Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Original_Carl

Default Spear Thrower

Greetings Again,

I recently made some figures for my continued experiments with the Death Test and created a hero who had Thrown Weapons, Pole Arms, and Spear Thrower for talents. The theory was that he'd be a javelineer. He was very effective and that made me ask some questions.

In Advanced Combat, it states that the spear thrower, "is considered a missile weapon for computing adjDex." Adding two hits to the damage of the spear or javelin is straightforward and clear. As is its usefulness as a club. Why bring missile weapons into this?

1) What does, "is considered a missile weapon for computing adjDex," mean?

2) Does the spear thrower change the javelin or spear into a missile weapon?

3) If this is the case, and my hero picked up the Missile Weapons feat, would Thrown Weapons stack with it, giving him adjDex +5?

Thanks once again for your thoughtful answers.

-Carl
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Spear Thrower

It means you use the range rules for missile weapons when computing to-hit penalties for a spear thrower. That's it. I don't think there is any reasonable case to be made that it lets you stack the bonuses for thrown weapons and missile weapons talents.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Helborn

1) What larsdangly said
2) No, it only uses the Missile Weapon range adjustments (like the boomerang)
3) You can make a case that if you have Thrown Weapons you get the +2DX when throwing a spear or javelin. But, definitely Missile Weapon Talents do not stack. (They never stack with Thrown Weapons).

I would suggest you test the various options and see which makes your contests more playable and which make them less fun/more overpowered.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:45 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

Here's a tiny related question if anyone knows the answer...

When adding +2 damage to a spear flung with a spear thrower, are we to add the +2 to the spear's one-handed damage (1d) or two-handed damage (1d+1)?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
Skarg

I would say all thrown spears should use the one-handed damage, as I don't know of a way (in reality) to use two hands to throw a spear harder.

(Though on the other hand... a person can involve their other hand/arm in giving more thrust to the throwing hand, by moving that arm and shoulder/torso in the opposite direction during the throw. But I don't know how much having a shield on the left arm/hand would or would not interfere with that - maybe it wouldn't, so back to my first answer.)

Last edited by Skarg; 08-06-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Axly Suregrip

I agree with Skarg:

Spear thrown by Spear thrower is always a one handed spear. And I agree it only makes sense that the spear without the spear thrower is also thrown with one hand.

But I do find it odd that the "Spear (2 hands)" listing in the weapons table has an * asterisks indicating it may be thrown. If a player with no other weapon/shield in hand insisted on getting 1+1 damage with his thrown spear I would allow it. I would not allow it with a Spear Thrower.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I would say all thrown spears should use the one-handed damage, as I don't know of a way (in reality) to use two hands to throw a spear harder.
https://neulioncs.hs.llnwd.net/pics3...0318212040.jpg

That's a link to a defensive lacrosse stick, which would be the position I'd expect to see with a two-handed spear thrower.

That being said, despite no small amount of looking, I can find zero images of a spear-thrower actually being used with two hands, though quite a lot of one-handed ones. Hmm. That's not what I'd have thought, but there we go.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 AM   #8
JustAnotherJarhead

It takes two hands to ready a spear or javelin onto a spear thrower and throw it.
The mechanical advantage gives it additional damage, the second hand gives it additional range, thats how I always envisioned it.

As for the comment about 2 handed spear, I never actually considered it a "different" weapon, a stick with a dagger on the end is pretty much face value, it's just a regular single handed spear that can be thrown for 1 d6, OR used as a melee weapon in two hands for additional damage.

I realize there is that little comment in the weapon notes about being 2.5 meters or sometimes longer, but look at the weight, it's the same, so it's really not a bigger or larger weapon, just used differently for additional damage, much like a bastard sword, one handed vs: two handed.

Not only is this a COOL video, if you watch it all the way you will See he does need two hands to use it properly, but it's pretty damn impressive.

http://youtu.be/rrlr02YDr5A

Last edited by JustAnotherJarhead; 08-08-2019 at 04:59 AM.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
Skarg

I think it helps if you have a Spear Thrower reduce the effective range, to a minimum of 1, rather than give a +4, because while it makes sense to me it would help you hit at long range, I don't see it making you more accurate at very short range, which IME is a very effective way to use a Spear Thrower in TFT, especially if you have friends keeping enemies from rushing you. Double-especially if you are playing with the optional Aimed Shots rules, in which case you can get some extremely high adjDX, triply-so if the GM is letting you stack the Thrown Weapons bonus.

e.g. ST 11 DX 13 Thrown Weapons, Spear Thrower calculated as DX 13 +2 + 4 = 19 !?!? 17 also seems excessive. I prefer 13 or maybe 15 with a -4 adjustment to effective range.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
JustAnotherJarhead

I'm in agreement with Skarg.

but, I think I missed something... a Spear Thrower adds to damage, and increases effective range.

Where did this +4 To Hit modifier come from?
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote