapon: Engaged figure; shift ONE hex, or remain still, drop ready weapon (if any) & ready a new non-missle weapon.

You can do a LOT more with these actions if you are not engaged.

Unlike in earlier options, there is NO specific reference to requiring two hands to use this talent.

So... that's a good question, can a two fisted fighter with the appropriate two-weapons talent draw and strike with both of his swords if he makes both AdjDX rolls?

Last edited by JustAnotherJarhead; 07-31-2019 at 07:46 PM.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
xane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL p102 Option (e)
Move up to 2 hexes, resling (not drop) its ready weapon and/or shield, and ready a new weapon and/or shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL p36 Quick Draw (Weapon)
Success means you can ready the weapon and strike on the same turn.
So, using the Talent you can take this option, where you resling your weapon, and you now have an "unreadied weapon", so now quick draw and attack, but only if disengaged.
xane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by xane View Post
So, using the Talent you can take this option, where you resling your weapon, and you now have an "unreadied weapon", so now quick draw and attack, but only if disengaged.
What?

Seems to me no - not unless you also have an imaginary Quick Sheathe talent? ;-)

Looks to me like Quick Draw would be used with an Attack option, and only on weapons that were slung someplace they could be quick-drawn from.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
KevinJ

If you want to switch weapons you have two choices, spend a turn sheathing one and drawing the other (unengaged) or drop the one and draw the other (engaged).

Quickdraw only means you can attack with the quickly drawn weapon on the same turn you use Quickdraw. If you don't get an attack, quickdraw is meaningless.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
JustAnotherJarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post

So... that's a good question, can a two-fisted fighter with the appropriate two-weapons talent draw AND strike with BOTH of his swords if he makes both AdjDX rolls?
Any veterans here that can shed some light on this?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #10
Original_Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherJarhead View Post
Any veterans here that can shed some light on this?
I'm no veteran, but I think this works out as long as on a normal ready weapon action you could ready both swords (and I think you can, as I read the rules).

I see several balancing factors to allowing this amazing play.

1. It's going to cost you a few talents.

2. You'll have to roll your adjDex twice to draw and ready both weapons to strike. If you miss one of those rolls, you drop the weapon and lose your action. If it's the second one, your primary is ready, but you can't use it until next round. YMMV on this.

3. The second attack is at -4 adjDex. Given that, if you wanted to limit it more because it's just too darn powerful, make the hero roll the second Quickdraw at -4 adjDex. I think that's within the spirit of the rules.

Good luck. Makes me think of a a samurai game with all the quickdraw and strike.

-C
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote