Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Campaign prospectus time again

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
A Very Distant Mirror
The setting looks interesting, but the stated activity does not. If I could be sure the above-ground stuff would be emphasized, might spring for it.

Quote:
Passage Crew
Figuring out how traveler is supposed to work is on my todo list. This looks like it might be a good take. So I might go for it, not because its the most appealing, but because this is a classic setting I want to experience for myself.

Quote:
Hurricane Season
I like monster hunters, but the "punk" feel of the campaign prospectus would really rub me wrong. I wouldn't go for this.

Quote:
Very High External Pressure
This setting feels fresh and new enough, and exploring such things sounds appealing. This is probably the option that would be most appealing to me.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #12
Phantasm

Hurricane Season sounds like Florida Man will be working overtime alongside Mayhem.... :)

Honestly, though, none of these really shout "Play me!" at me, though Hurricane Season may be close.

My choices, in order of yes to no, would be Hurricane Season, Very High External Pressure, Passage Crew, and then A Very Distant Mirror.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 08-09-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
tshiggins

Quote:
Agreed, I watched and enjoyed most of that.

Another:

Very High External Pressure

The setting: Alt-1960s, as the 1930s-model solar system (think Space 1889 more or less, though without the Martian canals) is being opened up by spacecraft with offboard plasma propulsion (that's Project Orion to you and me). Colonists are heading for Mars and Venus, only to learn that humanity is not alone.

The characters: The USN and VKF are stern-jawed scientists and military men, making the worlds safe for democracy or communism respectively. The RN makes do with the USN's leavings and tries to put its own print on a new age of colonialism.

The activities: as crew aboard a relatively small ship (though even the smallest are 300 tons), explore the surprisingly habitable solar system, and deal with human-enemy plots and alien subversion, as well as potential ancient supertech.

Cold War tropes, big fins and lots of chrome, Nazi remnants, swampy Venus…
I'd play in this. :)

Have you read S. M. Stirling's Lords of Creation books? This setting resembles that one, quite a bit.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:38 AM   #14
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
I'd play in this. :)

Have you read S. M. Stirling's Lords of Creation books? This setting resembles that one, quite a bit.
I haven't. I didn't think much of his Draka books (too much dwelling on the horrors for my taste); but it looks as if he may have matured as a writer since then.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #15
tshiggins

Quote:
I haven't. I didn't think much of his Draka books (too much dwelling on the horrors for my taste); but it looks as if he may have matured as a writer since then.
The Draka stories are some of his first. Frankly, everything he's written since then is better.

That said, the Draka books are oddly comforting, once you understand exactly how much Stirling had to skew reality just to create the possibility of their existence. The Draka cannot possibly exist in any world that features anything even remotely resembling actual human behavior.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prospectus